Leonardo Jardim

So we hire Jardim and get him to bring Mbappe and Lemar with him.

Do your job or I fucking will Ivan.

How on earth will you plan on doing that? :smile:

I offer my full support either way.

Jokes aside he probably fits the bill the most on paper besides managers not named Simeone or Allegri. He has a clear idea about football, he has performed at every club he worked for. It has been said he hasn’t managed at top level (assuming people mean the Premier League or La Liga by that), but he has a decent amount of experience managing in Europe. For a young manager he has a lot of experience anyway, he has been active for 15 years now. I don’t know if he speaks it well, but I know he speaks French at least. Communications shouldn’t be the biggest problem.

He is a manager who plays a ‘modern’ style of football, but besides Sampaoli, I can’t think of any other ‘known’ manager who would implement attacking football successfully.

Is he a high profile enough manager to keep Ozil and Sanchez or attract the world best players here?

I’m not saying he isn’t, but I’m just interested to know what anyone else thinks about it.

I’d get hurt if Ozil leaves, because as a fan of the game, a player like Ozil = football. But on the other hand a part of me doesn’t care if they stay or not after Wenger. A new manager should be given the opportunity to overhaul and build the whole squad to his liking.

To answer your question I don’t think he is. But offering them a lot of money and a clear project of where Arsenal is headed could entice them to stay regardless if the manager is a big name or not.

I don’t think we are going to get a high profile manager anyway. I think Simeone is going to serve out his contract and an union of Simeone and Inter seems to be destined to me. Is Allegri high profile enough?

If Ozil leaves and we invest all the money we get for him on an equivalent player, as well as other top players, that’s fine.

I certainly agree that any new manager should be given sufficient funds to overhaul the team, although I’m not sure if the board will have the same attitude.

I would prefer Simeone, and I’m sure he would be tempted to come here if we approached him with a decent offer and Allegri wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

As a club, there can’t be many more attractive propositions than us, so we should be able to get the best, which is what we deserve after seasons of mediocrity.

With a year to go on his contract I don’t think we’d get an equivalent player with the money we get for Özil, let alone worrying about signing other top players.

There are 7 or 8 clubs out there better than us imo. If a manager could get offers from any of those clubs or Arsenal I don’t think they wouldn’t pick us.

Simeone has a history with Inter and Italy though and with the new Chinese owners they too have a lot of money too invest.

[quote=“SDGooner, post:48, topic:672, full:true”]

There are 7 or 8 clubs out there better than us imo. If a manager could get offers from any of those clubs or Arsenal I don’t think they wouldn’t pick us.

Simeone has a history with Inter and Italy though and with the new Chinese owners they too have a lot of money too invest.
[/quote]Those other clubs bigger than us have nearly all got managers that aren’t going anywhere.
Apart from Barcelona, who I don’t think would be interested in Simeone, all the other top clubs have managers they seem happy with.

We are also perceived as being a club that will let a manager do his job and give him some time, which a lot of other European clubs are not likely to do.

I would imagine for any potential manager, we are a very good option.

He is good at working with the youngsters (i think Monaco are one of the youngest teams in the world) and is very pragmatic. It’s probably the right time for him to make the big step.

1 Like

Only halftime in Dortmund, but so far another feather in the cap of Jardim. Monaco have been a bit lucky with the referee but they are set up very well and deserve to be ahead. Despite being very young and missing some key players, they are organized in defense and know what they’re doing when attacking on the break.

Twenty years from now grizzled Arsenal fans in the pub will still be talking about the time when the club could have signed Jardim and had him convince Mbappe to come along to North London but instead stuck with Wenger for two more years.

1 Like

This looks like an interesting one for sure… I still want Simeone - we need a jolt, even if just for 3-4 years to sort things out - then can find the next “long-term” manager.

Either way, the board needs to lose their pathetic fear of change and get on with it…

2 Likes

Jardim would be perfect with a bunch of youngsters who wouldn’t cost that much.