Mauro Icardi

Yes, and they’re not very good.

Or at least they weren’t very good this season. It’s basically a case of a high conversation rate and not much else. Not something that I think is particularly promising. A high shot volume, with the same amount of goals, would have been more interesting.

1 Like

I am not against the idea to sign him up, but won’t treat him as a savior to us.
At least ability-wise, they are close, not like Sanogoal.
This should be a healthy competition and no need to see Giroud having the annual goal scoring drought without having another striker to step in.

Are they though ? Icardi might be super effiecent at converting chances but the other aspects of his game are limited to say the least & I can’t help but feel he was one of the reasons Mancini’s men looks so disjointed going forward at times last season.

For me to get the best out of a 4-2-3-1 you need a cross between a number nine and a number 10 leading the line I’m not saying Girouds than by any means but he does bring alot more to the table than Inters out an out number 9 in my opinion but wtf do I know ay hah.

1 Like

She is in London.

She has just tweeted from London. So something in those reports at least.

This would be such an underwhelming signing. Dosnt take us anywhere except have an OK option to play up front in the absence of Giroud. Meh.

She’s playing some sort of game for sure, no way we buy or even a solid interest in Icardi.

3 Likes

Totally agree. She talked with media (radio and tv), started to follow Juventus on Twitter and now is tweeting about a lovely day in London when the italian papers are talking about his meeting with Arsenal.

She wants only more money from Inter, she wants only a better contract.

I disagree here. In the context of Arsenal we just need a pure number 9 ie pace, clinical finishing, intelligence in the final third, basic link and hold up play. I wouldn’t burden our CF with a responsibility to help create when we have Ozil creating a significant number already.

I think I’m the only one here who actually wants him at Arsenal…

He adds another dimension to our play; and let’s be honest, he’ll cost half as much as Higuain and is 6 years younger.

I want him.

1 Like

I don’t think he adds another dimension to our play, his general play, dribbling and link up play is pretty sub par

But on the plus side he is a better finisher than anyone we have, he can turn with his back to goal, decent first touch, he can run in behind somewhat (not fast but quicker than Giroud) and he’s decent from set pieces albeit not as physical as Giroud. Plus he’s only 23 and already smashed 22 goals in the league.

It’s uninspiring but maybe he could be an upgrade and do a job.

The only alternative seems to be Higuain who is 6 years older and over double the cost.

Ultimately Arsenal have a budget, and spending less opens up other doors for a CB or Winger.

I have no idea what will happen, nor any figure of possibility, but I am intrigued by Icardi.

Probably. Though didn’t Wenger say he’s happy with the quality of the squad but we’re short on numbers? :worried:

Are you saying he’s a cunt oompa ?

Higuain isn’t the only option although he is far better than Icardi right now. There’s Lacazette, Morata, Benteke, Borja Baston and Lucas Perez. All on par or better than Icardi for my money.

Fatality.

7 Likes

Just watched the 40 goals he scored for Inter in the last two seasons.

Excellent finisher, always chases the ball down, even if his first touch isn’t great he still manages to make the most of it often resulting in a goal.

Not super fast or an amazing dribbler but he causes defences a lot of trouble and it seems like if you just get the ball to him in the area there’s a high chance he’ll score.

Will probably only get better from here on out as well, sign him up.

I haven’t watched Icardi play enough to have much of an opinion of him and his playstyle. But looking through some statistics this morning I think there is some substantial reason for optimism about him.

1. He is super young, not much older than Batshuayi and younger than Morata while having accomplished much more than either. In 14-15, he had 22 goals and 8 assists playing most of that year as a 21-year-old and averaged more than a goal or assist per 90 minutes. Those kind of numbers at that age are ridiculously rare and he did it for a team was pretty mediocre offensively in general. His goal tally fell off this year but a lot of that seems to be due to team dynamics - his conversion rate went up but his opportunities went way down as Inter just struggled massively to produce chances.

2. His lack of involvement in the offense more generally might be exaggerated. In 14-15, when Inter was a bit more functional but still not anything approaching a dominant offensive team, he averaged about 19 passes per game. That is low for a striker but its not that far off some of the numbers that a player like Aguero has put up over the years (he has averaged about 23-24 passes per game at City) while playing for a team that regularly has 65% possession. Icardi has also averaged .9 and 1 key passes per game the last two years while collecting 12 assists in domestic league play and creating 66 chances (total over the last two years in Serie A). All of those numbers are equal to or better than Giroud’s. Overall, I wouldn’t argue with the idea that link up play isn’t his strongest suit, but I’m not sure its a fatal flaw (Aguero’s passing numbers at Atletico were similar for example) and his track record for playing the key ball in the final third is actually surprisingly good, particularly when you consider how shit the offensive talent has been around him.

3. His conversion rate is just really, really good. It could be just a run of luck but it could also indicate a pretty rare talent for finding the net, which is what this team needs more than anything.

6 Likes

And all of that in a league like Seria A wich be clever tactically it’s the most important thing. If he can find the net there, what he could do in England with more space and more and better oportunities to find the net? We need goals, no more link up play or chances created, we need a striker that can score a decent amount of goals. Besides, having Giroud in the squad will give us two very different types of players, if one doesn’t work we can put the other. And even the two if we’re chasing a goal.

Also, here in Argentina so many people thinks he has to be the no1 striker ahead of Higuain, but he isn’t because Mascherano doesn’t like him since he’s a friend of Maxi Lopez.

3 Likes

The politics of the national team seem fierce :fearful:

1 Like