Jack Wilshere

You haven’t watched any Bournemouth games stop lying lol

Wilshere is not about numbers.
In his best season for us i.e. 10/11; he had 1 goal & 3 assist in PL.

That was early in his career at a time when you can excuse not being all about numbers, but when you develop as a player it becomes more and more important to contribute in some ways as carrying non scoring/assisting players only works if you have others that can compensate for it.

Haha Watched the games they have played vs Tottenham, Everton & United ( Admittedly United was before Jack went on loan )

I agree with your point to a large extent, but there are also certain intangible qualities a player can add to a team which may not necessarily be counted. For example Cazorla doesn’t rack up too many goals or assists, but our attack often looks disjointed and rushed without him. Now I’m not saying Wilshere=Cazorla, they have quite different skill sets and Jack has a long way to go before he can emulate Santi’s quality, but he may also be that kind of player that offers far more in terms of intangibles.

He definitely still has the quality and talent to make it here, the question is going to be if he can make an evolution into a central role like Santi, and be his successor.

I used to see him on the right in that attacking midfielder role, but the way the dynamic is now, we’ve got Iwobi as that sort of additional creative player/instigator, Sánchez also takes up a lot of the space for creation as the false 9, so in a role like that Jack would have to be very, very good to merit selection, because if he’s not combining with those players consistently at an extremely high level, and have us just playing champagne tiki-taka, we’re probably going to be a bit unbalanced and need a more direct/powerful player in that position.

Also, from the little I’ve seen of him at Bournemouth he doesn’t look to quite have that same burst he had before, so who knows if like Götze he just isn’t really a fit for that position anymore because he’s not quick enough. Just speculating there.

Ultimately though him evolving into a top central midfielder like Santi may be as much of a fantasy as the one about Ramsey playing like he did in 12-13 except with added attacking nous. Maybe under a new manager it could happen, or maybe Jack just doesn’t have the brain/unfortunately had his footballing education in England and not Spain or Germany, and him playing that role in an intelligent way just isn’t possible.

I hope not because I’d love him to succeed at the club and unlike Ramsey there are no doubts about his quality or technique.

Jack Wilshere is playing well with Bournemouth because his dimension is a medium-small squad.

Sincerly, I can’t be happy if I think about the future of our squad with a player like Wilshere as a key figure.

Would be interesting to think about the future of our midfield. Santi is 31 and around the world I don’t see a type of midfielder like him, apart Iniesta and David Silva.

Is it really? Why? That’s an interesting opinion from someone who tends to have such a glass half-full view on most things Arsenal.

In my opinion, not considering the injuries, he never changed his football style. He was a box to box, is a box to box and will die as box to box.

I prefer a proper playmaker like Santi.

2 Likes

It make sense to build the midfield around Xhaka in a way. I think he has the potential to replicate the best of what Santi has offered over the last season or two in the future. It clear he’s still got alot of learning to do

Or we could find a technically gifted and intelligent young midfielder and try to develop them into Santi or look internally. I’m a big fan of Dan Crowley tbh he reminds me so much of Santi

Yes, the manager will build the future midfield around Xhaka, but his lack of mobility will need to be fixed with the presence of a type of midfielder like Cazorla.

1 Like

If Jack wants to make it here he needs to start adding numbers to his game. Freekicks don’t count.

Hard to see Dan Crowley not having all the same problems Jack does (well maybe not injuries), while being less talented.

He has the talent to be far more than he is, injuries haven’t helped at all but despite this I don’t think his football education or lack thereof has aided his development.

Under a Pep, Simeone or even a Pochettino for example he would become a better player and barring injuries no doubt would be able to be groomed as the heir to Santi.

The problem isn’t a player not capable to be professional and to change his qualities since his debut, but a man who helped many players to have different careers thanks to their different roles.

You are fantastic :wenger:

1 Like

“Different careers”

Yes which ones would those be in the last 10 years?

You’re giving Wenger too much credit, his ability to develop players is very questionable these days.

1 Like

Do you want to judge only the latest ten years?

Ok, I should start with the current players.

Do you remember what type of player was Laurent Koscielny? Now he is one of best CBs in Europe.
Do you remember what type of player was Nacho Monreal? Now he is one of best LBs in the league.
Do you remember what type of player was Santi Cazorla? He switched role under Wenger, from advanced playmaker on the wing to all-roud playmaker on midfield.
Do you remember what type of player was Alexis Sanchez? A fantastic left winger but now can play on attack as striker (different than his experience with Udinese when he was part of a duo with Antonio Di Natale).

I should continue to mention other players like Clichy, van Persie, Fabregas, Coquelin, Hleb, Song, Rosicky, Adebayor, Nasri.

3 Likes

The trick is identifying which players are who they are because of Wenger; and who would have been great anyway.

Nor sure that’s ever going to be a healthy discussion though :smile:

All players who received their football education elsewhere, what has he done with younger prospects? Sure he can build upon players who didn’t start from a young age here, however, what prompted this discussion is you saying Jack hadn’t changed since his debut, my point is that under a different manager be would be a better player.

1 Like

Yeah, and tbh, while Koscielny was a fantastic recognition of talent that he and his scouting team deserve loads of credit for for recognising and signing and putting faith in, on the development end it’s a bit of a reach to call it down to Wenger his improvement from since he got here. It’s been a slow, steady progression, one that seems likely to have happened under any manager that–as I say, giving full credit to Wenger for this part–was willing to deposit the faith in him that Wenger has.

Nacho Monreal, @Maxi_Gooner , I really have no idea how you can give Wenger credit for his development. He was signed already well into his prime and is the same player he was when we signed him, a very good LB, a good signing.

Same with Alexis, really, I don’t see any real tangible evolution in his game, it’s always been in his locker to play the role he is playing now–it’s not like we’ve seen some significant change in his movement off the ball, or discipline in that role, Wenger just finally, through necessity really, had some patience with the experiment and Alexis really is just doing his Alexis thing except through the centre…coming deep to get the ball whenever he can, moving around in the channels mostly, doing his 360s with the ball haha, etc.

I remember when Özil was signed, and then I still had a maximum belief in Wenger’s ability to absolutely maximise the talent of artists like Özil. Tbh there hasn’t been the same evolution/maximisation I would’ve hoped. Mainly because of the players he’s surrounded him with. For four years I’ve been calling for a dynamic, mobile striker who can combine with Özil at the same level. The season before we signed Alexis I was desperately calling for us to sign Griezmann and play him as our CF. We signed Alexis and I was very pleased thinking that the same plan would be there for Alexis. It’s taken four years…

2 Likes