Mesut Özil

You cray

2 Likes

So apparently some players still want to play for this old fool :wenger:

Why do you think he joined Arsenal in the first place?

Because he was surplus to requirements at Real Madrid, and they needed to sell a big player to get Bale.

I could also ask you, why have all our best players previously left us and gone to bigger, more ambitious clubs?

But why Arsenal?

The reason why our best players left us & why Ozil according to you will leave us for was obvious even back then.
Infact the chances of winning trophies was lot less back then.

Because David Moyes turned down signing him for Man United and no other club who was bigger were willing to pay the fee and wages.

Football is simple economics, money pretty much always wins out. Which is why Adebeyor left us for a nothing club like City and they were a nothing club back then.

Ozil could have rejected the offer if he didn’t think Arsenal was the right club for him.

He could have, but we were the only club willing to pay what Real Madrid wanted and most other top clubs didn’t need him.

I’m not saying he didn’t want to come here but if Bayern Munich, Barcelona or maybe Man City had come in for him, I’m sure he would have had preferred to go to a club that already had several world class players there.

When he came here, we had no world class players, in fact we had a reputation of selling them rather than buying them.
So the reason he is stalling on new contract would indicate that he wants to make sure he is at a club that meet with his own ambitions.

Let’s hope Wenger can persuade him that we are going to buy a world class striker, even if we haven’t managed to get one since RVP left.

Ozil is the best player, in his position, probably in Europe, so it would be fair for him to think that he needs players playing upfront, with him, to be a better standard than Giroud, Welbeck or Walcott.

No buts. He had all the rights to reject an offer, wait 6 months & move in winter. Would have had plenty of options by then.

It was Wenger who convinced him to do it then.

Wenger was under immense pressure to make a big signing.
In the previous seasons we had only sold top players, while buying average ones, it was an opportunity Wenger couldn’t refuse, so waiting until the next transfer window wouldn’t have been an option.

Not for Wenger but I am talking about Ozil.
Just like Mahrez apparently rejected Arsenal to wait for better clubs.

But Real Madrid needed to sell Ozil to fund the move for Bale, so there was now way Ozil could have waited.
They were going to beat the transfer record, and couldn’t do it without selling one of their big name players.
Ozil wasn’t needed and they offered him to us, for what was a reasonable price, and we bought him.

I hope he does sign, because he is our best player, and we can’t replace him, but the fact he hasn’t signed obviously means that Ozil is considering his options, which considering his status and our lack of a world class striker, is understandable.

He could have but we were the best club in for him and he was being pushed out.

The thing about Ozil is a I remember in his second season Wenger saying that he’s happier here now, alluding to the fact he wasn’t initially.

Why would there have been more options in the winter after everyone turned him down in the summer already?

He’s stalling because he wants the best deal on the market. We’re probably going to have to offer 250k if we’re going to match what a rival is offering.

That didn’t happen, he was interesting in coming but Leicester’s valuation was too much for us. He’s come out and pretty much said as much.

Because He is a world class player whose availability of too much of a last minute news for clubs to react.
You really think Ozil would have had trouble getting clubs interested in him.

Just realised the typo in my post which made it sound something completely different.
I meant to say He instead of ‘We had all the rights’.

1 Like

Didn’t he say Wenger convinced him to join us?

It wasn’t last minute, they were touting him weeks and maybe months before we bid. He was probably told he’d be sold at the beggining of the window.

It was a toss up between Benzema, Di Maria & Ozil as to who would make way for Bale.
Ancelotti was to decide & he wasn’t hired till Mid June. He has to then which of them he would let go.

There were plenty of articles in preceeding months where Ozil & Agent said he is going nowhere.

'I am happy to be a Real Madrid and proud to be part of this team. I have a contract until 2016.‘It
is an honour and a privilege to be part of this team. I am flattered
that great teams are interested in me. But I have a contract at Real
Madrid and I will stay. There is no discussion.’

That was Ozil on August 28.

If not last minute, He was informed at the very end of transfer window.
Don’t think he was prepared to leave Real until Ancelotti made it clear he was not in his plans & Wenger worked his magic.

Ozil admitted that being wanted by Wenger on multiple occasion - first when he was in Werder Bremen & next weeks before his Arsenal arrival.

Ozil should have waited for more options if he wanted to win trophies, because lets be honest we were a team with only Cazorla to speak about & were trophyless for a decade.
If not for Wenger element, Arsenal wouldn’t even have crossed his mind.

I refuse to believe that we, Arsenal football club, a club known at the time for not paying the going rate in terms of fees and salaries, were the only option for Mesut.

This is mesut fucking ozil. The best ‘10’ in world football. He came here because he wanted to come, not because he was out of options.

Sadly we will never know the whole truth, but I would wager that he has zero intention of leaving.

The entire world knew who he was at the time and knew Madrid were going to move someone on. I would imagine enquiries for him were near endless.

1 Like

The enquiries would indeed have been endless. He came because of Wenger though, not because Arsenal carries a huge name in Europe. He probably got given great advice from colleagues at the time and probably had a tour of the state of the art facilities etc. Wenger assured him he would be the star man, and I even think the Premier League has made him a better player moreso.