Arsène Wenger

You are more than welcome to live in the Wenger dream, and keep making Wenger look good

We all i know Almunia was no good. if memory serves he was always referred to on the old OA forum as Almuniwank. BUT the blame surely has to lie solely with Lehman?

Edit, just saw your post. true the ref did us no favours when he did have options open to him.

Lehmann stopped what seemed a certain goal - but yes, Lehmann got sent off which hurt.

Almunia let two in, which were both at his near post. That is the reason we lost 2-1.

Only one word for why we lost that final. Larsson

I spose both points of view have merit. personally, i put the whole thing on Lehman. i’d sooner give up a goal than go a man down, especially against the likes of Barcelona.

Larsson was just a cult figure at that time.

Eto’o turned it on, Almunia couldn’t save, and Henry couldn’t have scored a root in a brothel.

We were outplayed. That’s how the red card came about, because they slid through us like a warm knife through butter. They forced that error by outplaying us. The two goals that followed were nothing more than a logical consequence.

Which isn’t a shame against that Barcelona side anyway.

Easily said 10 years after! ha

I’m sure none of us were as logical and calm about the result, even 3-4 years later.

Interestingly, RVP was on the bench, and never came on; shows how much time goes on.

Not sure we’re you getting at, but you were claiming we weren’t outplayed that game. But we actually were.

I’d like to buy a pint for the creative mind who came up with this nugget.

Almost as good as Chamwank, Wank Persie and Wankary Wangna.

3 Likes

Sadly, i don’t drink, and it wasn’t me that came up with it :henry:

As a casual observer who had never watched a football match in his life, Arsenal were far better than Barcelona even with 10 men. This is what made me an Arsenal supporter today. Not only did I think Arsenal were superior with 10 men but that the officials fucked Arsenal in that match.

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdfuyWZrCsQ

What I personally don’t like is that somehow we as a club and fanbase feel we own him a living. Like Arsenal weren’t winning titles before he came, it’s something that I dislike immensely about my fellow gunners. I thank him for what he did in the past but for me it’s always the same what have you do for us now, it should be with every manager we have. To go 12 years without a title is unacceptable at a great Club like Arsenal. We won’t win it every year I understand but damn I would like to see our manager try and show some ambition like he went out and gave it a go.

I don’t see him going anywhere until the end of the season, unless we have such a horror start to the next two to three months and the fans get seriously on his back. I think he knows himself that the way the transfer window has gone and scrutiny he’s been out under near the end of last season and so far this one, him signing a new contract won’t go down too well. I’ve felt since the moment he let RVP join Man UTD, he lost me and should have stepped down. That’s the moment we stopped been a top side imo. The Fa Cup win over Hull should have been the perfect moment to step down but that wasn’t to be. He’s hurt the clubs image long before this summer if we’re been honest. Given him full control of Transfer is one of the biggest mistakes this club has ever made.

I won’t insult him but I won’t be all teary eyed when he leaves either, I be over the moon. This club needs a ambitious manager with new ideas and a desire to win. Who’s not afraid to make tough decisions and upset people. Wenger’s outstayed he’s welcome.

6 Likes

I will, it will be one of the happiest days of my life.

6 Likes

Jesus Christ, 6 years more and we’ll be entering Fever Pitch levels of desperation.

2 Likes

To all those people that thought Arsene would fix our problems in the summer transfer window surely now you must concede he will never change ? If last seasons collapse allowing Leicester to run away with the title wont do it, nothing will.

5 Likes

Aussie,
You can’t question those people’s god.
Wenger can’t be wrong.

2 Likes

You can complain about timing and preparation but you really can’t judge his transfer business until September 1st.

It was with less than 7 days left in previous windows that we signed Mertesacker, Ozil, Welbeck, Arteta, Arshavin, Monreal, Gabriel. We may not like it, but this is an Arsenal tactic for transfers so we’ll just have to wait and see before getting upset about it.

I think you can absolutely judge his transfer business before September 1st. Any purchase now sacrifices getting that player prepared and the team gelled, which has to be done on the fly now. For almost any player that means a wait for them to actually perform at a good level.

In the meantime we have a squad that aren’t good enough to compete, and that wait has certainly cost us any shot at the title and European qualification is already a massive question mark. It might be with the right signings we can salvage that, but honestly having watched variations of the same season over and over again since 2006, it’s very difficult to be any more than ambivalent to that goal.

13 Likes