Arsène Wenger

As i said, the man is his own worst enemy. to bring up the employees as an excuse, i mean, it doesn’t even make any sense. wtf was he trying to achieve by mentioning how many people are employed by the club?

If we were in serious debt with little to no cash reserves i’d understand because then the fans are being completely unreasonable. but the fact is we are cash rich, and can comfortably spend another £100 million without risking the stability of the club. and it’s because of that fact alone the fans are demanding signings. i don’t recall the fans ever demanding signings that were beyond the means of the club.

The man is off his rocker and he’s got ALLOT to answer for!

2 Likes

10 days to go and we find ourselves in a very very familiar position. The team has large gaping holes in it and the manager isn’t able to fix them. All I know is that come 31st, if Wenger hasn’t magically found a solution to our obvious problems, this could be an ugly season for him to endure. It’s already quite ugly and it will certainly get worse. Having said that, if he can’t bring the players we need and get the fans excited, the least he can do is bring in a new approach to our tactics, our formation, the players we play in the team. That might just raise the interest levels in the fans. That’s what I am hoping for. Some freshness in our approach to the game. If we can’t can’t challenge for the title, which most likely would be the case, wouldn’t it be some consolation if we could play a more exciting brand of football. I know it’s easier said than done but it sure would be better than watching us play a boring style of football while not getting results.

1 Like

I understand the criticism and frustration behind Wenger’s transfer policy, or there lack of, but I really don’t see how his tactics, as a whole, can be challenged. Wenger’s player tactics are no more in question than any another manager.

Fans, supporters, media personnel and critics alike all think they can break down the constructed plays of Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Guus Hiddink, but they are always brought up in hindsight, and rarely, if ever, before the fact.

2 Likes

Manchester City?

We beat them, very well, multiple times.

I’m also going to suggest that our apparent defensive frailties are proven to be on a statistical level, completely false.

That’s the fucking point.

Edit: to keep the flow here I was fuckig around and my post got deleted but it was about how we set up vs man city and how we set up against everyone else.

So us beating them, comfortably, proves that he is inept?

No us beating them, with a certain tactic, and then completely abandoning that successful tactic shows he is inept.

So when we used a different tactic to beat Bayern Munich at home, as well as an increasingly comfortable victory over Manchester United, proves, too, that Wenger is inept?

Are you basing your argument on more then those games? What differences and tactical approaches does he have? In what way does a few exceptions of his overall stale tactical approach make him a good tactician? In what way and in which games has he been able to tactically change the ongoing game and come out on top? How important has his 70th minute substitutions been for his success?

1 Like

Yes, it does. Why don’t we play like that against everyone? We only play that way against those teams because he’s afraid of getting a pasting. But if it works against those teams wouldn’t it stand to reason that instead of a suicidal high line all out attack game plan against the likes of the Scum and Liverpool, and frankly against everyone else outside of the big clubs would be a smart tactic?

Isn’t a tactic of positional discipline, whole team defense and correct spatial reasoning a more repeatable action than just “go be creative and attack don’t worry about the defense they’ll handle it”? Because that is what we do.

1 Like

@Ocke

I would’ve thought going to the Champions League final in 2006, without conceding a goal in a billion minutes.

Yes, we lost, but one could hardly say we were outplayed tactically.

If anything, we went down to 10 men, and took the lead for forty or so minutes, and tactically, we were rather faultless. If not for Henry’s off-day, and Almunia being Almunia, Wenger’s legacy would be very different.

2x 5-2 wins in 2012 along with multiple other demolitions in the past against the spurs.

We also beat Liverpool 4-1 at Anfield last year.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/behnisch/status/767738361461301249

I remember when we played good football and didn’t win anything and we wished we didn’t play good football and won things like all the other clubs.

We’ve managed to accomplish half of that. Still waiting for the winning part though.

2 Likes

If those teams open up and try to actually play football it could work, but against most teams it’s really just inviting them to create more chances than they usually do by sitting back and letting them have a go.

This whole debate shouldn’t be about defensive records anyway, but more about playing as a team as a whole and having every part play to the team’s success. In that regard I agree with the second paragraph, that we should be looking to play a lot more disciplined and have a better understanding of how to attack and defend, instead of chasing some idea of everyone figuring it out for himself. It works when you have the quality to do so, but if not it’s merely just trying to break teams down with a sledgehammer by repeating the same over and over again.

1 Like

The 2 away fixtures against them 2 conceding 8 goals does yeah.

1 Like

You mean Lehman?

If Wenger had signed Ibra, Messi, Ronaldo when they were a kid, his legacy would be very different.

1 Like

no I mean, Almunia being Almunia; two shots on target, two goals.

No wonder you’re consistently negative, tough height to jump!

How the fuck did that guy even get on the pitch for Arsenal? I wonder…I wonder…

Almunia?

Was never good enough.

In regards to the Lehmann incident of 2006, I wonder what would’ve been better; a penalty and a yellow, or the red and the free kick.

Taking Pires off hurt us bad, but we didn’t have much of a choice.

1 Like