Arsène Wenger

An awful lot of hate in here today.

FA Cups are great and as fans we really shouldn’t be diminishing the excitement or value of a cup. It seems to be the trendy thing to hate on absolutely everthing but in reality it’s quite boring, and the atmosphere in the stadium really is reflected by the negative attitude of the fan base.

Wenger fans have maintained that we would succeed when the ‘shackles’ were off. Since then, we have signed a few worldies, bagged a few trophies and got ourselves up to 2nd.

The journey isn’t complete, however there is no excuse for not achieving silverware and taking the league down to the wire this season. But as long as Wenger is showing steps forward then of course the board will support him.

Why would they get rid of a man for meeting their targets? The problem we have had in the past is that fans expectations weren’t aligned with the club’s.

If Gazidis and Wenger are to be believed (and our step change in transfer policy would lead me to believe they are) then our goal is no longer ‘make a profit and get fourth as a minimum’. But to compete accross the board, on every front, and to bring the league home.

If we were top of the league and playing amazing football, the same people would be lambasting any attempt at positive discussion due to it only being November.

So I implore you to find some balance in your opinion and not write us off, because football is unpredictable and we are very much in the race.

5 Likes

And the away team more offensively. It gives them a reason to not sit back for 90 minutes as they’d be stupid to not do so away from home if the away goal rule wasn’t a thing.

Giving the away team an incentive to go out and play football, especially for travelling fans is brilliant.

To anyone not travelling however it’s just a pain that obscures any kind of home / away benefit.

Where as if their was no away goal rule both teams would just try to score more than the other team?

Any incentive it gives an away team to attack is negated by the incentive it gives he home team to sit back And defend surely?

But that hardly happens. Home team always tend to attack regardless of away goal rule.
But away team prefer to sit back even though they benefit from scoring away.
Take away goal rule out and teams will park bus even deeper.

There would have to be some kind of tie breaker though. If it was goal difference or h2h you wouldn’t risk it to take a proper beating by committing too much.

I think the idea that it forces defensive play out of the home team to be a bit overstated anyway. Sure, it doesn’t give you the freedom to go full suicide attack, but teams that are confident enough will find a way regardless to play to their strength at home. They’ll just have to do so from a more solid build up.

No there was no excuse last season which wrote off his chances completely, the league is even more challenging now and when (not if) we don’t win the PL title this year excuses will be made yet again. Last season says it all, if we can’t win when Chelsea, United and City werent at the races what makes you think it’s going to happen now? Liverpool are genuine contenders now and United won’t be so terrible forever.

You can’t tell me other managers couldn’t get more out of all the teams he’s managed over the last 10 years.

What are these steps forward? Winning FA cups isn’t a step forward not in the true sense it papered over cracks, the fact people are using it to vindicate Wenger after a barren spell lasting over 10 years is staggering. The reality is we are no closer to winning the league than we have been in recent times. You can say we’re unbeaten in November, however, Chelsea aside look at our performances against the top teams. That’s the true depiction of where we are.

2 Likes

For anyone who cba reading the last 1968 posts, here’s an audio summary in two and a half minutes:

edit: skip to 1:20 for discussion on whether Wenger is past it or not.

4 Likes

Fair summary of both sides indeed.

That’s 25% of the sample size we have against the top 6 this year you can’t just throw that out lol. In your words, Tottenham and United were lucky to get us when we’re out of sorts and not in form :expressionless: anyways Wenger’s streak of not winning the league is more like 5 years. 2005-06, and 2013-2016. All that in between doesn’t really count against him. If he doesn’t win it this year he’ll walk away at the end of his contract. Last year was when it really should have happened as I’m one that said he’d win the league again during his 3 yr contract extension. It’s okay all the more sweet when he defeats all these supposed great managers and raises the cup at the end of the season. It will make it worth the wait.

Cmon you Gunners!!!

As long as you can see nothing wrong with Wenger then that’s fine.
Some other supporters have got bored with the same season being repeated, and watching the same performances with the same inevitable outcome.
You accuse others of being boring because we express opposing views to you, but most supporters want to see the club achieve more.
It’s supporters like you, that support Wenger regardless of performances, that are boring.
Constantly defending him when it’s clear something is wrong and the team is stagnant.

We finished last season, like the previous four, needing a striker and everyone agreed we needed an upgrade on Giroud, or at least a world class winger, and guess what, we didn’t get one.

When people like you defend situations like that, most other supporters find it extremely boring.

Is that the same Spuds side that fielded a what 60% Harry Kane with no Alderweireld? The same United team with no Ibra and playing a back four consisting of Valencia, Rojo, Darmian and Phil fucking Jones?

And that’s funny you trying to cut the years of Wengers barren run to five years, man the lengths some of you will go to.

The post-Invincibles team (06-08) wasn’t established in the poverty Era either.

1 Like

“Make arsenal great again”

Similarly Post Ozil teams were not established with big money signings either.

I know, Trion. Arsenal can’t compete. 3rd/4th is our maximum. I get it.

1 Like

In a tie break situation between two teams, how can anything other than the outcome of the games between the two be a fair decider of who was better?

Goal difference basically means the better team out of Arsenal and PSG is who scored the most against Ludogorets which just doesn’t feel right to me :thinking:

1 Like

I just don’t think their is much difrence between a 1-1 draw and a 2-2 draw

Goal difrence has worked for years in the CL and for even longer than that in most leagues, the World Cup group stages too

I do find it ridiculous when head to head is used in a long league season like they perhaps do in Spain or Bundesliga…not sure which.
You can’t tell which of 20 teams you need to maintain a good head to head; but when it is down to 4 teams out of which Arsenal knows it is PSG we need to beat than head to head makes sense.

But then head to head we have 2 points each

Maybe their should have been a penalty shoot out after last nights have just in case we end on the same points,

Far from perfect but I think that would be fairer

2 Likes