Lucas Perez (Transfer complete)

So Vardy is a winner because he won the title last season with Leicester but Giroud isn’t despite leading the unfancied Montepellier to the Ligue 1 title prior to signing for Arsenal?

What’s the actual difference? They both scored plenty of goals for teams that weren’t expected to win the title and did it. What’s to say that Vardy could actually handle the pressure of playing for a big club because that’s the only difference between Giroud and Vardy. One made a step up to a big club and the other turned down the chance.

So I reckon I know which one I’d consider a winner and it definitely isn’t the one who was too frightened to handle the challenge of actually competing for a place in a team and playing for a club where there is expectation.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t question Giroud’s mentality really, he’s climbed up from the lower leagues in France to top flight football in England, lead the underdogs to win the Ligue 1 title and is now a regular in the French national team.

However, his quality and suitability to being a #1 striker at a top club can most definitely be questioned.

3 Likes

According to that Depor fan, he sounds like an Aguero/Suarez morph with a Dragon Ball Z power level of 300,000,000.

9 Likes

This is how is we should be negating the lack of world class striker imo. Rotating on them both on the basis of form or opposition and seeing them as one striker.

I would like to know what Ozil and Sanchez think of this situation.

Will it convince them to sign new contracts?

I just hope we don’t get outbid by West Brom or Everton, and we can convince Perez we are more ambitious than those clubs.

Bit underwhelmed by this signing.

Worried it smacks a bit of Park Chu Yung, but better than not getting a striker at all.

Maybe he’s a late bloomer and he’ll be entering his peak for us. For that kind of money he might be a decent stop gap.

Haha I’m not going to start arguing why Leciester’s achievement was greater than Montepellier, mainly because I’ll come across as some epl elitist snob.

However your argument is incredibly bias. Moving from Montepellier to Arsenal compared to from Leicester to Arsenal is a totally different story.

Leicester can compete on wages and in the next 2 to 3 years probably have the ability to compete in terms of silverware as well. Maybe Vardy legitimately thought that he’d rather spend his last couple of years playing as a club legend in the Cl for a team that has the slightest chance of not bowing out at the first knockout stage.

I can’t believe I’m actually getting into an argument over whether Giroud is a natural winner or not. Wrighty, Henry, Viera, Adams, Rvp were all winners. The likes of Giroud, Theo, Ramsey are spoilt brats living the good life of the post-competitive Wenger era. Our mentality is if we win it’s nice but if we don’t no big deal.

No wonder this club has fallen to the level it has when we consider the likes of Giroud a winner.

2 Likes

He took 3 during his record goal-scoring run at the beginning of the season and 2 towards the end.

We have plenty of players who can take them.

All I’m saying is I don’t see much difference between scoring 16 npg in La Liga or 19 npg in the PL. As you’ve made the point earlier with Austin it will come down to how good the player is. Not that I’m overly excited, but at least it’s an actual football player we’re signing.

True. I was merely just going through the last couple of years and apart from Suarez and RVP there were no strikers during that time that consistently go up to ~25 goals a season without taking a shit ton of penalties to boost their numbers.

1 Like

Vardy got 19 non penalty goals while being fed by Mahrez while Perez got 16 off scraps

1 Like

Was Mahrez not on them initially because I remember him giving the ball to Vardy so he could continue his consecutive run at one point, I honestly can’t remember and don’t care enough to look it up. Yes we have plenty who can take them but scoring them seems to be a different matter since Arteta left. Anyway I agree with your point as I always though Rooney got fat off penalties with United but at the end of the day if we had a striker scoring 25 league goals non of us would be sitting deconstructing how they were earned and you know that’s the truth.

@arsenescoatmaker Ozil was feeding Grioud. Enough said.

1 Like

@Castiel which sort of shows how Perez will improve our play. I think Perez’s off the ball movement is made for Ozil’s through balls, where as Giroud is made for crosses, something few in our team are proficient at. Also i do think Wenger wants a front 3 who can interchange, it’s something we’ve been doing recently when Giroud didn’t start. Perez again is made for this.

What Pisses me off about these type of signings is that once we get Perez, then our chances (no matter how slim) of actually getting a wc striker in the near future goes out the window.

No way Wenger will buy anyone else, and there’s no way he will move anyone on. We needed a DM for years and years and he never bought one in, If Coquelin hadn’t turned up by chance we would only likely be seeing a purchase now that Arteta retired.

And before anyone says anything about Wengers last season, I don’t believe for one minute this will be his last year. He gets paid like £8m a year, why would he leave also non of the changes or additions to this team are of a man looking to leave. One thing you can bet on, Sanchez and Ozil ain’t going to want to hang about here next year.

2 Likes

How many 27 (28 next month) players who have had limited careers have made a jump to a top class club and done the business? And as a striker?

Very very very very few.

2 Likes

To be fair, this type of cheap signing, and a striker who is a bit older means there is still room to make a big striker signing.

While surely we are well past believing Wenger will nake that kind of signing, the means are there for it to happen.

As soon as Wenger tried to sign Vardy, it meant that was the sort of money he wanted to pay.
He had four seasons “trying” to get a striker, and all of a sudden he wants Vardy.
That’s the level of planning that he does.
But Vardy was attractive, because he was cheap.

Now he is after Perez, not world class, not experienced at the highest level, not used to playing with world class players, never played in the PL, and not particularly young.

But, most importantly, he is cheap.
That’s all you need to know.

1 Like

Apparantly he did want to 35 million euros for Lacazette…

Some young fans here…Ian Wrighty Wright ring a bell? Pires, Petit and Cazorla were all 27. Drogba was 26 when he moved to the PL

1 Like

Here we go again guys…

Yeah he bid £29M for Laca earlier in the summer, I just don’t buy the cheap thing @InvincibleDB10 keeps on emphasising

Which was unsurprisingly bellow their valuation so it’s cheap nonetheless.