Jack Wilshere

[quote=“Sol, post:18, topic:90, full:true”]
He should be viewed as a bonus/luxury player in the squad.[/quote]

Honestly I think this the first summer where Wilshere is genuinely just that, a luxury player.

If he’s fit fantastic he can push for a first team spot, if not we can wait, after all he’s English, naturally talented and one of our own.

Sadly I think you are right and I dont think we can or should count on him !

More time he’s injured the more time he has to punch Tottenham fans in nightclubs so he’ll serve the cause in one way or another.

7 Likes

Basically we are in the classic Wenger scenario of “if I buy player x, then I kill Wilshere”.

Can’t keep hoping he will overcome his injuries. The reality is that we have a big hole in the squad when he’s not around and we don’t fill it adequately.

Why? The way I see it, he’s already a luxury player.

-------Xhaka---------Cazorla-------
----Coquelin-----Elneny/Ramsey
-----------------Ozil---------------------
-----------Iwobi/Cazorla--------------

For me he’s not a winger.

1 Like

The last time Wilshere played more than 25 league games was 2010-11 season. Shocking.

3 Likes

If Wilshere is unable to make reasonable amount of appearances this season, we really need to cut loose.

1 Like

The OCD in me wants him to leave purely so we can give #10 to Ozil.

Wilshere’s injuries wouldn’t even be a problem if Wenger didn’t consider him equally to the consistently fit and reliable players. Wilshere’s status as a homegrown talent makes him perfectly legible as a bonus member of the squad in addition to reliable players of similar or more ability.

The only problem is that Wenger does consider high risk and injured players the same as consistently fit and reliable players. He always has done as we have seen with Rosicky, Diaby and van Persie previously.

Signing a winger or wide playmaker, while letting go of Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain should have been a hallmark of this transfer window.

Ozil should just pull a Zlatan on him.

1 Like

Exactly.
Wilshere is the only player of that group of English players I would keep simply because he is a top quality player.
He is always going to have injury problems and we have had too many of these type of players in the squad that are good but constantly injured.

It has to stop.
We are again going into a season with injuries to several first team players, and we haven’t played a match yet.

In recent seasons we had Wilshere, Rosicky, Chamberlain and Walcott, who are all highly paid, and who are all injury prone.
This can’t carry on, It’s a shambles, and Wenger has to seriously look at this situation and decide which players aren’t going to remain fit, and get rid of a few of them.

So keep Wilshere, and buy a proper winger like Mahrez, and pay for it with the sales of Walcott and Chamberlain.

Shocking? It’s bloody ridiculous. Get him fit and unload him. Take advantage of this bloated market.

1 Like

Made of glass :wenger2::facepalm:

And so it begins.

Not that I’m surprised, or bothered (yet) but pure luxury to the team now. Just hope we don’t suffer with any other lay offs in the midfield now that we need to depend on him.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that he can’t stay healthy, but I think there should be a parting of ways. Obviously whatever our medical staff is doing isn’t helping, whatever our training staff is doing isn’t helping and whatever is going on with Jack’s body isn’t helping. Reminds me a lot of Owen Hargreaves in terms of his health.

Yep, all the gifts but the packaging is no good.

2 years ago I said we should’ve made the most of it and sell him while his value is still high. OK, it’s not like we need the money, but at this rate, we’re only going to get 10 games out of him a season with his injury record.

He really is going to become somewhat of a luxury player for us.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that we will never be able to sell this guy and we’ll probably extend him two more times before he fucks off.

Considering he’s club homegrown, even if he plays 10 games a season it’s probably still worth having him around. If this was 5 years ago I’d be up for getting rid of him, but right now his only negative is he’s costing us wages, something I don’t really give a shit about when we’ve got 200 million of cash not getting spent.

He’s 5th/6th choice in a midfield 2, probably 3rd or 4th choice #10, his best shot at games is at right wing, a position we could well strengthen in and if not we have plenty of players capable of playing there and it’s hardly his natural position, so I don’t know where people get this idea that he’s not already a luxury player? If we sold him, we wouldn’t make any signing to replace him.

I still harbour hope that he can maybe be the kind of player to give us 30 games a season for 2 out of 5 seasons, then somewhere between 5-15 for the other 3. That player would still make an impact on a few seasons.

4 Likes