January Transfer window thread

MADNESSSSS :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

No, I donā€™t complain about Johnny Evansā€™ ability. I complain about the fact weā€™re signing a 28 yr old CF who relies heavily on athleticism and a 33 yr old CB when we are going absolutely nowhere, just so Wenger can satisfy his delusions of doing something meaningful in the time he has left.

7 Likes

AC,
Just looking at the transfer window, Auba is the one of the best (if not the best) in the market, and the one that we can get to cover Sanchezā€™s departure.
Of course, letting players run down to their last year of contract and let them go in January are other storiesā€¦
Auba is the best option for us in this window, and we have to take the chance, overpriced and over the prime or not. We have to stop the bleeding immediately.
Yes, desperate move, panic buy maybeā€¦ but we donā€™t have much choice.

1 Like

I donā€™t think weā€™re in a desperate enough situation at CB to need to buy Evans now. Weā€™ve got enough to take us through the season to then address the position properly in the summer.

Hopefully Iā€™m wrong but I suspect weā€™re doing our summer business early and that would be very disappointing. Would put us in a situation where weā€™ve got a relatively short window to win before we again have to think about renewing/rebuilding the squad.

1 Like

PEA is 28 and Evans is 29 and both probably the best we can get in their respective positions.

Out of interest would people prefer a 28yo PEA, a 24yo Lukaku, a 25yo Morata or a 26yo Lacazette? For me it would be 1. Pea 2. Morata 3 Lukaku 4 Lacazette as thatā€™s how Iā€™d rate them as strikers right now and I donā€™t think Lukaku or Laca have another level, Morata might though

4 Likes

Iā€™d rather have age 24,25,26,27 & 28 Morata than 28,29,30,31 & 32 Aubameyang.

2 Likes

Not to mention the sell-on valueā€¦

@arsenescoatmaker given our circumstances Iā€™d rather have all three of those. If PEA is better than those three it is not significantly, and we will be lucky if we get two seasons out of him before heā€™s surpassed by two or all of those three. Finally, in PEA weā€™re talking about a Ā£60m investment + the four-five years of his wages (probably something like Ā£40-50m in total) for what exactly? If you bought 25yo Morata at least you know youā€™re getting his best years and youā€™ll probably sell him on for something like what you bought him for, or maybe more, given the way the market is.

I donā€™t care how old they are. Auba is very good and Evans is decent.

I just want my transfer druggg :heart_eyes:

1 Like

At least youā€™re honestā€¦ or really good at satireā€¦ Itā€™s always a toss up with you.

Raul Sanllehi must play an instrumental part in these dealings too, AW is getting pushed aside, slowly but surely.

2 Likes

Donā€™t fight it!

Go on! say it. Announce Auba!

1 Like

Despite the fact that on the whole the transfer business the club is currently engaged in is looking very good potentially great itā€™s worrying that it is short-termism in the extreme.

In a transfer market that is rapidly inflating by the time Wenger leaves and we have to rebuild how many players will we be able to acquire without one purchasing for vast sums of money and two not being pipped by the other big clubs?

The way itā€™s going now I donā€™t see us doing much in the summer if at all, feels like weā€™re trading short term gain for long term painā€¦

2 Likes

:neutral_face:

I meant not to join the dark side :wink:

Why? you are acting like we will only get 1 season out of these players. Auba could be good for another 5 and by then who knows who we could have on our roster maybe even some kids from the academy, You have Nketiah, Nelson etc and we have more than enough money (creating more and more every season also plus money in the bank) i hardily think we are trading off our future at all.

Its amazing really, we go for some damn good players for a change, and we are trading off our future apparently but if wenger bought in players which looks good but are raw and young people will be saying aaaawww fucks sake another fucking project who may or may not be good, you cant win.

1 Like

Optimistic in the extreme.

33 good god ohhhhh lawdy lawdy a footballer past 30 its a miracle :xhaka:

2 Likes

The thing your discounting though is the fact that Auba is probably the best athlete in world football right now. Is he really going to lose all that pace in 2 years time just because he hits 30? PEA is a goal a game striker right now, Lukaku/Morata are a goal every other game strikers, thereā€™s levels between them right now. So even if PEAā€™s level drops he maybe still on par with them when heā€™s older

4 Likes