Jack Wilshere

Would be quite the PR blunder to lose Wilshere this summer.

I think if we lose Sanchez and Wilshere alone in the same summer window then we’re going to be treading water at best

Remind me again why Wenger would put himself through this? 17/18 could be atrocious :laughing:

1 Like

Losing Wilshere is insane imo.

5 Likes

8 million lovely squids :mustafi:

Though if he’s half the economist he’s made out to be he’ll find himself a job that doesn’t pay in Sterling for the next few years.

2 Likes

Seen it said elsewhere and pretty sure I’m not the first person to say it here but If he had never played for Arsenal would we be looking at the Wilshere that has played for Bournemouth this season and thinking that’s the guy solve our midfield issues?

Also didn’t realise the xhaka is younger than him

3 Likes

Unless i have misunderstood; what really bothers me about this is assessment that we have seen countless times for club and country just how good he is.

Talent isnt the issue and never has been. His problem was always fitness / consistency and that was EXACTLY what his loan to Bournemouth was for.

Besides, he has been class at Bournemouth. Howe is really helping Jack’s career.

1 Like

We’ve also seen countless times how good arron Ramsey can be for club and country but still the second santi is out our midfield becomes non existent

I’m not 100% either way on either Ramsey or Wilshire and as you say we all know how good they can be, I’m just not really confidant they are the player we need to replace santi cazorla

Wilshere over Ramsey all day long. The thing with the ‘Santi role’ is that we shouldn’t be so hung up on the loveable, cuddable, snuggable Cazorla for the future. I hope we’ve realised that his time is peaking, sadly, with injuries potentially plaguing the rest of his career. Keeping Wilshere and adding a player of Cazorla’s level or an improvement on that is where I’d like us to yearn for at least.

He is our Cazorla replacement. Jack aint going anywhere.

If we sign another midfeilder I doubt jack would sign a new contract though, He commented That one of the reasons he asked to go on loan was due to us signing xkaha and he didn’t think he would be first choice, if we don’t guarantee him he can have santis place in the squad next season he isn’t signing IMO

Relying on santi last season was risky let alone this year, I really wouldn’t want to go into next season knowing jack wilshire staying fit Is crucial to us being successful

1 Like

Maybe.

It seemed to me though it was more about he wanted more game time to try keep/get back in the England set up and Wengers a nice dude so didn’t stand in his way. I’m not sure either side gave any thought to 12 months time…Especially given that we didn’t even bother to include a recall clause.

1 Like

I doubt Arsenal and Wenger will want to sell him, with us more then likely losing Alexis in the summer, maybe OX too I doubt it will go down well, if Wenger signs that contract, he adds on the misery with losing Wilshire. Especially losing him to a Man City or another big club would be a massive blow. So I have no doubt we have a contract ready and waiting for him when he comes back.

But i’m wondering is Jack wanting to sign a new contract at Arsenal, we’re all assuming cause he loves Arsenal he sign any contract we put in his way. I’m not too convinced he will this time, after been fit (well one niggle aside) and been a first teamer and probably their player of the year. Will he want to come back to a Club he’s not going to be playing week in week out, that Wenger rates one or two others over him, that he’s career has been stop/start at, also add in does he feel he win the big honours at Arsenal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he right now feels like he might need a new start somewhere else. We also have to throw in if Wenger does step aside, will our new manager see him in his future plans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted to move on.

The difference with him is there’s still a sense there’s somewhere to go with him. Ramsey, Ox etc. have had chance after chance in various positions. He’s also “one of our own” which still counts for something with me.

There’s no need for him to replace Cazorla but he’s good enough to be in this squad. People say Ramsey might be good with a new coach, well Wilshere has plenty of ability and his main flaws to me are tactical. I think you could teach him more about positioning and pressing than you could teach Coquelin about passing and shooting.

We can’t lose the entire squad this summer and there are others I’d lose ahead of him. His performances this season have earned him his chance to prove himself for us next season, IMO.

7 Likes

Personally I don’t think we’ll see Wilshere playing for Arsenal again. His latest comments have made me even more sure of that.

"What’s going on at Arsenal is not really my concern at the moment.

"I’m a Bournemouth player, Arsenal have let me come to Bournemouth for the year and I’ve got a manager here that I speak to and we get on.

"If I go back and he [Wenger] is there, then hopefully he will stick by me again and give me my chance.

“But I don’t really know where I’m going to be. I don’t know if I’ll be at Arsenal. I don’t know where I’ll be.”

When you’re on loan, shouldn’t you always assume you’re going to go back? Especially when you’ve been at a club for as long as Jack has. He should be saying, “When I go back…” not “if.” He doesn’t really sound enthusiastic about Arsenal anymore.

2 Likes

Have they, though? (not a rhetorical question)

Doesn’t seem to have really stood out and been left on the bench the last couple games…

1 Like

If he proves himself over a season fitness-wise there’s little reason to sell him IMO.

Playing under a new coach will be the best thing for him, should be given the opportunity to play here again fitness permitting.

There’s still plenty for him to give.

I thought maybe there was some sort of agreement between Southgate & Howe/Wilshere but from Howe’s press conference it doesn’t seem like that was the case.

Very surprising because I thought reputation alone would get him into the squad but maybe Southgate isn’t convinced by his performances either.

Convinced less than the likes of coke head Livermore? I can’t quite buy that.

Not being in the starting XI the last few games is more likely due to being managed fitness-wise than simply being dropped.

1 Like

I think he’s stood out. You can see he’s a cut above the rest with the ball. Bournemouthistas I know say he’s been their best player this season (though I guess that isn’t saying much for a team in the bottom 7 with a bunch of championship players still in the squad).

I hope being benched is just being managed. I think if you’re Howe you’d be scared of overplaying him at this point because without him they lose a lot of quality. He’s always subbed on when he’s benched and he’s often subbed off too and he’s played pretty consistently since he’s been there. He missed the first 3 games and got a rest in the 2 games we played against them, then it’s 22 league appearances and he’s done the full 90 13 times in those games, sounds about right for what we wanted from this loan?

If he plays another 90 minutes then he’ll have more PL minutes this season than he’s had in any since 2010/11 so maybe he’s finally proving his fitness :slight_smile:

I think our squad will be richer with him in it. Even if he does have flaws he has qualities too.

5 Likes

Would welcome Jack back.

Long term Cazorla replacement hopefully if he can stay injury free