Bernd Leno

I’m going to be disappointed if he isn’t (very) good. I/We’ve been waiting for a proper goalkeeper signing since the Almunia days. Now eight (!) years ago.

1 Like

What have Arsenal Football Club got against giving the starting goalkeeper the #1?!

They have given the starting keeper the no1…

:cech:

1 Like

Such a weird number for a keeper. Again.

Numbers don’t have to make sense anymore, they just have to mean something… keep up

The fact it’s a number not previously worn by Cech or Ospina is good omen already.

Sounds like some cunt just made that up tbh.

I mean those things are probably true but I doubt they are of any significance to Leno.

8 Likes

Are we forgeting Cech?

Always a short term option at 33 years old when we signed him. He needed replacing sooner rather than later.

Doesn’t disqualify him as a proper signing.
If we signed Buffon as a short term signing, it would still have been considered a proper signing, despite being older.

1 Like

Tbf it was. I wanted as much as most. Hes declined quickly though and not had the influence on the defence that id hoped.

Cech was a shit signing then and he’s proven to be a shit signing three years later.

1 Like

Hindsight.
Very very few can claim they said Cech was a shit signing at the time of signing.

Yeah I think it was fine stopgap, but perhaps now past it… maybe in retrospect we could have gone a different direction, but I agree this was lauded or neutral mostly.

GK is a tough position in general b/c you really can only have one star due to playing time… It would be nice to get a young stud like Donna or even Lafont, but Leno is young enough and while he doesn’t thrill me as a signing, we’ll have to see how it plays out. If he comes good, it is very good signing that covers us for 6+ years.

1 Like

Unfortunately you happen to be replying to one of those very few who did.

1 Like

I am aware of that.

Well it makes your initial claim of hindsight to be very odd, if you knew that the person you were replying to said it at the time.

1 Like

Calling Cech a shit signing at that time is more of a hipster move than a claim for me.
Like A4TT stating Lucas as a poor midfielder.

By all means, Cech could have been considered a mediocre signing but to claim he would be shit signing(given his stature, history & ability) would require an incredible foresight(in which case well done SCRJJ) or just a tendency to go against the masses.

And Even with Hinsight, I don’t think Cech is a shit signing, despite not wanting him in first place myself.

Edit - By the way, despite knowing his stance, I didn’t take his post as his personal opinion; rather I took his post as a general statement about Cech being a shit signing at the time.

1 Like

I thought Cech would be good for a couple of years – especially when that upstanding member of society, John Terry, raved about him being worth 15 points a season. Honest John fooled me :pensive:

1 Like

I agree… not a shit signing, but mediocre.

Even the blind one knew, Cech was way over his prime when we signed him.
He should be a transitional keeper for us in the beginning.

We delayed the process of finding a new, younger one for too long.

1 Like