Marc Overmars

Receiving a lot of criticsm for the current state of Ajax. I’m not convinced of him joining us in two years, if Wenger leaves, being a good thing.

Overmars linked to Arsenal return… again.

Overmars (and Bergkamp) is getting his fair share of criticism as TD for Ajax. Not sure we should put him at the helm of our football operations.

I wouldn’t be against taking the gamble with Pires. Even if he hasn’t proven anything to get that role. Because of the French connection we’ll maintain and I guess he has put in work as far as his network goes as an Arsenal ambassador.

It’s hard to say who will make a good TD anyway. Monchi, Emenalo, Sammer, Beguiristan, Rangnick, Vasilyev . A few of better known football directors/vice-presidents of football at various clubs; there doesn’t seem to be a pattern at all. Ex-players, extensive careers as managers or no background in football at all.

1 Like

This all sounds so familiar.

But what do Traoré and Dost have in common? Absolutely nothing. Overmars just looked for a new striker, not using any profile whatsoever. Same goes with new goalie Tim Krul, who is a good shot-stopper, but completely different as a player than Cillessen was.

What?! How is that even possible? Why would any director offer Serero so much money, that he can’t possibly earn that elsewhere? I like Serero, he is a hard-working player and had his value for Ajax, but why pay him so much money? The South-African midfielder is ready to throw away a year of his career, just because he gets payed enough.

Has Dick Law officially left? I haven’t read any official news or statements by anyone.

Marc not joining us.

Dutch source: https://sportnieuws.nl/voetbal/buitenland/overmars-ga-helemaal-naar-arsenal/

Can’t say I’m disappointed. He hasn’t been highly praised based on what I’ve read about him.

https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/arsenal-hengelt-naar-overmars

Reliable Dutch source saying Overmars could actually come back to Arsenal.

Google Translate, for the few who don’t speak Dutch:

Marc Overmars may represent a return to Arsenal. The 45-year-old director of business affairs at Ajax is one of the candidates for the position of technical director at the London club.

Overmars, who acted as a player for Arsenal between 1997 and 2000, is on a shortlist of names that are eligible to succeed Sven Mislintat. The current technical director of the Gunners stands for a departure at the club and is linked to Bayern Munich.

Overmars, who has been acting as director of player affairs at Ajax since the summer of 2012, still has a commitment in Amsterdam until 2020. The 86-fold international, with a number of lucrative deals, has a large share in the strong financial situation of the club, but is waiting as a compiler of the first selection also for four years at a price.

With Overmars another Dutch policymaker would start working in the Premier League. Last summer Marcel Brands made the switch from PSV to Everton. Brands impresses at the club from Liverpool and has since joined the board.

I thought he was hated at Ajax?

Same, thought he was part of this “coup” that happened a few years ago that saw Bergkamp sacked?

It seems strange that recently we have been linked with several people to take over various jobs at the club and nearly all the candidates are ex Arsenal players.

As much as I like Overmars, Edu, Arteta, Pires, Ljundberg etc as players, I hope they are being picked because of their credentials as backroom staff.
I would prefer the best man for the job not the best man who used to wear an Arsenal shirt.

Unless, of course, it’s Denis Bergkamp :grin:

1 Like

Yeah but now all their players are worth £60m so he’s good again :giroud2:

5 Likes

The criticism has died down indeed. But they did hire a new Head Scout in early 2016. It might be fair to wonder still what Overmars exact worth has been over the past 3-4 years. Or he has appointed him. We don’t know.

It’s probably clickbait, but he has been linked with Arsenal again.

1 Like

Would love him here

1 Like

In that interview with Sanhelli, Sanhelli said they are looking for a talent identifier since his strengths doesn’t really lie there. I’m not sure Overmars really falls in that category, but is rather another dealmaker.

Well, Arsenal could always use more dealmakers.

What is the point of those if nobody can find players?

Don’t like this at all tbh. The alleged criteria for the Technical Director role was absolute bollocks not based on actual substance

He came out with some smart stuff before but i’m growing suspicious of Sanllehi with an appointment like this

Facking morons. Should have just kept Sven and given him this:

Then we’d have the best DoF, the best scouts, going after the best players and making the BEST deals. Smh arsenal, even I could tell you that

1 Like