Arsène Wenger

It’s ineptness not crookedness.

4 Likes

Announce madness

Arsenal simply haven’t signed enough young talents with the talent to develop into genuine stars. Without the progress of Iwobi, who has emerged from the youth ranks to feature regularly in the first team, the senior team would be entirely bereft of youthful attackers.

but they would be Band-Aids rather than long-term solutions. Outside of a flurry of five assists at the beginning of this season, Mkhitaryan has never shown that Dortmund form under José Mourinho at Manchester United. Plus, he turns 29 next week and is almost certainly entering the back end of his peak physical capability. Arsenal would be signing a player—and no doubt at great expense, given Mkhitaryan’s legendarily tough negotiating agent, Mino Raiola—as a reclamation project.

3 Likes

That’s my biggest issue with the business we’re attempting to do right now.

In terms of youth players with genuine potential we are seriously lacking particularly in the attacking positions and to be honest it just isn’t good enough, especially considering how much we’re getting for our deadwood and the fact there are definitely some good looking prospects about.

Hopefully Sven will help massively with this but at the moment it’s looking shitty.

2 Likes

It may be for the best that no younger prospects at this time are coming.

This is simplistic, saying he will ruin them but he is now a terrible coach to develop youngsters, or any player that isn’t polished. Xhaka, Iwobi, Welbeck, Sanogo, literally any defender we have apart from Kos and I could go on.

These may have been bad players but some of them are better than what they have shown, and have regressed from where they were when they first burst onto the scene.

I’d feel better of getting talent to groom with a new manager, part of the fresh start we will get.

7 Likes

I disagree. We are only 20 days into the January window (which is normally not full of blockbuster deals historically), and under a new regime, and it looks to me we are on the way to remedying that situation. We’ve signed a promising young defender. We were hot after a 20 yo Brazilian Winger, who by most accounts will join in the summer. We’ve supposedly kicked the tires on Richarlson too another 20 year old player.

All of these moves have Sven written all over them. Sure it could be Wenger, however it would be way out of character for him to be interested in these types of moves. Either he’s had control wrestled away from him, or he’s had a chat and been convinced that this is the way to go about our transfer business going forward.

Mkhi is only happening as a makeweight in the Sanchez deal, and Auba is a fucking no brainer. If a WC forward comes available you grab him. The goal in the league still should be to make top 4 and even though we are behind the eight ball at this point, if we can stop the bleeding and bring in a couple good signings, it gives us a hell of a lot better chance.

To finish top 4 in the league we’d havd to win 13 of our final 15 matches, please stop dreaming.

1 Like

I hope that your optimism is well-founded. Lord knows that Arsenal (and the fans) could use a shot in the arm or at the very least, the club looking like they have a coherent transfer policy going forward.

Miki is a bit underwhelming, but is much better if PEA is on board as well. However, if the PEA deal gets scuppered/Arsenal penny pinch yet again, the toxic atmosphere will only increase.

Surely, Wenger knows that whatever small chance there is of keeping Ozil, he needs to show some ambition soon.

1 Like

Mkhi and Auba aren’t going to change anything. We weren’t good with the vaunted AOL; we may be low in squad depth but the teams we were putting out with Laca, Alexis, Özil, Ramsey, along with good defenders like Monreal, Kos, etc. were quite good, and much better than the results we were getting. Mkhi and Auba won’t change the results, best thing we can hope for with Wenger as manager is to hold water and get similar results or maybe a bit better with a bit more luck re: decisions/game-changing plays going more our way. But that won’t be enough to overcome 8 pts in 15 games. Winning Europa is our only chance at this point, and that’s a total crapshoot, especially with the aforementioned problems that come from having a deficient manager, where we’ll need luck on our side.

2 Likes

How do you figure? That would put us at 78 points, when is the last time 4th place finished with 78 points?

The amount is getting higher and higher, we missed out with what 75 points last season ? Current 4th placed team is going at more than 2 points a game if I’m not mistaken ?

It’s not nailed on the scum look average and Chelsea are dropping points left and right. We’ve finished top 4 with 69 points before. We’ll see what happens. Not saying it’s gonna be easy but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. One thing is for sure we need to start winning now and the point of my initial post was Mkhi and Auba should help with that.

Not winning 13 out of 15…
Even winning 10 out of 15 is difficult

2 Likes

To be honest wining any more than half our matches will be difficult, when you have won 7 of your last 24 away league games.

1 Like

Imagine all this time Wenger just needed other football people around him with the confidence and experience to talk him into these sort of signings…and he’s spent the best part of a decade blocking such a person coming in… If so I hope he feels like a dick now.

2 Likes

I admire your faith in Sven but whilst Wenger is manager we are signing no senior player that Wenger does not want to sign. Sven is a scout not our director of football or manager. He recommends players, but we sign nobody unless it gets the all clear from the big man. Ultimately - you need to wait until Wenger is gone before we can truly see Sven and the new team’s influence on proceedings. Until then, don’t expect too much.

4 Likes

I would flip that around a little and say, whilst Wenger may have wanted both signings, he had far less chance of obtaining them without Sven, so I think his influence is up and running already

2 Likes

@BigWeng_4LYFE needs to put total faith in a figure at this club, it was once Arsene but now he has become our very first SKB :smile:

6 Likes

Heh. Congrats A4TT & fuck you traitor.

1 Like

Err we’re all SKBs mate. Svengali is weaving his magic already and we’re in love.

3 Likes