Manchester United

Pretty good article on this, especially for anyone that believes it’s just harmless banter.

Kick It Out are right to say something.

1 Like

Was your mate a stunning white girl?

1 Like

Well I always find it hypocritical that stereotype of ‘big cocks’ and ‘can jump’ never being challenged. There would be a huge fuss otherwise if the stereotype was slightly negative.
So good on them.

And also black men that arnt very athletic and have small willys suffer due to those stereotypes

1 Like

I say we ban all comedy and all jokes of every type even “chicken road” jokes because that’s offensive to vegans because we’re laughing at the expense of a vulnerable chicken with no agency.

There’s always someone who can get offended by something so on that off chance I just think it’s best we never make fun of anything ever again, and in fact I think it would be for the best if we just execute all comedians on the off chance they might make a joke during the ban.

9 Likes

Apparently the Guardian article affirms that all positive stereotyping must be accompanied by some sort of latent negative stereotyping in the background “whether we realise it or not” (:roll_eyes:), therefore any terrace humour based on anything other than “that football player over there is really good/bad at football” is destined to be harried out of the game I expect.

1 Like

How many of you saying it’s just harmless banter are Caucasian?

I’m curious.

2 Likes

Master race checking in.

5 Likes

White guy who catches shit for being white and a guy checking in

3 Likes

I think people are saying it was meant as harmless banter (even a compliment). There’s a difference.

Ironically, few things in life are as black and white as accusations of ‘racism’ try to be.

2 Likes

Harmless intention or not it’s besides the point, however, I’m not at all surprised a good deal of you don’t see that since you’re collectively not black.

1 Like

Which possibly gives those not black people a direct insight into how the chant was meant rather than how it was (unintentionally) received. Dialogue and subsequent understanding is far more productive than simply labeling people as racist and banning words.

2 Likes

Sounds very much like “say anything as long as it’s intended this way or that” to me.

What if the offended people in question don’t accept this reasoning? They’re just killjoys or they just don’t get it?

Your post has a little rose-tinted glasses about it.

2 Likes

It’s their right to be offended and their problem in how they deal with it.

1 Like

Yeah, everything is “their” problem eh?

Look my uncle died of cancer and my granddad of died of Alzheimer’s. I don’t always laugh at jokes dealing with those subject matters but I don’t try to ban people from joking about it or telling people how offended I am or how inconsiderate they are or how much of a victim I am. I just deal with it because it’s my issue. Just like everyone else just needs to fucking deal with their own emotions and issues rather than constantly trying to police and censor everyone else.

Were you seriously trying to use the fact that I said “their” into a race thing and play it along the lines of me trying to say “those people” referring to blacks in a derogatory fashion? Because that’s pretty funny, since I used it as an all encompassing term meant for all the white people getting offended on behalf of black people haha

10 Likes

Y’all said black and that’s RACIST.

2 Likes

This is a poor argument IMO, no disrespect to your family that has passed but the two can’t be conflated at all.

Racism or prejudice isn’t solely the issue of those it may offend whatsoever. And no I wasn’t trying that at all.

It’s OK though, seeing a trend here, there’s little point continuing this discussion.

4 Likes

You catch shit for being a white guy because of your nonchalant attitude towards issues that people from ethnic backgrounds face. Even if we harked back to the racism topic that time, you had an incredibly “privileged white guy” view of racial profiling and whatnot. And even your attitude in this thread just reeks of white guy who’s never faced discrimination in his life and feels it’s acceptable to downplay how anything pertaining to racism makes other people feel.

4 Likes

I think background also has a lot to do with the conversation, like where you actually grew up in the world. Coming from California, where it’s truly a melting pot and all races live here generally together shoulder to shoulder, I see this kind of stuff as a non issue. Sure I’m white, but my 3 best friends, basically my brothers are all black guys. They make jokes like this all the time. To each his own I guess but they’d be laughing and rolling their eyes at this conversation. But I get it, if you come from a very segregated area I can imagine you’d feel a lot different.

5 Likes