Arsène Wenger

Think she works on countdown so probably just posting a word defeniton and someone retweeted it onto my TL and said the definition of that word sounds like what wenger is doing to us hah

1 Like

She does work on Countdown, in dictionary corner.

My dad well fancies her but I’m all about Rachel Riley. Never has the generational gap been more obvious haha

1 Like

I’d be cool with signing Evans at that price if it was supplementary to us signing another central defender. The position badly needs improvement and what I don’t want to see is him being our sole signing.

I described him as average, but that wasn’t meant perjoratively. When I say average that could be read as meaning good, but no more than that. I don’t think I underrated him because I have come round to recognising his skills, but if we’re talking about our sole signing in that area then I want more.

I completely agree - Evans would be a pretty underwhelming, if not functional, signing.

I want and expect more but if he was one of 2 CB signings, we could do worse for £3m. Even if he is 31, that is a steal in the current market.

And as much as I hate saying shit like this, if Guardiola wanted him then that at least adds some credibility to him being a decent addition to the squad.

Perhaps want him for homegrown quota

If we signed a top quality CB, which we obviously need, and also Evans as a replacement for Mertesacker and as cover for Kos and the new CB, that would be very good business.

But Evans is used to playing in a well organised defence, both at Man U and West Brom when they had Pulis, I’m not sure he would be able to perform as well in a defence with seemingly limited organisation, especially at his age.

It would also mean that Chambers and Holding would be pushed back even further down the order.
If we do sign a CB I hope it is a true top quality player and not just Evans.

Perhaps, but they ended up signing Laporte in the end so that would point to them just wanting a CB.

With age comes experience, which is essential for a centre back. Also there’s good reason why City were in for Evans. He’s very solid centre back who can ping accurate 70yard passes and is very comfortable on the ball. He’s a title winner who’s got better since he left United.

I’m fully braced for an underwhelming window come summer.

And even if we sign a top player I’d still be bummed that this prick is the one that will be managing him.

6 Likes

Imagine if we hear alongside the new shirt deal that wenger has signed another 3 year deal because the club would love to give him 25 years in charge :arteta: :henry2:

This soundbite will be heard again for definite ‘we feel Arsene is the still the right man for the job and to take the club forward’

:giroud: :giroud2: :giroud3:

No Löw though interesting

2 Likes

WHAAAAAAAAT :cech:

What a last thing to read before going to sleep :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Mislintat is believed to be concentrating his attention in Germany. He is a big fan of 30-year-old Hoffenheim manager Julian Nagelsmann and Shalke’s Domenico Tedesco, who is just two years older.

Gazidis is known to be a big admirer of former Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta, who is also somebody Sanllehi rates, and is impressed by the work of Monaco’s Leonardo Jardim and Celtic’s Brendan Rodgers.

Spanish sources claim that Sanllehi’s favoured candidate is Luis Enrique, who he worked with successfully at Barcelona.

Enrique won two La Liga titles and the Champions League while in charge of Barcelona and is keen to resume his managerial career in England when he completes his year-long sabbatical.

The Spaniard has also been linked with Chelsea, but his wage demands, which are said to top £10 million-a-year, could put off both clubs.

That’s who they want. I have a telegraph account so can read one premium article a week for free.

This is like my least favourite argument in the world. So fucking what? The fact that he won a title like 5 years ago says fuck all about his quality as a player. Phil Jones is a title winner, let’s snap him up too.

If I turned to you and tried to extol the virtues of Fabians Delph because he’s a title winner you’d probably tell me to fuck off. Don’t misconstrue this as me trashing your whole post, because I’m not and I did acknowledge Evans’ ability, but even bringing up a title win as if it means something significant is just silly.

Especially when the player was a million miles from being an essential cog.

I refuse to get my hopes up, even if the press are changing their tune with that “regardless of the EL outcome”. This could be posturing for next summer in all fairness. I really can see Wenger digging in for his last year.

2 Likes

Yea none of it means anything until we see something to the effect of " Josh Kroenke has told his dad to stop being a dick and bring in a new manager".

All comes down to Stan.

2 Likes

If there was a trophy for " underwhelming transfer window," we would win it every season.
It’s not just our windows are poor, it’s having to watch all the other top clubs strengthen while Wenger dithers and haggles.

I agree.
As a businessman, Kroenke has watched his investment fall behind his rivals after every season.
He might admire Wenger, but he also knows that we are falling way behind, and another season with the same manager serves absolutely know purpose at all.

Wenger only has one season on his contract, and he has wasted so many, that we have stagnated to a level it will be difficult to get out of.

The most ardent Wenger supporter must see it is pointless for him to stay on, and a new manager is long overdue, even if we win the Europa League.

Think about the state of season ticket renewals if Wenger stays though.

No matter what happens in the transfer market, people are fed up with him and I can see the renewals being highly affected.

It’s quite obvious the prices have to go up if we want a better manager. Fans have to chip in.

3 Likes

Unless Stan / the board etc. collectively make the decision to fire Wenger, he will be here for another year. No way he walks of his own volition. He’s way to proud and arrogant (narcissistic even) to resign and admit he is not the best man for the job. He’ll want to stay to try to prove he can turn it around and ultimately prove people wrong.

Would be such a shame to waste one more year of the careers of Ozil, Mhiki, Auba, Ramsey etc. on a nothing season with Wenger in charge.

The only situation in which I would be “satisfied” with Wenger staying is on the proviso that we can’t obtain our first choice managerial target, but instead lock the first choice in to join the club on 1 June 2019, and that Wenger absolutely loses control of recruitment decisions / contract extensions for the next 12 months.

We of course won’t know whether any of this is actually happening but if it’s just radio silence and Wenger staying for the remainder of his contract, it’s going to be another grim fucking season.

6 Likes

I think the board and Wenger would come to mutual agreement and he will leave.

We can’t have yet another wasted season.
It’s not as if we are drifting along in fourth place and are still scraping in qualifying for the CL places.
We have dropped out of the top four and are falling too far behind all our rivals for Wenger to even keep up with them.

Other clubs, like Chelsea, who know the manager isn’t going to stay, have lost form and the players make it obvious they aren’t motivated and are just collecting their wages.
So if Wenger stays, not only will the players be unmotivated, they will also have a manager that is way past his best and not able to compete with any of his rivals.

The board have had plenty of time to look for a new manager, and should have at least three or four on the short list.

There isn’t another club in Europe that would have let this situation go on for so long.
It’s just embarrassing

2 Likes