(Spoilers) House of the Dragon/Game of Thrones

Big sticks with pointy ends? A tad dull for a show as mould breaking as this, don’t you think?

The show is full of mythological clichés. So the ballista is pretty much on par :slight_smile:

Kill a character, bring him back and than kill him again? Seems a bit much even for Game of Thrones. Or do you not mean death by undoing?

1 Like

More so the position he holds as king in the north.
He would be dead if not for the vale; he owes a life debt to them. Laying hands on the man in charge of all that (no matter how much I enjoyed it) was wreckless.

If little finger gains a few allies he suddenly becomes a major player and risks undoing everything Jon has, and more.

1 Like

Yeah I wonder how many hours they sat around the table coming up with that. And you know now we’ve seen it it will definitely be used and it will definitely work. It didn’t even look as powerful as the arrow that giant shot against the wall in season 4 or 5.

Maybe if they had 1000 of them stationed everywhere in the city and had 3 man crews on each that had a year’s training it might be plausible, but you know there will be like 20 of them and it’ll be in 2 weeks time.

Then again it only took Euron about 2 weeks to build the greatest fleet there ever was from scratch and sail it around the world so miracles can happen.

It would be a remarkable twist that would give me renewed faith in the intentions of this show but it’s never going to happen. It would be poetic, making the same shitty mistakes his ‘father’ made and suffering the same fate to the same guy but this is a ComicCon TV show so it’ll probably be the other way around. Although it did show a complete lack of restraint and diplomacy that 30 seconds into a conversation with the guy who saved his life he’s choking him so if it was the beginning of his downfall it was very good :slight_smile:

In fact I would say if this was still a TV show based on a book, that’s most likely what that scene would be foreshadowing but I really don’t think they’ll think that far ahead. The only storyline that the writers came up with themselves for Littlefinger is he sells Sansa to the Boltons, for reasons that are still not clear to me so I don’t have much hope in them coming up with something really good for him from here. He can’t “win” the game because fans would be like “omg what a shit ending” but I’m hoping he at least has a show me some fucking respect or I’ll turn my army around moment because it seems to me like he has zero reason for being on Team KINGINTHENORTH right now. Sit around, listening to this miserable guy with no army and no claim to anything and who has no intention of doing anything that might help you. He should really be able to name his price but he’s getting treated like a bitch.

And that “don’t touch my fackin’ sister” bollocks was really annoying in a world where absolutely nobody is married for anything other than business.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Sansa has implied she doesn’t trust Littlefinger either. I don’t think he’s going to alienated her further by messing with Jon.

1 Like

Didn’t he say he loves Sansa like he loved her mother? Getting her to marry him is the reason he is team KINGINTHENORTH i reckon.

1 Like

@Craigie gonna smoke a joint and mull over your post before I consider responding. thumbs up to you sir.

Well I’m sticking with the show just to get a feel for how the books might end, if the books ever materialise. But for certain characters, especially Littlefinger, I don’t expect there to be any new significant twists from him, no master plan, he’ll momentarily get the upper hand while Jon is away, and then Jon will undo him and that will be that. The writers have just fucked up too many characters. Euron is just a pointless Ramsay mark 2 to allow Cersei to appear badass for a while, and Dorne is pointless - now leaderless, and why does Jorah get Grayscale only to get fixed like 4 episodes later - utter pointlessness. I’m also a bit disappointed that the show seems to have organised the characters into a good guy, bad guy axis, with no hint of complexity, where you might find yourself rooting for people from both sides.

Still, I thought the first 2 episodes were generally good, and Sandor is a genuine saving grace.

2 Likes

Ehh, Jaime remains a Lannister and given that they have pledged war on everyone again, he’s going to help Cersie paper over a few cracks before realising how far bent she’s gone. Fulfilling the valonqar prophecy. A poetic twist. The politics of the realm seem to be a big distraction from the impending doom that is the Winter.

The Hound is such a good character, his story line is really authentic and purifying in a way.

Valonqar prophecy has been signposted far too much to happen in such a straightforward way. Arya assumes a Jaime mask and kills her, prophecy is somewhat fulfilled whilst providing enough drama to entertain viewers. Though to be fair that’s a pretty obvious way for the plot to unfold too.

Yeah but it’s been heading this way for a while so I can’t really complain, the only thing that irks me about it is that it’s turned more into bad guy vs dull guy dynamic.

The only character right now that I’m anywhere near rooting for is probably Sam and maybe Theon to finally stand up to someone. I wanted Robb Stark to win, I wanted Stannis to win, I wanted the nights watch to win vs the wildlings but for Jon to beat the night king or Daenerys to beat Cersei, I really couldn’t give a shit at the moment and these are meant to be the most important battles.

Jon has become even more dull and Sansa’s purpose appears to be as the one who disagrees with him. Bran and Meera are depressed. Daenerys has become really unlikeable and uninteresting and her allies so far seem pointless. I’m not sure what we’re meant to think about Arya anymore either. Davos and Tyrion and even little girl Mormont have lost a bit of their spark too.

Yeah they’re over playing Lyanna Mormont just a touch, the novelty of her being this overly wise and outspoken little girl is wearing off a bit.

I’m excited to see more of Bran though now he seems to be close to fully powered, and because he’s now south of the wall and is basically some sort of tracking device for the walkers

1 Like

I don’t mind Jon being dull, he’s been that way throughout the books as well. I’m just peeved his death and resurrection changed him not one jolt. If ever an experience would darken you, or change you, surely that would do it LOL.

I was enjoying Sansa, but she’s not turning into the ruthless badass I thought she would. And I’ve always hated Daenarys and hope to Christ she loses.

The only show characters I like now are Clegane and strangely Cersei. I’m now officially cheering on the Night’s King LOL.
(The show is going to marry Jon and Daenerys aren’t they and they will win, but she will lose her dragons, boo hoo).

Saw a poll on lad bible or uni lad or one of those equally shit fb pages I used to like about 7 years ago and people had overwhelmingly voted for game of thrones as being better than lord of the rings. It made me feel sick.

The books, if finished and finished well, potentially could be.

Also, in all honesty, TV Game of Thrones, at least the first 2 seasons, is probably as good as the Lord of the Rings film trilogy, I fell asleep watching it LOL. It’s easily better than the Hobbit film.

I fucking hate lord of the rings and Harry Potter, game of thrones is so much better than both

Wow, just wow. Mentioning Lotr and Harry Potter in the same sentence you evil man you. One is a masterpiece in its own and the other is a commercial Disney sweet la la book/movie for kids.

1 Like

Tell that to fans of which ever one your calling a kids movie lol

I think that GOT/ASOIAF has the edge on LOTR in a number of respects, both cinematically and in literary terms but most importantly, and this applies especially to the books in terms of pacing.

Both are prone to long exposition and droning chapters, and to spinning their wheels a bit. The Fellowship of The Ring particularly is extraordinarily tedious. Tolkein’s need to describe almost every blade of grass is a real impediment to good storytelling at times. Similarly, Martin switches gears at an almost jarring rate. As I recall the Red Wedding, which occurs in the space of a couple of pages, is immediately followed by a chapter about Davos learning to read. However, Martin does have a real talent for compelling authorship. The second half of Storm of Swords has to be among the most astonishing few hundred pages I’ve ever read. (It did help that I read them shortly before season 4 of GoT aired) The pace was absolutely frenetic in places yet also brilliantly judged. LOTR spends far longer being far more tedious.

And I think on both the screen and the page GoT has a much better connection with human nature. I get that Tolkien examines a number of humanity’s darker impulses through his villains, but the night and day presentation of good and evil just doesn’t make for as unpredictable or gripping storytelling as GoT. I know GoT has its White Walkers and out and out bastards (literally, in Joffrey and Ramsey’s cases) but some of its greatest appeal lies in the characters which lie in the middle. Tyrion or Jaimie Lannister, or Ser Jorah, or the Hound or Bronn are the characters which really make the story tick because you engage with characters who aren’t perfect, stalwart and true and the world they create necessarily can’t be either.

I think there can be a hesitancy to compare works of our own time with classics, but I think in this case it is appropriate and there is definitely an argument for the newer work. I think Game of Thrones will be remembered, and it’s difficult to tell exactly how easily shows and books will remain renowned now because of the vast nature of content we produce, but I would be willing to bet that in 50 years new stories will be compared with it as a benchmark.

7 Likes