Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

Or Arteta as a footballer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you really think that Man City team is full of world class players? Because I donā€™t.

I think Pep has them playing like they are though.

3 Likes

They have a damn good squad tbf and definitely a few WC players like De Bruyne, Aguero, Silva, etc. what is impressive is how he has them so cohesive and organized and has integrated (and developed to some degree) Jesus, Sterling, and others into really top players. He deserves massive credit for the way they are playing and racking up points, but they are a very good group of players and are now reaching their potential.

2 Likes

They routinely have one of Aguero/Jesus, B. Silva and Gundogan on the bench. Itā€™s a very good squad. Unreal achievements from Pep so far though.

1 Like

According to a Man City fan, Arteta probably is more of a 4th right hand man than a right hand man to Pep:

Heā€™s one of 3 assistants with Domenec Torrent and Brian Kidd but then Manel Estiarte is Pepā€™s right hand man, and Carles Planchart is the head analyst and Pep talks go them all about the same amount on the touch line.
Wouldnā€™t think Arteta is that high up the hierarchy, I think heā€™s mostly a link between players and coaches, and someone who helped Pep adapt to England.

Wouldnā€™t count on Arteta being manager material any time soon if heā€™s basically just a messenger boy for Pep and the players/coaches.

They do have a good squad. Arguably the best in the league. But itā€™s not a million miles away from Chelsea or Man Utd. or to a lesser extent, us and Spurs.

But I think if you put Pep in any of the top six teams, theyā€™d be doing this.

2 Likes

Cityā€™s squad last season was better than most, yet he didnā€™t do as well as he should have.
He does need a certain set of players to execute his football.

I donā€™t think every club can afford to bring in what he needs. certainly not Arsenal.

1 Like

I think heā€™d do it on a shoestring budget :slight_smile:

Seems like people make it too binary - I look at it more as Baseball analytics (WAR or variant)ā€¦ to me, he either adds wins to a team via his tactics and management (harder to factor in transfers unless you have longer tenure, but you can certainly judge them as well) or he doesnā€™t - obviously the players you have at your disposal are the single most important variableā€¦ to me, he is the highest WAR (or to use a football variant PAR (points above replacement) manager in the world right now.

Iā€™m not even sure it is close. I donā€™t even really like Pep, but damn he is Fergie-good right now and perhaps leaves with a legacy similar to Fergie, albeit in a very different manner.

What I have to respect the hell out of is also the fact that his teams (bar a short period for Barca where they really were kind of annoyingly boring and maybe that was simply b/c they were so dominant in possession) are really entertaining and play great attacking football and make use of supremely talented attacking players to their maximum.

2 Likes

Thank god someone finally wrote this. Totally necessary to the argument and the nonsense that Trion and a4tt bring to the table.

I would rate Pep above Fergie, too, but thatā€™s just me. You might need look no further than how much better Pepā€™s BarƧa teams were than Fergieā€™s United teams and the fact that Fergie openly recognised that playing against Pepā€™s BarƧa made him rethink his position on the type of players/play he needed to open his mind up to.

The bolded should practically be copy and pasted in any further discussion of Pep on this board, to avoid the kind of poor discussion/weak playing down of Pep that Trion and a4tt and perhaps a couple others regularly engage in.

Itā€™s not as if he has gone out and bought the best players in Europe.
A lot of his first team were already there when he arrived and signings like Stones, Walker, Jesus, Sane, Ederson, Mendy etc were all within our price range.

He has also turned players like Sterling, Delph, Otamendi, Fernandinho etc, into first team regulars and important to the first team.

They are playing the best football in Europe with players that were all within the other top clubs budget, including us, and it is nearly all down to Guardiola, who could also have been within our reach if we had an owner with any imagination or ambition.

It is hard to judge due to eras, but I wouldnā€™t disagree if he continues like this for another decade or twoā€¦ what joins the two is their willingness to play actual football, attack, and play with flair and guts - to own up to their financial might and run with it, unlike that cowardly cretin Mou.

2 Likes

Which was my point. Iā€™m yet to see him do that.

ā€œdo itā€ meaning what exactly? It is a stupid point to make b/c no manager in the world can reliably win ā€œon a shoestring budgetā€ - to my point above, he adds points to his squads, periodā€¦ in my opinion more than any other manager out thereā€¦ doesnā€™t mean he turns Huddersfield into champions of Europe though, but that is a stupid way to look at it.

1 Like

In the modern era of football? No chance

Heā€™d achieve limited success if he ever came to Arsenal but sustained on a finite budget? donā€™t think so tbh

1 Like

Stupid? Quoting @Jules but meaning me?

The concept - saying that ā€œhe hasnā€™t done it with a small clubā€ is meaningless in this era. The true test of great managers nowadays is whether they can take a big club and deliver the good reliably - he is the epitome of that and frankly is taking ManCity to a whole new level atm. I think he would do better than any other manager at any club probably, but that just means he would have more points than them, not that he would necessarily win titlesā€¦ it is unclear tbf what you guys mean by ā€œdo itā€ or ā€œdo thatā€ in your points, so maybe I was a bit harsh.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call Everton, Sevilla or Lazio small clubs. If it was Crystal Palace or similar however I totally agree with you. Itā€™s an impossible thing to measure, but it would be interesting to see if his managing skills would be enough to make a team (right under the top) take the next step. Thatā€™s why I praise Simone and Klopp a great deal. They have had limited resources and not that many WC IMO.

1 Like

I do rate Pep very highly and the football he gets his teams playing, but Iā€™d love to see him manage a club thatā€™s next tier down, eg Arsenal, Liverpool, Roma, Sevilla etc

1 Like

Whatā€™s WAR & PAR?