Arsène Wenger

Not one is denying it. He is our most successful manager ever, but you can’t say we were a nothing club before him.

Who said we were nothing?

Well, someone said we were not as important as we are now.

we weren’t

Ah the old Kaner arguing against his imagination routine.

4 Likes

Because United actually made more winning Europa than they did playing in the CL

It’d have to be Wenger taking over at Liverpool, Everton couldn’t match us in the transfer market, Liverpool could outspend us though. Or maybe Newcastle or Leeds who were spending loads in the 90s. Shit imagine if we had Peter Ridsdale as chairman, we’d be playing in the lower leagues.

I don’t actually think Rioch’s short tenure was the big failure it’s often described as. He took us from 12th to 5th in one season and it was he who started the change in our style of play and turned us into more of an attacking force. Players such as Bergkamp and particularly Merson have both gone on record to say they’ll be eternally grateful to the man. In Bergkamp’s case, Rioch eased him in. And in Merson’s case Rioch spent a lot of time with him one on one to help him after his addiction and therapy. Also, the end of the drinking culture at Arsenal started with Rioch.

Do I think we’d have been as successful if we’d kept him? No. But I also don’t think Wenger would have had as much success at Everton as he has had with us. It’s all subjective though – we just simply don’t know.

1 Like

No one is saying anything different. But you could also argue, would Wenger have been able to achieve the same success without the best and most experienced defence in Europe, which was assembled and trained by Graham?

The fact is that before Wenger we were the biggest club in London and the third best supported in the league, as well as being one of the most successful, and now we aren’t even the best club in London.

Wenger has been our best and most successful manager but not any more.

What is annoying is when people say we weren’t a big club before he came here, which simply isn’t true.

Well he did didn’t he? The invincible defence has nothing to do with Graham’s defence

So much of what you say makes no sense at all lol

o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570

fancy pointing out something I’ve said that’s dosent make sense?

His first two PL titles were with Graham’s defence, so could he have won those without him?
No one is saying he isn’t a great manager but the almost total disregard for what we were before him is ridiculous.

Graham took us from mediocrity to six trophies in eight seasons, Wenger’s last twelve seasons has seen us win three FA Cups and drop out of the top four.

This is Arsenal football club not Arsene football club.

2 Likes

I said Wenger was our greatest manager but not anymore. What doesn’t make sense?

The delusion among Arsenal fans into thinking that even without the timing of Wenger era & globalisation of Premiere League, Arsenal would have been a big club, is mental.

Aston Villa & Everton were as big a club but because they didn’t match up with United in 90s & 00s, they remain in mid table & didn’t garner the global fan base.

Arsenal is a big club worldwide, not because of its past achievements; but because of its achievements during Internet era.

And the past achievements are quite sparse anyway. Arsenal have never had a consistent stage where they were successful.

1 Like

Read your post again and you will see you said sucsessful not greatest

Wenger is still our most sucsessful manager

I don’t think he would have chosen for Arsenal anyway. If Internazionale didn’t sign Spalletti I think he would have gone there.

The reason I have doubts about Ancelotti, btw, is that he has never really build a team from the ground up. PSG, Chelsea and Real already bought exceptional squads when they hired him. Managing those kind of squads and having to build something from the ground up are two different things. You could argue he did that with Milan, but back then they had the millions of Berlusconi available and Galliani was still able to attract really good players.

If it’s wasn’t for Arsene Wenger theirs a good chance this forum wouldn’t even exist lol

1 Like

It’s hard to argue both sides of this debat. But Wenger has the benefit of the doubt since he was the manager when it all came together.

The signing of Bergkamp being the other, be it a small, sign of where Arsenal stood as a club. They were able to attract a player who was 2nd in the Ballon d’or voting and 3rd in the Fifa World Player of the Year voting in 1993. You don’t sign a star like that if you aren’t a club of big stature.

3 Likes