Lucas Pérez

Wenger clearly hoping for a classic Elneny 30 yard screamer

We already took out Coquelin for Giroud.

So we were left with Ozil and Xhaka with capability to play CM.
If we need to chase, we need Ozil upfront with Sanchez.

So if we bring in Lucas, Xhaka has to handle the midfield with Sanchez, Lucas, Walcott, Ozil and Giroud in advanced position.

When we can’t handle City with two midfielders, it doesn’t make sense with just one. Will only open us for more goals.

Its pretty logical substitution but don’t let rationality come into picture.

I think the issue was that we were struggling to hold onto the ball in midfield and bringing on Elneny was actually the right thing to do at the time.

For me, Coquelin should have come off for Elneny, Giroud on for Iwobi and eventually Perez on for Ozil in some capacity.

Our end team should have looked something like this

Cech

Bellerin - Gabriel - Kosh - Monreal

Elneny - Xhaka

Walcott                Perez
                Sanchez
            Giroud
2 Likes

I’d do a 4-4-2 by the players you suggested, since Sanchez is not really a CAM.
Having Theo and Perez on 2 wings, to rely their speed and attack from 2 sides.

It’s not a first time line up it was just how we probably should have lined up in the second part of the game when we started to lose the game and couldn’t hold onto the ball.

Edit: I’m aware you may know the above but wasn’t too sure so apologies if that’s the case.

I knew you were talking about the 2nd half and substitutions made…

I probably would have that lineup myself in that situation…

Like I said my apologies as I wasn’t too sure.

But I think the formation I laid out is essentially a slightly modified 4-4-2 anyway!

it’s alright…
we are not the manager and just throwing up ideas here anyway :slight_smile:

We won’t see him before Preston away.

I was simply asking a question about something I didn’t understand. You could have been like @SRCJJ and explained it nicely but you felt the need to be a condescending prick. Good for you.

1 Like

You could at least thank me for the effort. So ungrateful.

It really didn’t make sense, it was like he was thinking because we were getting battered so badly in midfield he wanted to protect the 2-1 scoreline :joy:

1 Like

Only to idiots.

Yessir. Smileys are on point.

1 Like

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/816394373151662080/pu/vid/1440x720/XBys07MaWB5a-wPV.mp4

That finish :clap: unreal goal

2 Likes

he definitely does score some beauties i dunno why wenger doesnt use him more, but maybe it is because he doesnt track back as much as he should

1 Like

Iwobi is pants defensively is practically nailed in the starting XI.

True…dunno why he id doing it, maybe the same with Xhaka holding off using him too much until of course he breaks Sanchez again and then he will be heavily relied upon with a lot of pressure on him.

Should start ahead of Iwobi.

Great strike by him last night.