Florian Lejeune

According to Marca we have matched the €10 million release clause in his contract.

Florian Lejeune (born 20 May 1991) is a French footballer who plays for Eibar as a defender. He is equally adept at playing as either a defender or a midfielder, but plays mostly as a centre back.

Lejeune (25) joined Villarreal ahead of the 2011–12 season after spending one season with Agde in the Championnat de France amateur and two seasons with Istres in Ligue 2.

On 28 August 2015 Lejeune was transferred to Manchester City, being immediately loaned back to Girona for one year.

I have never heard of him, lol.

1 Like

Yes. We’re back on track!

2 Likes

Even though I want us to sign some top quality talent, I think Wenger could be on to a gem with this one. I remember him being quite highly regarded a few years ago before City snapped him up.

From Wikipedia (where else?)

On 4 January 2011, French newspaper L’Equipe announced that Spanish club Real Madrid was monitoring Lejeune’s progress. He was, subsequently, linked to a host of other clubs, notably English clubs Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal and Italian clubs Napoli and Udinese, with all the clubs reportedly likening him to former French international Laurent Blanc

His career seems to have stagnated since then though, he hasn’t really pushed through at a big club, only really played for Villarreal’s B team and not at all for Man City. Eibar are having a good season this year by their standards though. Nothing to lose I guess.

We haven’t matched his release clause, according to MARCA we’re “considering it.” Considering it’s MARCA that makes it rather a non-story, we’re probably watching the player and doing our due diligence on him but unless Holding goes out on loan next season, Chambers is sold or continues out on loan, Gabriel is sold (please god!), an Lejeune is willing to take a backup role (as we don’t rotate CBs), I can’t see this happening.

We’re quite packed in the centre of defence so I doubt the reliability of this rumour. I’m guessing there’s a good chance both Chambers & Holding are out on loan next season but that still leaves us with 4 CB’s and even though Mertesacker is still to return from injury, we just renewed his contract.

Accordinf to transfermarkt, he was a Manchester City player two years ago. :neutral_face:

Yeah I remember they signed him and got rid of him within a season.

Would rather giveit t’Holding.

1 Like

His French and called Florian Lejeune.

Sounds a bit like, French Foreign Legion.

I presume he is a real player?

Gabriel 2.0