Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

He’s going to get a PL medal before us :neutral_face:

Just like all the rest that left us.

2 Likes

If only Hector Bellerin did end heading to City in the summer, bang average footballer.

I can probably go out and buy a PL winners medal and act like I deserve it too.

2 Likes

Is all this talk about City’s unlimited warchest your admission that in the 15/16 season we blew our only opportunity to become champions again ?

I mean shit happens, it’s a 100% nailed on guarantee that if Arsenal spent a billion dollars and just bought whomever they pleased we’d have won the title, especially that year probably with 90+ points.

First Conte, now City players. Josè just can’t take it.

Man City have spent, and spent well.
They have got a squad full of very good players and have a great manager, the owners have done everything they possibly can to get to the top.
Just compare that to what our owner does, which is the bare minimum.

They have spent more than us, but we have spent more than Leicester, spurs and Liverpool, so we should be finishing above them.
We are losing o clubs like Stoke and Watford, and they have no players that would get in our first team.
We are stagnating and watching other clubs that spend less than us catching us up.
It’s not all about them spending more, it’s more about them actually running a football club properly.

None of it, their money though.

Anyway you right it now its a 2 tier top 6. Top 3 can sort things out in any given transfer window now. Us, Liverpool and Spurs are going to find it hard sustaining real challengers now. Every 18 months your under threat of losing your top players in a way that hasnt happened before.
Pull the club up all you like and I will likely join you on most arguments, but some sort of regulating needs to be brought in here for the future credibility of the game imo.

1 Like

It’s not nailed on though is it, because United have spent basically the same money the last few years and got nowhere.

You can argue that United might deserve their money more than City but I’d rather promote the City / Pep style of spending to play football than the United / Mourinho style of spending to do fuck all. If United don’t compete this season (I think they will do reasonably well but they might not) then he should get big questions.

Also a lot of City’s spending is luxuries and pointlessness too. E.g. 40m on Bernardo Silva was completed unnecessary (guessing he’s one for the future) but United could have attracted a coach of the calibre of Guardiola but went for someone they didn’t seem to want that much, and United could have assembled the exact team City have but they didn’t bother. They were having Matas rather than Silvas, Fellainis rather than Fernandinhos, Lukakus rather than Agueros, Martials rather than Sanes, Mkhitaryans rather than De Bruynes and the result is two expensive teams that look miles apart.

2 Likes

Since city have been building their team they’ve actually spent 1.25 billion, the core of these title winning teams are still there contributing. Kompany, Fernandinho, Aguero, plus their new acquisitions. United in the same time period have only spent a billion so guess what, second place in spending 2nd place in the PL for them. I imagine if they spend 300m more on top talent they’ll get their CL title soon enough. Besides City only finished like 3 points ahead of us last year, then they spent even more so I’m sure united will just throw more money at their problems until they get it right.

1 Like

These arguments of yours are getting tiresome. In fact, if you were paying attention, there are parts that contradict themselves. Such as:

Indeed, City only finished like 3 pts ahead of us last year. What do you think is the big difference this season, where they have won 15 out of 16 games, and are 17 pts ahead of us after 16 games? Is it that the £50m signing of Kyle Walker + Ederson has made 14 pts difference ahead of our £50m signing of Alexandre Lacazette?

If you look at our starting XIs, ours is extremely powerful, in terms of spending. The problem is that the combination of on who we’ve spent, and the coaching of on who we’ve spent, is light years away from the corollary at City. But when you throw out these figures of 1.25 billion or whatever other misleading bollocks you come up with, all it does is muddy the picture. The significant difference between us and City is coaching. In terms of economic level they are certainly above but not enough above–maybe if they had acquired a Neymar, Messi, Mbappé level player your arguments might be a bit less weak–that we cannot compete or to explain away such a vast difference in quality between the teams. Indeed, when you look at the lineups:

Bellerín-Koscielny-Mustafi-Monreal-Kolasinac
Xhaka-Ramsey
Özil-Sánchez
Lacazette

and

Walker-Stones-Otamendi-Delph
Fernandinho-De Bruyne
Sterling-Silva-Sané
Jesus/Agüero

There is simply not that massive of a gulf in quality on paper. Later, you see how players like Sané, Sterling, Jesus, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Stones, Otamendi–okay, just realised I could basically name the whole team–have come on by leaps and bounds under Pep’s coaching, and you look at our players and it’s a very different story…

So please, save us this talk. The massive difference between City and Arsenal is the management–first the hiring of football people by City who could get them Pep in the first place (and the type of people who would never have put up with the kind of results Arsène has produced for so long), then better quality of signings under Pep and far, far better coaching. It helps to more money but there are better managers out there who would dream to have the resources Arsène has under his disposal.

10 Likes

Im not really arguing with anyone lol, it’s just the way it is. We hardly spend so when we do we really have to get it right, we havent. They spend, spend some more, and when they get it wrong fuck it let’s just throw more money at it, that should fix it. Great strategy tbh cause it’s working like a fucking charm.

Btw the talent they buy is relative to the league they are in. They buy better players than what is in the PL rt now, the best players around the world right now are at PSG, Real, and Barca. If City win the CL then I’ll admit Pep is only slightly a check book merchant.

1 Like

I bet the same managers would have created a fuss during the debt era.
No manager out there would have shown the same loyalty that Wenger did between 2004-2014.

Each one of Mourinhos, Guardiolas, Ancelottis, Contes would have cried about lack of funds.

Bullshit.

When you look at that City 11 though do you see a 15-1-0 type side on paper ?

When you look at Arsenal side, do you see a side which is just marginally behind City?
Because that is my argument, not whether City deserve to be a 15-1-0 side or not.

Stop iterating same thing again and again.

Not sure about marginally but certainly not a whopping 17 points less than halfway through the season.

I only care about that much.

If after spending a billion, if they were not minimum of 15 points ahead, I would have called them a failure.

It’s a whooping BILLION DOLLARS we are talking about.

1 Like

Quite honestly, after spending close to billion dollars on players in just 3 windows, if Guardiola doesn’t win 3 back to back PLs & CLs, He is a failure.

Don’t care if you guys think the players are not billion dollar quality, it is still a billion dollar spent. Pep has to deliver multiple PL & CL.
Else he is fraud.

1 Like