Jack Wilshere

He sounds like he is not coming back. Good riddance. I am not that desperate to lose him permanently.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the rub, if he thought about things logically rather than making a last ditch decision to move to Bournemouth I reckon he would have notched up a fair few minutes in all competitions for us so far. Thatā€™s with hindsight in mind, as weā€™ve seen (bar the 3-match ban) Xhaka limited in appearances when I think we all thought heā€™d take the reins in midfield instantly although Wenger thinks otherwise. Le Coq, Ramsey and Elneny are all rotatable players too which makes for a midfield that Wenger can work with in different combinations throughout the season. Itā€™s not formulaic system by any means.

Santi was never going to play every week this season either and naturally Wilshere would occupy that position if Santi was absent. Even at a push, he could get minutes out wide as weā€™ve seen before. Heā€™s far from a limited player, a very Arsenal one at that, which has the tools to work across the midfield and advanced positions.

Or. Maybe he was told by Wenger that heā€™d have limited opportunities this season and that heā€™d have to take his chances, which, the possibility of picking up injuries coupled with the competent options he has to challenge against, maybe felt like they stacked against his favour.

Either way, I feel sorry for him and slightly disappointed at the same time.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a bit harsh. Heā€™s one of our own after all.

1 Like

I fear that mantle (and the song that goes with it) has passed onto the boy Iwobi now

1 Like

Iā€™m fed up with him. We need to move on, as we have a very good squad now.

As you can see with the team Wenger played last weekend and this he thinks Elneny can be that creative dep lying midfielder. Probably another mistake that will cost us in the title hunt.

A lot of gloom and doom in here about someone thatā€™s been here since he was nine years old. Not knocking as Iā€™ve been there too, however , heā€™s making progress. His first 90mins in over two years says something.

I agree that this is likely make or break for him now but thatā€™s predominantly in regard to his fitness and able to play for the majority of any season.

We know he has the quality, that X factor that many players simply canā€™t hope to produce, itā€™s why he gets in the England squad even at %60. How long ago was it that he was ripping it up for England and won six MOTMā€™s in seven games? Just over a year.

If he plays for Bournemouth for a sustained period I wonā€™t be quick to discard him as he has a place here, not necessarily as a starter heā€™d have to earn that but he would definitely be a player that brings someone to the table. And with Santi aging heā€™s a commodity if he can finally get over his injuries. Additionally under a different manager I think he could still go up a level in his game.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be happy to have him gone for a year, convince him to fight for another year then if it doesnā€™t work out after that then part ways.

Still, itā€™s naĆÆve to say injuries are his only problem, and games are all he needs. I like him as a player and itā€™s a huge coup for Bournemouth but he has tactical deficiencies that are required and I doubt Bournemouth is the place to learn all that in 8 months. Being a midfielder is so much more than spotting and executing a pass and taking the ball forward 10 yards. Sometimes heā€™s lazy which wonā€™t cut it in this team.

I habe a feeling his future will be as a ā€œluxuryā€ player for a club small enough to let him be a little lazy and be protected. Itā€™s just whether that place is as low as Bournemouth, or maybe as high as say, Everton.

Still, weā€™ll always have this

5 Likes

This should be enough for more patience.

Or the reason for none at all.

1 Like

Had his best game for Bournemouth on the weekend

3 Likes

Joy to watch.

I dont blame him for his injuries but his off the field immaturity has cost him some popularity but we shall see .
Getting a whole season under his belt will be good for him , then if heā€™s good enough I hope he comes back !

Heā€™s class on the ball but he needs to prove his fitness levels if heā€™s going to get a new contract as his current one is up in 2018. If he canā€™t get the pace/workrate/pressing back then forget about it Jack, itā€™s all on you now to prove yourself. If you can get that back youā€™d be Cazorlaā€™s long term successor. Jackā€™s 25 this year, itā€™s time to grow up or accept your waster.

Heā€™s been poor the two times Iā€™ve watched him in full matches this season (vs. Tottenham & Everton), Iā€™d say he hasnā€™t looked like a #10/has looked a bit lost. Got to remember that heā€™s missed so much football in the last 24 months though, if he remains fit then it would be better to judge his performances later on. This last game was a positive.

Should have bagged two assists at the weekend if it wasnā€™t for poor finishing.

His quality isnā€™t in question, hopefully he continues to rehab his body. Bournemouth have a done a wonderful job with him so far, played another 90 mins against Middlesborough.

2 Likes

Not a common opinion but I think heā€™s done reasonably well so far for Bournemouth. Iā€™ve only seen highlights of his games but I imagine many havenā€™t even done that. That miss a few weeks ago has let Sky make the easily influenced think heā€™s having some kind of shocker, but I didnā€™t see them show him hit the post moments earlier with a sublime piece of skill. I think heā€™s been unlucky on a few occasions and his build up play has been positive.

Crucially he has stayed fit until now, which makes Wilshereā€™s situation now more promising than it has been these last few years. The FPL mentality of goals and assists doesnā€™t change the fact that he is a key member of their teamā€™s performances so far this season. I know Eddie Howe probably feels obliged to be complimentary anyway, but he did remind everyone of this nevertheless and I believe it holds weight.

Poor result at Boro mind you, but itā€™s been a decent season for Bournemouth so far and Jack has been at the heart of it.

As long as he stays fit, he will grow into this league again with a style that doesnā€™t get him driving forward through too many blind alleys and getting crunched. We shouldnā€™t expect his numbers to be flying right away. Itā€™s small steps at a time for him and the crucial hope of a full Premier League season.

I still would have liked him to have taken the loan options in Italy but I understand why that is such a huge step for him as a person. Itā€™s hard to leave such an exciting league too.

2 Likes

He has stayed healthy so far and seems to be regaining some of his old sharpness and quickness. Those are real positives. If he can stay healthy (obviously a big if), then I think he can help us a lot next season as a player that can genuinely sub in for Ozil in the 10 role, can play the wide playmaker Iwobi role, and - especially - if he can improve his positioning a bit and be groomed for the Santi role in the long term.

What worries me is that his first instinct when he receives the ball is still to dribble, even if its just to beat his man to the side and gain a little space. He needs to learn to move the ball more quickly. And while a healthy Wilshere can skip away from defenders in most cases, every once in a while heā€™ll still get his ankles crunched if he dribbles so often.

2 Likes

The guy is quality and there is no doubt about that. All he needs is to get back to his best physical condition, understand his role and adapt his game to his new team (which he seems to be doing already) and form an understanding with a player or two. If he has the desire and sincerity to do better, nothing can stop him. Letā€™s just hope he stays injury free.

2 Likes

Delighted to see how many minutes heā€™s made so far, without injury interruptions. This is exactly why going to Bournemouth was necessary. Iā€™m convinced by his quality, even if he hasnā€™t shown it there yet. His fitness was always the concern, so to see him play 90 minutes is a real joy for me.

Keep it up Jack!

4 Likes