Arsène Wenger

I definitely agree with the last part. I think we’ve spent horribly. I was always against the Mustafi signing anyway whilst Xhaka has turned out to be one of the worst buys under Wenger.

1 Like

Why? Mustafi looked good for Valencia.

Mustafi’s been alright, but no more alright than say, Vermaelen or Gallas or Mertesacker. I don’t follow European football like I used to but I’d be very surprised if he was the best CB that £35m could have got you that year.

2 Likes

Mustafi has been pretty good bar two or three major blunders which really stick in the mind. Xhaka and Laca seem like 85m we could have used a lot more wisely. Xhaka for sure we’ve seen enough of. Laca will get more time but jaysus guy doesn’t help us be dangerous at all so far, so easy to defend.

1 Like

Hayden tells the story of his Arsenal debut at West Brom in September 2013 and how, after Wenger had named him in the squad but excluded him from the team shape drills, he assumed he would be a substitute. When he got to The Hawthorns, it was the kitman, Vic Akers, who told him he was starting. Wenger then dropped another bombshell; he would be in midfield. He had been used purely as a centre-half in training and, even after the game, in which Hayden played well, the manager continued to push him as a defender.

To Hayden, Wenger was difficult to read; his style slightly off the cuff.

“It was at the Rosewood hotel in London and there was a big bowl of chocolates on the table,” Hayden says. “All of a sudden, he got two big handfuls of them and he lined them up in formation. He started asking me questions. ‘Right, if the ball came in from here and the centre-halves are here, where would you be?’ Sometimes, he said: ‘Brilliant.’ Other times, he said: ‘No. That’s a very English answer.’ It was like a coaching session at the first meeting. After it, I told my agent: ‘I don’t care what it takes. I just want to make this transfer happen.’”

This is actually quite an interesting read.

2 Likes

I read that quote and thought what the fuck Wenger talking about positioning, then read the article and saw it was about Benitez.

These definitely sound like Arsenal quotes though :mustafi:

The manager did not want to rule him out but Hayden could barely walk and he would stay at home that night. The following morning – the day of the Hull game – he reported for a fitness test. The swelling had subsided slightly and the medical team wondered whether he could play. He was still in pain.

“They didn’t scan the injury,” Hayden says. “They just said: ‘It’s OK to play on.’ I said it was sore but they were like: ‘That’s normal on a sprain. It’ll be fine.’ So I did a rehab session and I couldn’t even kick the ball.

2 Likes

This Article has fuelled by Rafa for Arsenal manager agenda :sweat_smile:

Rafa’s football mind and managerial methodology still sounds as sharp as ever!

1 Like

gotta bring in someone new. I would like to see either Thomas Tuchel or Maurizo Sarri. Both exciting managers that like to play a nice brand of football

1 Like
1 Like

We’re only 11 trophy’s behind Liverpool’s overall trophy hall

Win the Europa, league cup and fa cup this season and only 8 to go, Wenger could potentially break that record before he retires

2 Likes

Save the jokes for inside the Christmas crackers :wink:

6 Likes

Man City will do it before us.

1 Like

No they won’t

1 Like

If Kroenke or his son stay here, and the Man City owner stays there, why not?

As for Wenger breaking any trophy record :facepalm:

1 Like

Because Pep will fuck off and they simply won’t be that consistent. In the ten years or so they’ve been in control city have 5 trophies and we have 3 (assuming kaner isn’t being ridiculous and including charity shields here). They’re 16 behind as it stands.

1 Like

There is no way Wenger is going to win 11 trophies at Arsenal before he retires.

1 Like

Obviusly not, 3/4/5 trophy’s in the next 5 years is easily doable though

1 Like

Next 5 years? I don’t even think I’d watch football anymore if this man was our manager for the next 5 years.

10 Likes

Just thinking of the next 5 weeks with this man is painful…5 years good god i dont think i can deal with that.

And yet your an admin on a forum for arsenal fans, how many years til you call it quits then?

1 Like