Lucas Pérez

Some Celta fan said he’s better than Benzema so now I can stop worrying about our CF position thats a relief.

9 Likes

@AbouCuellar

For me is wrong to compare Welbeck with Sanogo (Danny is a successful experiment, for me). About Sanogo, is the classic wonderkid (for other people, not for me because I judged him not good enough for a big/medium club before his sign for us) who hasn’t reached the expectations.

I remember the NT where he was the main striker: Areola, Zouma, Umtiti, Pogba and Lemina have and are confirming the expectations, not the same for Sanogo and Thauvin, not the same for Jean-Christophe Bahebeck (I was his fan). We’re talking about three players on 21, a poor record. Sanogo has been a bet not won like the many young players fired by Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Real, Atletico etc…

We need to support Perez to reach high level despite the age like Luca Toni, Jamie Vardy, Carlos Bacca, Nolito, Gameiro, Mandzukic and Jackson Martinez. He can that, he isn’t the son of the modernity, looks an old school player with a better mentality.

Its about the hypocrisy of the comment ‘you have to bet on someone before they break out’ soooooo ummmmm what could this be as regards Perez, its like because he is older he doesnt count or something. 17 goals in a poor team with barely any hope, but this is a ‘risk’ and not a very good signing people think but what happens if he is breaking out right now? Seems extremely myopic most peoples views. I reckon if we bought Auba people would have been saying the same sorta things ‘aaahhhh fuck another speed merchant with no real end product (which he didnt do well scoring goals until recently) and we have enough fucking shitty wingers’ its just tiresome hearing the same tiring arguments, damned if you do damned if you dont!

Sorry, I can’t recognize the guys in red and purple shirt.
Are they good??

1 Like

Auba was basically Walcott back then got better since Giroud outperformed in France, Sturridge was an unknown quality pre-Liverpool and Chelsea wouldn’t have sold to us (plus he wasn’t proven then) and Dybala we tried to get and he went to Juve. And no Auba didn’t move the summer Welbz did, he moved the summer before.

For the most part you have some Captain Hindsight glasses on right there

We bid for him last summer. City bid for him this summer. They weren’t selling.

Can you identify the posts that inspired this post? Same goes to the others on your side of this debate?

At the end of the day there has been a fairly consistently negative set of posters on this forum for several years (a , why on earth would you suddenly expect them to stop being negative with regards to the signing of a 27/8 year old who has only had one season as a striker?

Fair enough. It doesn’t seem credible to me but fair enough.

But do you think it’s fair enough? You could be clearer.

2 Likes

I don’t think Dybala was a bet tbh, was clear to see in his final season @ Palermo that he was special, though depending on what you read it seems he didn’t want to leave Italy and Zamparini (chairman) said we made an offer.

Anyway, we can’t be blocking the path of Akpom, Mavididi, Nketiah or Fortune now.

1 Like

Come now, they might not be directly saying it, but it is pretty obvious that people are not giving him a chance ,he is not the striker we need’ we should be going for better yadda yadda, good strikers have moved etc, so are people automatically saying this guy is no good, sounds like he isnt given a chance to prove himself to me…they havent even seen what he can do as yet he has no preseason to speak of no match fitness and is used to another team and sometimes it takes a season or so for a player to truly settle. people are already saying we should be aiming higher and the rest of it, what if he is one of the best strikers in the EPL in a couple of seasons. Not saying he will but at least give the guy a couple of seasons he might very well be EXACTLY what we have been crying out for.

Holy crap, how does this thread keep getting so many posts every few hours?! :arteta: I keep expecting some big annoucement from him or something,

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not sure this guy is the answer but my biggest gripe about him is why didn’t we sign him sooner in the window or even in January as we had apparently scouted him in depth.

If anything that’s contrary to the argument that people aren’t giving him a chance.

You ask 10 Arsenal fans who they would have wanted to start on Tuesday night I’d say the majority would say Perez, perhaps quite a few Giroud. Certainly none would have said Alexis.

The grievances surrounding the player are much more to do with the manager than Perez.

3 Likes

its the Lucas thread in name only lol. 454 posts and about 300 aren’t about him :joy:

Yeh, it’s hard to take the fact that City, United, and Chelsea have signed Martial, Jesus, Sané, and Batshuayi in the last two summers when we are far more in need for these types of players than those teams (aside from Utd when they signed Martial, but then Martial was a young French talent who really should’ve been our domain if Wenger didn’t have outdated views of what young players are worth). And then on top of it all we’ve lost our best young attacking talent…At least if we were surrounding a hard-working ST like Pérez or Welbeck with wingers with real end product and quality like Alexis, Sané, Gnabry, Iwobi you’d feel there was a plan.

There’s nothing saying he can’t, it’s way too early to tell, and no one can predict how the transition from Depor level club to top level club works for him. Harry Kane has nothing to do with this argument, he broke out at a very young age, he has followed a normal trajectory for a top class striker (if he gets to that level). The fact is the number of strikers that become world class at Pérez’s or even Giroud’s age when we signed him, is extremely low. There are exceptions/anomalies like Ian Wright…in modern day football I can’t think of one off the top of my head, unless you want to include Vardy, who, although there’s no denying the season he has put in, is a bit of a stretch to put in the upper echelon of strikers at this point, still not sure he would’ve been a total success here, though likely would’ve been a better signing than Lucas or as good if things go well for Lucas.

No one is not giving Lucas a chance. Chill out you madman, lol. Just trying to bring a bit of healthy scepticism to the discussion instead of uninhibited blind faith. My sensation (a major problem I have is from what I’ve seen the discussion of his pace/athleticism from people like his former manager, that famous Celta fan, has been a bit exaggerated, he’s reasonably athletic but not electric either, basically a slight trade off between technique and athleticism between him and Welbeck, which is why I would conservatively expect him to be about Welbeck level for us) is that he’s unlikely to be a big improvement on Giroud (that wouldn’t make him an un-useful signing btw, if Wenger gives him a chance and he adapts well, Giroud level while being a different type of player, kind of like Welbeck was last spring, has use to us), has been since I heard of the rumour, but I, and no one I have seen, is writing him off or calling him a bad signing.

Maxi I wasn’t comparing Welbeck with Sanogo, my point was that more investment needed to be made in young strikers, and that Welbeck and Sanogo wasn’t a strong enough bet on this front…Welbeck + Sanogo + say, Correa would’ve been a better bet to mitigate the risk involved with young players, and a good combination of players of different qualities/ages within a young-ish age group.

Later, I am not sure what your obsession with Gameiro, Mandzukic, and above all Jackson Martínez is. We need to be shooting for higher, and Mandzukic/Jackson are totally redundant with Giroud, especially Jackson who is just worse. Pérez can definitely be as good as Gameiro for us, I agree. But Gameiro is not world class, for sure.

Again, the whole point is that these players weren’t proven/hadn’t broken out at the time of their signing-- see this post: http://onlinearsenal.com/t/lucas-perez-9/584/437?u=aboucuellar just a couple posts above.

I had a doubt about my memory re: when Auba left, anyways, just even further reinforces my point, Auba made even more sense for us that summer after Giroud’s disappointing first season.

Don’t think we ever actually ended up bidding for him, as far as I can recall, and I mention the very same stance you mention in my post, except that I–fairly, I believe–question whether the stance would’ve been the same if we had come in with a really strong, convincing bid.

2 Likes

We haven’t fired him though, he’s still in our squad :joy:

No one will be happier than I if this guy turns out to be a great player !
No one would celebrate more than I if Wenger wins us the league and I will happily eat my words and be castigated by all and sundry for my lack of faith by those who knew better with a huge smile on my boat race.
Above all I want us to win ,always !

1 Like

We should have landed this fella huh @AbouCuellar

.@chazaustin10: MotM vs Sparta Prague, Rating 8.32, Goals 2, Shots(OT) 3(3), Fouled 2, Dribbles 1 @SouthamptonFC pic.twitter.com/KXhIAGHEm8

— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) September 15, 2016

The first time in a long while that I agree with Cuellar and Castiel adds to the discussion in a meaningful (not trolly) way.

Great thread that… Definitely not the Lucas Pérez (9) thread.

btw… why didn’t we buy the PL proven Balotelli… young, talented, good looking, definitely not a psycho… on a free… perfect

Me and AC are bff’s these days didn’t you know? Also ‘trolly’ is just another word for philosophical.