Mesut Özil

We were paying Arteta, Flamini and Diaby more than 200k a week between them.

What’s better, a true world class player for 250k, or three inadequate players for around the same money?

Pay them what they deserve.
If we don’t, I can guarantee another club will.

4 Likes

We may not have to go to 250 but we certainly have to pay our superstars the going rate. Pogba, Aguero, Rooney, Yaya are all in that neighborhood, with Hazard, Fabregas, Silva all reportedly around 200.

If we want to have some of the best players in the world we can’t expect them to accept substantially lower wages than other top players. This is a market. We aren’t so special that a player will accept millions less in earnings just to wear our shirt.

1 Like

Would cost more to replace them so a no-brainier really.

1 Like

Hazard is on over 200k at the Chavs as well as Mkhitaryan and Pogba over that at United etc

Just like fees wages have changed exponentially as well particularly for key players at top clubs, they say you’re only worth what you can negotiate and considering how pivotal both of them are they should be able to push for that no question.

Even if this were true and they ask for 250k they would likely find a compromise at like 220k or something which is the going rate now.

2 Likes

Agreed. Them opening fresh negotiations at £250k means little - agent’s playing hardball before arriving at a more regular wage (I would imagine around the 200k mark myself)

1 Like

Yeah, I see this story as good news in that this seems to be in the reasonable ballpark and I’m sure 250K is just an opening bid.

My big fear is that Alexis will simply refuse to sign a new contract or only sign one if it contains a release clause that another big club would have little problem triggering, leaving us with lots of money and no comparable world class attackers to spend it on. If its just a matter of money and all he really wants is something in the 220-230K per week range - which he is completely entitled to and worth in my opinion - then that is great.

Ozil and Sanchez are the main reason we have got CL football since they have been here.
If that isn’t worth 250k a week, which is the going rate for a top class footballer, then what is?

1 Like

They are two WC players so they deserve to get paid more. It’s the Ox and Rambo who are overpayed.

1 Like

I don’t care if it takes 350k a week. Sign them up.

1 Like

We are going to have to pay them 200K plus and we would be idiots not to as we wont be playing CL football regularly without them.

3 Likes

@Midfield_Maestro Jakey posted that in this very thread yesterday and got 10 likes :wink:

2 Likes

Like off. Guys of OA, you have 24 hours. PEOPLE. PICK YOUR FAVOURITE!

Players were earning £250k a week years ago, so it’s not unrealistic to think the two best players at Arsenal (supposedly the 6th richest club in the world) would be getting something near that. They’re both certainly worth £200k in todays money. But yeah, basically whatever it takes is worth it.

1 Like

Oops

Don’t feel bad it’s not even that funny to begin with.

2 Likes

Grumpy Castiel.
It’s funny.
Don’t lie, you exhaled air out your nose when you first read that.

Pay them the 250k please.

Pay them what the final negotiated price comes at.

Nope. Is the picture not like a six months old anyway with the old joke being about him praying for a new striker?