La Liga

Griezmann at three and Vardy, Mahrez and Rui Patricio ahead of Lewandowski is just comical, too. It’s a French paper, I guess. :wink:

1 Like

Suarez should have won the award this season.

2 Likes

Agreed. Not even in top 3!

He stood out as my choice aswell. It’s crazy how this guy is not fully appreciated as a player.

You do love a bit of fatalism don’t you :smile:

Balloon dor is more or less ‘best player in the team which won the most’
Or ‘best player in the team which won WC. if not that, Euros. if not that, CL’

Actual playing ability matters not.

All you have to do us look at the nominations to know it’s bent.

Not particularly surprising at all imo, 51 goals and 17 assists in 55 apps for club and country with the same goal average in both and won the CL and the EUROs. Even if you don’t want to count NT achievements too highly, dragging the Portugese NT to their first ever tournament win is remarkable.

Clearly Messi was second best, no need to motivate for me. Outside the two giants, Griezmann has had more impact than anyone else I think, but I agree it’s maybe not by much.

I mean I am as tired of Ronaldo’s smug face as you guys are but I can’t deny that he had a magnificent calendar year that no other footballer can rival. Suarez has been great but not better than those three for me. The other rankings that CunningLinguist mentioned sounded far more weird than top 3 lol

Do you really believe this though? He was dire in the tournament and injured in the final.

I wouldn’t say dire though. He had his moments, but by Ronaldo-standards he wasn’t spectacular, Griezmann was for example more impressive to me. But he still got a few goals, scored his penalty in that penalty shootout and when he had to go off in the finals he still captained them quite passionately from the side line. Not great, not dire but still probably did an extremely important job.

Since when did Griezmann become a top 3 player? What the hell? Not just that vote, but I also keep seeing it mentioned elsewhere a lot.

Top 30 seems more reasonable.

Also, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric with 1 vote each. :laughing: Nice to see that apparently, it looks like you can win a CL title without a midfield. Much like how you can be a key-player for the two best teams in the league in one year, and still not receive a single damn vote (Kanté).

Higuaín with 0 votes is an equally big joke.

Anyway, these awards really are bullshit. Better to have separate awards (or preferably no awards at all) for each position. Also bizarre to see how often different types of players are compared by looking at goals/assists…

The award has just turned into an event like being voted an " NBA all star "

Real Madrid reach The 2016 FIFA Club World Cup final. They will face Kashima Antlers.

The fact that he didn’t and that Iniesta has not won this award once (If we go by best winner rather than best player logic he deserved it more than Messi in 2010) makes this award a pisstake.

I actually think Sneijder should have won it in 2010 given he won the treble with Inter and made the WC final with Netherlands. He was incredible that year.

But I have no doubt that Sneijder, Iniesta and now Suarez should have won the award at some point over the last 8 years of Messi/CR7 dominance.

Thierry Henry should have also won the award, basically its rabble like the way its done.

Sporting Gijón-Villareal 1-3. The Yellow Submarine back to the winning way.

That’s dumb, Florentino surely can pay for his own prostitutes.

Atletico are ahead.