Lucas Pérez

The thing is Perez hasn’t had the chance in big games so it’s not like he’s failed in them. Last year he scored against Barce, Ateltico, Valencia and Bilbao.

He’s stronger, better with both feet, maybe a better dribbler, a better playmaker but Perez is a much better finisher/shot, better off the ball, better decision making. It depends what you want out wide.

1 Like

Lucas is very fast once he gets going, i dont know where this not mobile thing is coming from…may not be as fast as bellerin or walcott but he aint no slouch.

1 Like

Only 76 pace on FIFA.

FIFA is never wrong.

1 Like

If no one is capable to note the difference between Iwobi (a winger capable to help the midfield to keep the possession and be a sort of advanced playmaker on the winger) and Lucas Perez (a pure mobile striker), I’m serious worried.

5 Likes

Iwobi and Perez seem like different types of wide players. Would not mind seeing the pair of them play either side of Alexis. Decent balance of creativity, skill and directness on paper.

1 Like

Indeed, and when you’re playing with fucking Coquelin and Ox in midfield you tell me what’s more necessary…

Right…the question isn’t Iwobi or Lucas, it’s Walcott/Welbeck or Lucas. With our current midfield sadly we really have no choice to play Iwobi whether he’s in form/tired/needs a little of a break to be refreshed or not.

Given that Walcott has had a decent season and has worked relatively well, it’s understandable Arsène has tended to prefer him, Lucas also hasn’t had much impact in the couple starts/appearances he’s had in league games (though very small sample, and one of them was when he had just arrived). But like I said, if I wanted to criticise Wenger for not finding enough minutes for Lucas, I’d criticise him for choosing Giroud over him.

Giroud has been used incredibly well by Wenger this season, what an odd thing to say AC

Are we really constrained to our formation though? Cause that’s been working so well for us as of late.

Maxi who in the forum hasnt differentiated between the two individuals?

They bith play in the same position onfield in our setup of course they will be discussed together.

Well, I mean we could talk about having a different midfield set-up and instruction, but with our current manager and personnel we might as well look at flights for a trip to El Dorado.

1 Like

Right but then you’re playing with Alexis and Ozil as players dropping too deep. The amount of times we have no one in the box during attacks is ridiculous. It’s a problem. In truth I wish Wenger didn’t go for the Alexis experiment and played Lucas as the striker.

1 Like

They play in the same position but they have different qualities for different styles.

If Arsenal want to play on attack, without any thought to not defend, should play with three or four strikers like Juventus in Italy (but they haven’t any opponent good enough to create problems).

If you want a balance, and your main striker is Alexis Sanchez, you need to play with a player with different attitudes, at least (Iwobi, or Oxlade, or Ramsey on the wing).

I don’t want potentials, I want immediate contribution and Perez offers more right now.
Talk about potentials, Wenger probably is in the coffin when Iwobi fulfill his potentials.

2 Likes

Yes but they play into two different roles :joy:

Who has a better chance to score more and win us games?
Does Iwobi’s role can’t be replaced and is it because of his “role” so he can lock down the starting spot?

I would go for Perez as a starter right now, but not for that reason. Iwobi creates plenty of danger and you don’t need to score goals to increase the team’s chances of winning.

1 Like

Having a philosophy is one thing, but overdoing it is another.
Sometimes you just need to put the best set of players on the field and let them play.
Iwobi did not do enough to warrant a starting spot, and ahead of Perez.

1 Like

They play the same role in our setup.

What you mean however is they have different strengths and weaknesses. Edit: ah i see you said that above ^^

I dont for a second believe in this ‘for balance you need one to be more strikery and one to be more midfieldery’. Thats essentially just a disjointed 4-4-2.

Perez is superior to Iwobi and as such should be afforded opportunities in place of him. The reason we say Iwobi and not another winger is because Iwobi is for all intents and purposes, a squad player.

2 Likes

Ironically, if we just put our best eleven players out irrespective of contribution to the team, Perez wouldnt be in the eleven.