What are you watching?

‘After Life’

A Netflix dark tragi-comedy with Ricky Gervais about him dealing with the death of his wife and how the different people around him in his life come together to reshape his character

1 Like

Watched all of this over 2 nights, thought it was brilliant. Belly laughed quite a lot. The bit where they went to the woman who made stuff from her breast milk and used her own “yeast” to make bread made me cry :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I read a massive fucking spoiler for Line of Duty S5 on the headline of one of the stories Google suggested for me today :rage:. For anyone who is a fan watch out for stories ye see popping up about it.

1 Like

Speaking of comedy that makes one cry, did anyone watch This Time with Alan Partridge on Monday? The closing joke in which he’s interviewing the Geordie is hilarious

1 Like

+1 on After Life, thought it was brill.

Thought the ‘c’ word was a bit overused though.

1 Like

Jurassic Park

Been ages since I last seen it. Jeff Goldblum is a damn icon.

3 Likes

Watched the whole Maddie McCannn thing on Netflix today. Think she probably was abducted after watching it, which I basically never believed up to now.

Watched ep 1 a few hours ago… While I don’t think they know what happened to her, this has always seemed dodgy:

Yea it’s absolutely their actions and interviews that made me question them all along.

I love JP, one of the very first films I remember seeing in the cinema.

1 Like

I watched a whole load of YouTube compilation of stuff on the McCann case when I was off sick from work a while ago, because I’m weird like that. :eyes: The one with the Geordie man, must be about 5-6 hours long, goes into ridiculous amounts of detail.

So I won’t be watching this Netflix version too, but suffice to say, it’s pretty obvious what happened to her and what happened next. Just a question of how deep the conspiracy and cover up runs after that, how high up the involvement goes etc

What did you believe prior to thinking she was abducted?

Accidental death that they covered up. Not particularly credible when you stop to think about it which I’d say watching this doc is the first time I’d actually done that.

Can you [spoiler] what happened to her? Ya’ll have got me quite curious but I can’t be arsed to watch a documentary about it.

5 Likes

Didn’t watch it, but I’ve seen a lot about it on YT and for me the parents done it. They’re so shady it’s unreal. Very cold people too, have 0 emotion despite what happened

Don’t take me back to the McCann case! :weary: I lost too much sleep the first time.

In the smallest of nutshells, the weight of DNA evidence found in the apartment and in the McCann rental car, plus inconsistencies in the McCann group’s stories regarding the timing of the evening, plus professional statement analysis rubbishing their testimonies (particularly Kate McCann’s abduction story), plus witness statements relating to Gerry McCann sightings post-event, plus circumstantial evidence of sedation use by the parents in their children all point to a tragic accident subsequently covered up and assisted by friendly media coverage within the UK

The case goes further for some into an international paedophilia ring and the McCann’s personal and professional connections within the medical profession, but I’ll stop there. :no_mouth::grimacing:

1 Like

Watch the doc. Whatever you’ve watched is completely biased.

I could say the same to you though :wink: Documentaries are very persuasive to the casual viewer, whichever side they fall down upon. I’m sure if you subsequently watched what I’ve seen you might well have your own beliefs challenged

Did your doc involve the main Portuguese and Scotland yard detectives involved in investigating the case? I trust their conclusions ultimately. And I would say what I’ve watched is pretty balanced cos it wasn’t until 4/5 episodes in I started turning.

It’s sort of a meta-analysis of both investigations, although it pushes the line of the original Portuguese police investigation before the lead resigned and Scotland Yard got involved and took over.

All the timings and witness evidence / disproval stuff was all of interest, but the cadaverine in the car seems somewhat implausible if the parents had no involvement. Anyways, I can’t go Full McCann again :laughing: Very tragic whatever happened