Manchester City

This is so true. In our obsession with our own club and our expectations for Arsenal I think many fans forget that the team has to go out and play against other teams, who also have 11 people whose whole lives are focused almost entirely on succeeding on the football pitch.

I donā€™t think I ever said I love Klopp. They got hammered by Chelsea and Leicester. I donā€™t see what other clubs have to do with it. I also didnā€™t say clubs should roll over and do nothing. I said we need to figure out how to come over this style of play. Because we otherwise will drop (too much) points eventually.

1 Like

In both those matches Burnley was playing away from home.

[quote=ā€œSDGooner, post:198, topic:129ā€]
Eight out of ten teams lines-up like that against us. I wouldnā€™t give them any credit tbh. We know teams are going to play like that against us, we need to figure out how to beat that. Otherwise weā€™ll never evolve to the next level.[/quote]

Youā€™re not wrong there and this is probably a little naive on my part but I think Ramsey & Giroud would go along way in helping us break down these type of teams. I know, I know weā€™ve struggled to do so in the past with them in the side but in my defense we have gradually improved (evolved :smirk:) ona couple of personnel, most notably Mustafi for Mertesacker who isnā€™t going to be left exposed to any quick counter attacks, especially involving balls in behind. Mustafiā€™s also got it in him to carry the ball forward and attack the space if the opportunity arises, something Big Per couldnā€™t do even if he wanted to, the poor bastard.

Centre mids another position weā€™ve upgraded on that should help strengthen our capabilities to break down these kinda teams that try and park the bus. For example Xhaka has the ability to play those penetrating passes between the lines that the likes of Ɩzil and Alexis can exploit, which was something that was next to none existent at the back end of last season with out Santi in the side and something Coquelin as much as I appreciate for, doesnā€™t bring to the table. Heā€™s games more appropriate to the big matches, similiar to the way Fergie used to use Fletcher.

As for the O.G Oliver Giroud he brings that physical presence that weā€™re other wise lacking especially on set pieces which we get more than our fair share on, against these type of systems. Giroudā€™s also more suited than Sanchez is to play against defensive opposition up top too in the way that he gives us that plan B, the option the spray the ball, 30,40,50 yards up top an play off any 2nd balls / 50,50ā€™s in and around the box (didnā€™t Ramseyā€™s scrappy goal vs Burnley last season come from a similar situation). The big mans also got it in his locker to be able to pin defenders on the edge of the box and act as a wall to play a quick one two round the corner off or tee someone up which comes in more than handy just look at Wilshereā€™s goals vs Wba/Swansea for example or Rosickyā€™s vs Sunderland even Ramseyā€™s vs West Ham.

Speaking of Rambo he offers those penetrating runs from deep that drag players out of position and creates gaps to exploit in the middle of the park which we desperately need when we set up against two banks of four with Santi & Xhaka in midfield, given they both naturally like to drop deep and come to feet they give the opposing midfielders no reason to come out and press them, not only does Ramsey offer the penetrating runs but he also helps create overloads in the middle when he tucks in from the wing which in turns forces the likes of say George Boyd into a decision does he stay with Ramsey or leave his fullback in a one on one situation for Hector Bellerin to potentially exploit.

Yeah youā€™ve gotta point I think he has to, it proably has alot to do with why he get his wingers into so many 1 on 1 situations with the opposing fullback, then again I could be completely wrong. Iā€™m just spit balling out here.

3 Likes

3 in 3 for Gabriel Jesus with the NT.

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/dqeo.mp4?token=1477020067_745161106e5a6e678efb0d331e087577261aa44f

https://twitter.com/City_Chief/status/785207225421824009

AgĆ¼ero in injured shocker the guy gets injured if you just look at him! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Really ? Pretty sure heā€™s played 30+ league games in all but one of his seasons at Manchester City.

It is just some long lived myth that has been going forever even though his record is one click away. He is out for a month now and then, he is not a fitness god but surely nothing remarkable in football.

He is averaging ~45 apps / season over the 10 seasons in Atletico and City.

As you say, he has had one season in his 10 years of top football where he had less than 40 apps all comps, the 13/14 season where he only had 34 apps.

1 Like

He always recovers from injuries and his first game back after injury when heā€™s supposedly unfit, heā€™s usually good, so there are worse problems to have.

He gets managed well though. Heā€™s subbed off regularly.

1 Like

The start of his 6th season at Manchester City and he has 154 League appearances for 107 goals, heā€™s a special player.

1 Like

He is the best striker in the PL, and has been for several seasons.

Some say he is even better than Giroud.

3 Likes

Good god their defense is dreadful. And I hadnā€™t watched Bravo much before this season but heā€™s not all that in my eyes. He should have done better on all three Chelsea goals tbh.

They are big game bottlers for the most part, absolutely awful record against the top sides in the last 2 seasons.

This us what Iā€™m talking about. 90+ points?? Lol. I understand you like to look forward and project this kind of stuff, but thatā€™s just not my style. As you can see teams go through peaks and valleys. City looked unstoppable for a short time and now their back down to earth. Chelsea will go through a tough spot too, all teams do.

The amount City have spent on defence & the actual defensive display :joy:

1 Like

Whoever wins the league will end up with 85+ though, last year was a real rarity. I think only 2 seasons in the last 12-13 years have the Champions had below 85 points.

Lol yeah probably, or something like last year could happen again. The fact youā€™ve flip flopped several times now about which team is going to end up getting those 85 points says it all really.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

The point is its 90 % likely someone will and considering our ceiling seems to be 80 points or so, we simply bottled our only chance to win it last season in a very weak year.

Yeah City have amazing talent in attack but their defense is going to cost them a chance at title, especially with Company basically a non-entity. See them splashing in Jan to try to address.

1 Like