Arsène Wenger

Absolutely no precedent for that I suppose, as Ive never seen any of the other top 10 or so european clubs go through a drought like this with the same manager in charge all the way through.

Which has probably not occurred during our football lives or hasn’t happened at all, so that’s that point shot out of the water.

If I’m honest, using the entire time frame as a basis for not winning the league is harsh.

This year, last year, perhaps the one before that however; we MUST be there or there abouts.

I am very on the fence with Arsene and feel like this is the final season I will give him the benefit of the doubt. We have the resources, we have the squad. I hate to use phrases like ‘it’s now or never’, but in reality the pressure should absolutely 100% be on.

4 Likes

The people you lambaste for wanting Wenger out even if it means we have to drop out of top 4 had their ‘now or never’ season between 1 and 5 years back.

3 Likes

I think the fact we are still waiting for the striker position to be sorted out might mean that not only the supporters but our best players might get fed up with the situation.

If he does splash out on a big name striker and winger, there will be plenty of people saying he deserves another season. But considering the amount of time Wenger has been here, and that he has never bought a big name striker, probably means that he won’t bother.

Let’s face it, most supporters consider the last transfer window to be his best ever, but a DM and CB, which we desperately needed, and a striker that hasn’t started a PL game yet and is unproven in the PL, is hardly anything to write home about.

If we finish outside the top four, which is quite possible, then I’m not sure that even buying Reus or Aubameyang would be enough to convince most supporters he is the right man for the job.

1 Like

Wanting Wenger out is seldom the issue. It’s the nit and grit that I occasionally disagree with.

Such as, Wenger doesn’t roam around the touchline shouting at people, therefor he is shit. Or Wenger doesn’t spend more than X net, get him out.

It’s well and good wanting change, but change is no good if you want it for the wrong reasons.

2 Likes

Yep. Basically anyone can go from ArseneCuellar to @AbouCuellar overnight.

1 Like

“Oh Wenger thinks Martial is a winger.”

“Wenger is so fucking clueless. So out of touch”

Martial ends up playing as a winger.

1 Like

Meh. It would mean a lot more if we were closer to winning the drawn games, fact is we were closer to losing them. Bit lucky.

3 Likes

Even the invincibles got lucky with a few draws. November has actually been alright for once!

The only positive thing is that we have drawn some games we would have surely lost in the past.

Getting lucky is only a positive if we can actually turn our play around and started performing properly.

1 Like

I still think its been below par as we went into November on top of our CL group and joint top of the league, now we will finish 2nd in our CL group and we are 3 points off the pace in 4th domestically.

2nd in our CL group with a better goal diffrence and without loosing to the team that finishes 1st in the group, the head to head rule is bloody stupid

1 Like

Yeah I don’t agree with the rule tbh, I was just stating our positions when November commenced and what they currently are.

1 Like

I agree with the rule.
Considering PDF owned us in both games, they deserve to be Top.

Honestly, you are like the total opposite type of person to me. I think we balance eachother out quite well. :smile:

4th and 3 points behind is fuck all, and 2nd in the group due to head to head isn’t perfect but is still a solid outcome.

We are quite out of form at the moment yet are still finding a way to grind out games, and despite us knowingly under performing, we still aren’t being beaten.

To me, that suggests that when we do find form, we will be bulldozing teams. Maybe we won’t see another Chelsea performance, but we will return to winning ways soon enough, that I assure you of.

2 Likes

I do agree if we find form the difference at the top of the league is fuck all, Us finding our form and fast is what Im concerned about. Really need to get the job done vs the Cherries at home on Sunday.

1 Like

This season is reminding me of the last one.
Walcott started well, we were doing well in the league, our defence looks good and we were hard to beat.
But the biggest similarity is we aren’t playing particularly good football even though we are getting the results.

There have been several games this season where we have got the points but the performances haven’t deserved them and it seems to happen more often.

I can’t remember many games this season where we won convincingly, with a top performance, and apart from Cazorla, it’s not as if we can blame injuries,

I think it’s Wenger’s persistence with players like Ramsey, Walcott and Chamberlain, as well as still not knowing his best attacking formation that causes this.
How he has managed to avoid sorting out the striker situation for so long and still think he can challenge for the PL and CL is staggering.

3 Likes

We drew both games, I’d have the same complaint if it was the knockout stages and we drew 2-2 at home and 0-0 or 1-1 away

Instead of the “away goal rule” why don’t they have the “away clean sheet rule” or the conceded less away rule" ?