January Transfer window thread

He ain’t leaving in January, i really doubt it.

1 Like

I think Wenger missed the ideal time to sign him this summer anyway.

We need a decent signing to give the club a lift, especially if we are going for a top four place.
But if we lose Sanchez and get no one, which is more likely, then we won’t get a CL place.

Is the Alexis to City talk just media talk or is there something behind it? Given how Sané has established himself as a legit top player, and Sterling’s evolution, and the fact that he still has Agüero (who he tends not to prefer in bigger games, being a player of similar style to Alexis in some ways…) and Bernardo Silva on the bench, it seems to me Pep would have almost a bigger problem with Alexis than without him. Doesn’t strike me as something he’s likely to pay big money for…

The non-sale of Alexis in August still pains me, and that is coming from someone who isn’t even with the knee-jerk crowd calling for him to be sat. Truly amazing to turn down £60m for a player that had no chance of re-signing. Honestly wince just at the thought of it, especially given that Wenger did it basically for fan backlash, and that even with Alexis we’ve got to the point where no one is even bothering to backlash anymore (unless they’re getting paid for it like DT) because we can only laugh at the state of things.

2 Likes

I agree and at this point think the Alexis to City move is dead. I reckon he will stick with us until the summer now.

Sammy Lee said recently City still want Alexis and will try again in January. He’s also of the opinion that Aguero won’t be at City next season.

Who is Sammy Lee?

Journalist that is supposedly very accurate on City stuff.

Imo, I don’t think it’s on anymore. Can see Bayern giving him what he wants.

1 Like

I like him but isn’t at the top of my list. Insigne, Draxler, Lemar, Guedes, Richarlison, Pulisic, Forsberg, Bailey, Neres, Emiliano Rigoni etc… there are many talents ready to step in and bin the chilean cunt. Mahrez is an easy/very interesting option.

I think the fact that Mahrez was readily available at a reasonable price in today’s market - that’s why I consider him the perfect option.

1 Like

Don’t think Mahrez is that great a signing tbh

Not consistent enough.

Don’t think you’ll see him have a season up there with his PFA one in the future.

Salah would have been fucking class though.

Exactly.
The situation we are in was always going to happen.
He was the best player in the PL last season, playing for a club with little ambition.
Is Wenger so naive that he thought Sanchez would be playing like he did last season after making it perfectly clear he wanted to move elsewhere.

It’s all very well taking the moral high ground and Wenger shouldn’t bow down to player pressure, but look where it’s got us.
We have an unhappy player, possibly disrupting other players and we have thrown away a possible 80m which we could have invested in another very good player.

Just another illustration of Wenger’s complete shambolic approach to transfers and watching his best players leave.

Perfect in that he has no backbone so would fit right in?

At Arsenal we’ve been conditioned to care about the economics and always focus on the future. I still can’t believe we made such a decision that goes completely against both things.

And I could be on Trion’s side of the “Pep bought it” argument if he’d just bought an established peak forward from the PL. How fun would that have been?

2 Likes

He’ll fit right in then!

1 Like

I agree.
This is why I think Wenger is going to do a Ferguson and leave us with a team full of old players and little money to reinvest.
The difference between them is that Ferguson left Man U with a PL title, thanks to Wenger selling him one of Europe’s best strikers, which means Wenger has done more to win Man U a PL title than he has for us.
All Wenger is going to leave for us is a complete mess.

If true that would be a good signing, will definitely help out our pisspoor midfield.

2 Likes

Who does he replace in our starting xi?