Granit Xhaka

It will be a 3 game ban for Granit correct ? Next domestic game available the NLD ?

I don’t know, but I don’t think he’d start the nld over Coq anyway. Things can happen in three weeks ofc, I guess we’ll see.

Has been a stupid tackle, for me the red card has been a right decision by the Ref. He could have stopped Barrow with a shove, not with a kick on his calf. Apart this, he has played a bad game. He was totally out of game, not focused and a little bit tired.

Never a red.

If these types of decisions are consistent from now on, then i’m fine with that, but they won’t be.

4 Likes

I still don’t think it was a red but it was one of them ones where I’m not surprised he got sent off. For me the way he made Barrow clip his own heel made it look a whole lot worse than it was, especially cause Barrow’s rapid.

Nevertheless fair play to Xhaka though at least he was in position to stop the counter attack (4 on 2) took one for the team nicely, barring his mistake that lead to Sigurdsson’s goal I thought he had a good game too.

2 Likes

There game ban is only for violent conduct. I don’t think this counts as that tbh but it will depend on what the ref puts in his report…

Did he go studs up? I don’t think so and if he didn’t then no red card.

Chelsea, Liverpool and United get away with similar for yellows.

Poor stuff by John Moss.

Hmm, I remember reading about the new rules that were introduced this season but I don’t remember this one. Like the cards for offensive language and contesting decisions, this will be enforced so rarely that whenever it is, it’ll cause confusion and debate.

1 Like

Tbh, when you watch it live the deliberateness of the foul was just so blatant that I was kinda fearing it would be a red from the moment it happened. Can’t remember a foul so deliberate done with the legs, he was literally just trying to get enough of him to trip him up. Also, he tries to hold him up with his arms but misses, so that’s why he goes in with his legs. Dunno, think he just had to let him beat him/run with him the best he could once he missed with his arms.

The real question is wtf is Coquelin doing there, talk about poor positioning.

1 Like

Its a good rule… as Cuellar said, it was as deliberate and cynical as they come, without even the remotest hope of looking anything other than what it was. When grabbing a nearby player, that is one thing, when they are literally sprinting by you and you only chance is to karate kick the back of their leg to trip them up, it should be red.

It’s debatable. I reckon if he slid normally making contact with Barrow’s foot solely and just tripped him up, it would have been a yellow.
Because Xhaka’s foot was high making contact with his shin area, there’s an argument for red.

Such tackles should be red, so if there is a rule which makes it a red; I am delighted.

4 Likes

Even if that rule exists we’ll unfortunately only see it enforced this one time.

I don’t really agree with this fouls being more deliberate than others. I dont think a deliberate foul has degrees, it’s either deliberate or it isn’t by the rules of the game. If that’s now a red card offence, fine but I think we all know we’ll see worse deliberate tackles than that go unpunished next weekend, never mind the rest of the season.

3 Likes

No doubt when it happens to us it will be a caution or at worst a yellow.

3 Likes

If he had let him go and they ended up scoring an equaliser everyone would be screaming he should have taken him out taking one for the team and stoping the counter attack before it began

For all we know if he hadn’t fouled him their the game could have ended 3-3

1 Like

No doubt. In reality the situation is a bad one, thanks to Coquelin’s poor decision making, leaving him on an island, and Xhaka getting turned by Barrow perhaps too easily, and he’s faced with two bad decisions. I think the best of the bad decisions would’ve been to run with him and at least try to provide some pressure, but yeah, bad situation.

It was a bad play from seconds before the incident, so no way should we give him pass and say “what if they had scored?”

It was a really bad read compounded by the red (maybe Le Coq was complicit, but a great player reads that earlier and plays it smart, getting in proper position and with proper movement to not let it get to the point that it did). Given that he was involved in 2 crucial (BAD) incidents, it was a game to forget for Xhaka. Just one game though - hopefully he can come back soon more settled in the team, but for now back to you, Le Coq.

Pulling someone’s shirt from behind is deliberate and sometimes too blatant as well but is always punished with a yellow. Why should a tackle be any different? It wasn’t malicious or dangerous, I don’t see why he was red-carded.

2 Likes

The difference, for me, is that to pull someone’s shirt you have to be near him. Granit wasn’t able to get him with his arms and so resorted to a flying kung fu trip.

The play itself took seconds from the Monreal’s cross to the foul, and yes fact that Swansea would have a great chance to score. In fact I would expect any player to foul the attacker there if they felt they couldn’t recover.

No, is not a maybe, Coquelin idiotic charge for a loss cause is a big reason why the play is so dangerous.

It took about 6 seconds between Monreal terrible cross(who shouldn’t have been in that position since he was the only wide player on the left wing by then) and the foul, so that whole thing you’re describing… it’s just fantasy and it doesn’t happens in the real world.

Not even that, I mean seeing the video Xhaka could have tried to grab his shirt after the first attempt but he just said fuck it and when to the ground.

I would expect any player going to ground like that to get carded, if one add the context of the foul (that cutting a play like that it another yellow card offense) then the red card isn’t a big surprise. The play was at minimum an “orange” card.

1 Like