Arsène Wenger

Leicester away we we were absolutely electric, I do remember us playing some amazing stuff last season with Theo upfront but that was more down to Alexis and Ozil being unplayable and Theo getting the basics right.

I really wish we would try to recreate that with Alexis-Perez-Iwobi sooner than later.

Jose’s struggles (both with Chelsea and Manchester United) reiterate how rare great managers are.

Not saying that Wenger shouldn’t retire, but I think, this year, we should all be rather thankful for a class manager to hang around as long as he has.

I think we would all LOVE to send Wenger off with a Premier League (or even Champions League) trophy.

2 Likes

Im sure we’d all love it but realistically everyone knows Wenger isn’t winning the Premier League again and lets not even bother discussing the Champions League.

3 Likes

Bit premature aye? United can still finish above us…

I had say Mourinho struggled with Real Madrid as well.

Anyway, it’s too early to say Mourinho is struggling with United.

He did win the league one year with Madrid scoring a stupid amount of goals, he failed in Europe with them though.

That title win made sure it was not a complete failure but it took Pep Guardiola to lose focus, for them to have a sniff.

Pretty sure they set a points and goals scored record that year?

121 goals and 100 points.
However Real have been to 96 points season before Mourinho joined(or season before that…not sure) and always score 100-105 goals per league season.
Upto individuals with their agendas to decide that that’s pushing their limits or a marginal improvement :wink:

Jose is just going through the same thing Wenger went through like 8 years ago. Eventually shit passes you by and it’s going by so fast while ego maniacs like Wenger and Jose are digging their heels in so its like passing them by in triple time.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well. Every empire falls, now it’s time for Mourinho to taste it but without having the support and loyalty of a huge club

1 Like

You don’t have to be wrong, but this team also isn’t the finished product, at all. Too say things have past been buy seem a bit premature. First we were laughing at the quality of the United team, and now with 4 players added to a team that dropped out of top four twice, they should win the League?

Sky have made a “The Wenger Years” show to mark Wenger20. Well worth a watch. Only 6 minutes but still good. :trophy:

1 Like

Barf

[quote=“Calum, post:1422, topic:125, full:true”]
Sky have made a “The Wenger Years” show to mark Wenger20. Well worth a watch. Only 6 minutes but still good.
[/quote]No doubt 5 minutes will be of the first 10 years, and one minute for the last 10 :wenger:

5 Likes

Can’t help but wonder all the time where it all went wrong.
The change from powerful counter attacking team to a possesion based style where possesion has become the goal rather then the tool (with the similarities being playing over the ground and moving the ball quickly)? The change in formation from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1? The choice of players? From a midfield based on physicality (Vieira and Petit/Gilberto) to a more having quick and agile players on the pitch since Wilshere broke through?
He has been figured out. Ferguson even wrote about that in his book, but would that have happened if we still played like before 2009?

2 Likes

He got blinded by what Barca was doing, and being an egomaniac, thought he could do the same, but with shitty players. When it didn’t work, he dug his heels in…and now we’re in some kind of weird limbo where we don’t really do anything of note and have an odd mix of players all over the pitch.

3 Likes

Very great and emotional video. Shame Le Boss has gone so backwards since 2005.

Stay classy Maureen, stay classy!

1 Like