Mesut Özil

So am I right to say, if the team doesn’t turn up. It’s okay for Ozil to not perform as well?

1 Like

He still created the most chsnces.

And they should have been buried.

4 Likes

Ozil is way too one-sided for the modern game. He is only good in assists. He isn’t a goalscorer, he isn’t a leader or a influencer, he doesn’t have grit, can’t defend and definitely cannot be the backbone of a team.

It has been said that he is a luxury player and hate it or love it, it’s true. If everything else in a team is well and functioning, then it’s good to have him, but very few clubs can afford that. For everyone else, he is a waste of space.

5 Likes

Ozil just isn’t a main-man, that’s all. He’s a luxury bonus player who only adds to an already good, coherent team.

I can see why it might make more sense to build our team around Ramsey or Auba. Ozil is like the medic in Team Fortress 2.

He isn’t a Gerrard or Drogba or Eriksen who takes charge and takes action and says “we’re going to win this” and scores the goals.

3 Likes

Lol, still trying with that.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say he’s a luxury player, but I would say that he does his job, which is to set up the strikers.

If the strikers are firing, he will be lauded and get praise, if they aren’t he won’t pick up the mantle.

That’s the difference between him and Kroos I guess.

From watching the 2 of them, I think Kroos played worse at all times, but he saved Germany Vs Sweden with that goal, and that will save him from most criticism. But Ozil won’t do that.

Also Ozil isn’t a good blonde hair blue eyes German boy like Kroos so he is on for a pasting. I think he should be fine though, he’s dealt with this before.

AfD already on the case.

I saw enough to think that he will be on it next season tbh. Auba will pick up his passes.

1 Like

Nerd !

People shouldnt worry about Mesut. Now he will get a good long rest, a good tan and loads of sex. He will come back stronger for Unais army to lift the prem !

1 Like

Hes the ultimate luxury player. If he was at city hes majestic. He just cant drop a level below. It has to be a perfect storm or its nothing.
Hes a passenger if the units not on top. Tbh hes pretty much worked out now by opposition on a regular basis. Hes not going to be your general or game breaker in many more games now.

It’s like you didn’t even watch the Liverpool game…
@stroller

Should only focus on Arsenal now. His international career is over at this age.

2 Likes

Overstating the case imo

1 Like

Take both perfonces against Liverpool and tell me which performance we seen most of the last 2 seasons.

By that standard, every one of our players is a fraud.

1 Like

Most are so focused on what happens in the final third that they forget who kicks off these moves from deep, or wide or anywhere else. You lot only ever appreciate Özil’s contributions when he’s involved in the final part of a team move.

Özil’s ability to work these situations with his touch, his choices and patience in all situations consistently makes him the invaluable player that he is.

Today he showcased that in a situation where Korea had an airtight defence and Germany had the world of pressure on them.

This is where people who properly understand and appreciate what actually makes a football team click are separated from the rest. You have to be that kind of fan to understand the value of Özil. He’s not a player for the stats crowd he’s a true team player and creative midfielder.

6 Likes

Well said sir !

Hahaha definitely doesn’t help he’s off shaking hands with Islamist dictators and basically saying he’s loyal to Turkey over Germany :rofl:

Combine that with the fact that he never turns up in crunch times, no wonder he gets shit. Has nothing to do with him not being blonde haired or blue-eyed.

@TheSpecialCnut

Well, it’s true. Eriksen is a game changer and a game winner, Ozil most certainly isn’t.

1 Like

Everyone else gets their share of stick and rightly so. When it comes to Ozil people go full on defensive mode. Dont see enough to justify it personally.

Did he not just turn up today while all his teammates were broken men?

2 Likes

Madness in the ozil thread :giroud3: