Francis Coquelin

He’s supposed to be back in the group :wink:.

No such luck.

Fascinating how divided opinions are on him tbh

2 Likes
3 Likes

Great video. Great player.

Coquelin’s aggression and dynamism is what we have lacked in previous seasons.
He might not be a Vieira or Makele but he is still a good footballer with a winning mentality.
A few more players with his attitude and we might start to see a challenge for the PL title.
Every successful club needs players like this.

3 Likes

Barca, Bayern and Juve probably aren’t “successful clubs”.

inb4 someone mentions Casemiro.

But they do have players with his aggression and winning mentality.
As I said, he is no Vieira or Makele, but he has got a better attitude than some of our more lightweight players, and probably spends less time worrying about his hair and looks.

Way I see it is ideally every squad should have a player like him in somewhere to plug a gap at least in the event of injuries, however, if you’re the best of the best you would have a hybrid of a DM and DLP as to avoid having a limited player in a pivot.

If you play a three like Real it’s not a worry hence why Casemiro can get in but if you’re playing a two it’s far from ideal because when that midfield gets pressured it can be a bloodbath. I’d like to see us playing 4-3-3 particularly in tough away games but a las Wenger gonna Wenger.

Coq does very well with what he’d got (heh) and he’s one of the last players that should be people should be talking about getting rid of…

I don’t see any offensive attribution in this video. For me a key pass, a cross, a one-two, a long ball are offensive attribution, not tackles and simple pass.

Coquelin tried to be more offensive in this season and failed. He should stop his (poor) creative qualities because is and should remain a ball recovery midfielder.

3 Likes

Agression.
Dynamism.
Winning attitude.

Which of those three don’t players of Bayern, Barca or Juventus have? :smile:

Kidding, i know what you meant. Sadly we don’t have a plethora of world class attacking talents, or a monopoly of resources in contrast to our rivals.

Makes things a little different. Without a player like Coquelin we used to get carved open regularly, perhaps my memory is hazy or selective. However he adds a necessary element that the others don’t necessarily need, and to me has proven his importance.

Individuals like Kante, Matic etc only go to underline that for me. As mentioned elsewhere, even the invincibles needed Gilberto Silva.

Juventus f.e. does play a very limited player though (Khedira LOL).

1 Like

With inconsistent players like ramsey and ox, is so unfair that le ingcoq is gett so much hate and abuse.

We have a lot of player that needs to prove their worth, le coq is not even close to be in that discussion IMO.

1 Like

Maybe he plays so far up the pitch in support of Arsenals pressing game? Think back to Ozil’s goal in december. Coquelin intercepted the ball on West Ham’s half which led to the counter.

Even if we had to buy another midfielder like him, we should keep him, as we have always complained about our lack of depth.

I have no problem with having a player like Coq in the team. He’s genuinely a useful weapon. What I hate his that he seems - Santi aside - to be the first name on our midfield team sheet.

I guess that fault falls to Wenger more than Coquelin though.

Ok, but isn’t an offensive contribution, it’s only his job.

Arsène recalled Coquelin (and confirmed him) to protect the defense and to “close the games”, but, since the start of the season, he has changed his style and had let down the level of the concentration. If he will not return to be a BRM, for me he can go out.

2 Likes

In what ways do you feel he’s not fulfilling his BRM role in recent stints?