Arsène Wenger

Won a lot of trophies in that time period as well. Domestically in knockout tournaments we are by far exceeding what we should based upon our resources compared to City, United, Chelsea.

1 Like

So if we finished a bit closer to the champions you’d finally stop moaning?

Tbf winning the majority of our games really isn’t much of a standard as it can mean depending on how many competitions you include and even if it wasn’t just the Premier League that we could also finish somewhere around 6th or 7th place.

1 Like

I’d be happier but probably still moan :joy:. In all honesty if we could jag the odd premier league title here and there I’d stop moaning.

2 Likes

Leicester title was the missed opportunity, we signed no one outfield, if we signed Lacazette earlier we could’ve won it. Anyway you live and you learn. We have Lacazette now, Giroud off the bench, Ozil and Alexis hopefully staying, lots of other options and Kolasinac has been great. Let’s see where that takes us

1 Like

Right but my point is if your hobby is sitting down 1/2 times a week for 90 minutes to watch a team play football and that team leaves you happy the majority of the time then your doing well,

Obviously that is then Tampered by the fact the disappointment of loosing is worse because your less used to that feeling than a football fan that experiences that most weekends

1 Like

The bare minimum as usual.
I’m sure we will hear the same excuses from Wenger when the window has closed and see the same players that got us fifth place in and around the first team.

1 Like

Depressing. So, another player or 2 away from a legit challenge? :sleepy: After counting on two of Ramsey/Walcott/Ox to perform great all season for the last few years and it not working, you’d think that he would be buying a midfielder.

Maddening when the resources ($$$) sit there going unused.

1 Like

Well yeah if you ask Stoke, West Ham or even Solihull Moors’ fans, of course they’d be happy with that. But we’re not one of those teams. We’re supposed to be one of the best teams in England and we constantly fall below par. The likes of Brighton and Huddersfield will be ecstatic if they just manage to stay up, whereas we’ll be annoyed if we finish 5th - it’s about expectations, it’s not as simple as “Oh well we won more than we lost so we should be happy.” That means nothing if we’re not even close to competing for the league title.

2 Likes

Their are lots of teams in England, being in the top 4, fuck it even 5 out of hundreds and hundreds still means you are one of the best teams in England it’s basic maths

Also even @Aussiegooner conseeded last night we are not below par we are basically bang on par as the only teams that achieve more than us have more resources than us

To you maybe, for me seeing arsenal win football matches is one of the best things possible and we do that in most of the games we play, even if we don’t always end up with a trophy come the end of the season dosent affectt enjoyment of that, although we have ended most seasons recently with a trophy as well as winning most of our matches that season so that makes it even better

Yeah basically we have the 4th greatest resources in the country, but one would expect the side with the 4th greatest resources would jag a league Title every decade…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say Spurs have more resources than us. Nor Liverpool actually, man for man I’d say we probably have the better squad.

Of course winning is nice. But that doesn’t change the fact that we should be achieving more. I’m not expecting to win the league but we should at least be competing, being 18 points behind the champions is simply not good enough.

4 Likes

That’s what I was getting at with our underachieving, the fact that 11 of our last 13 seasons we have been 10+ points off the Champions is disappointing.

2 Likes

Sorry what have spurs and Liverpool achieved recently that we haven’t? We have the 3rd or 4th most resources in the league and genrelly finish their

Good enough for what?

We didn’t finish above them last season though - that is what I was referring to. Last season was disappointing in that regard! Like I said, winning more games than we lose means nothing if it only gets us 5th place. It’s hard to end a season like that and think, “Well we have more Ws than Ls so it’s all good.” Even when we finish 4th we’re usually quite far away, points wise, from the champions. That is what I mean by not good enough. But if you think not being competitive in the league is fine then good for you :+1:

Of corse it means something, it means that most weekends you are happy (unless you aren’t happy when we win, for me regardless of the opposition watching arsenal win football matches makes me happy)

Obviously it would be nice to win the league come the end of it all but that dosent take away the enjoyment you have taken over the corse of the season wa chin arsenal win matches

Arsenal winning football matches makes me happy and we do that more often than not it’s not rocket science is it?

2 Likes

I was jumping about like a dope on Friday night. Scared the fuck out of the dog and everything. But it’s a fleeting moment winning a game like that. Something like the invincibles or the way we won the league in 98 is something I can still look back on fondly even this far down the line.

The moments matter but unless they add up to something bigger they don’t matter that much. But hey, that’s how I feel. Enjoy them as much or as little as you choose to.

3 Likes

If football is your hobby and the team you choose to follow wins basically all the time then your hobby is giving you a good return in enjoyment

The Mail are clickbait merchants. I don’t think they have anyone that’s ITK about Arsenal. So at best it’s speculation.

I think of it like this.

If you have a real piece of shit car you bought for £250, you’re just grateful (/happy) when it starts in the morning and don’t really care if the electric mirrors don’t work etc.

If however you go out and spend a fortune on a new car, you could be rightly pissed off if even the smallest thing doesn’t work properly.

I see Arsenal as a car just out of warranty that fails it’s MOT on fucking windscreen wipers.

2 Likes