Arsène Wenger

The real issue is that he doesn’t have a disciplined (strangely enough) and systematic window-by-window approach to do just this… now we have an accumulation of both:

a) too many average players

b) too many holes where we need WC

So any move to properly solve it now involves Maxi’s “football manager” style work. But FFS that is just BS argument at this point. We have enough resources, assets to sell that aren’t doing us any good to properly upgrade multiple positions, even if incrementally, and shore up our weaknesses.

It is stupid to wait another summer - we’ll be in the f*ing same place next year. Bite the bullet and do more now.

2 Likes

Plus the strategy to keep Sanchez doesn’t line up unless another top flight midfielder (or two) is brought in THIS window. Sure, Sanchez (and some health for other key players) could see Arsenal back into the CL and the money “earned” is perhaps close to what the club can get now for Sanchez.

Isn’t the point of keeping him is that the club can contend now? If so, the midfield needs an upgrade now.

Perhaps, the odds are low of Sanchez staying regardless, but wouldn’t the odds increase if more obvious talent upgrades are brought in? Would be easier to show Sanchez that you are building a team to match his ambitions.

If Sanchez leaves, you would have his big shoes to fill, but not the other holes that exist now.

Also, Wenger would increase his chances of riding off into the sunset as a winner or at the very least, leave a good lineup for the new manager to work with.

2 Likes

Understand your concern but I would first worry about getting the average skill and quality of the squad up, before worrying about bringing the age down. There are too many average players in this squad (Ramsey, Coq, Walcott, Gibbs). That is what concerns me more than the age thing. Also, talented youngsters cost a premium today, something that will always be a factor for us, unless we can unearth hidden diamonds from lesser known leagues, like Wenger used to be able to do many years ago. Whatever happened to our once famous scouting network.

Especially now that we have missed out on the Champions League he should spend more.

Think you are getting a bit hasty here. Leicester, stroke and a Liverpool without Coutinho are the first 3 opponents, and our squad is ready for all 3 imo.

Are you sure it’s from 2005? The quality would suggest the interview was taken approximately sometime around 1567.

1 Like

I hope that you are right. I’m quite frustrated to seeing seasons start out poorly due to poor management. Wenger does himself no favors by his proclivity to wait until quite late in the window, after the season has started. My position is that this doesn’t save money and actually costs the club.

I’m encouraged by the Lacazette signing. Need to have the midfield strengthened prior to the season and Arsenal may have an outside chance at the league.

I don’t think we can assume Coutinho will be sold. Can’t lose to Liverpool this time either.

Going into the first few games of the season still needing to sign a CM or striker for squad depth is a very difrent scinario to going into the first game last season with holding and chambers at CB I’d say

Surely given how close we were to CL qualification and the fact that we lost to Liverpool at home at the start of the season due to not having our squad sorted out, you can see why people are concerned? Even if you are right and it’s not as bad as then, it’s still a valid concern.

I was preaching patience a few weeks ago but nothing had happened since and the start of the season is looming.

5 Likes

But what fucked us up against Liverpool last season was that fact we had a thread bare defence, us not signing marez before the first game of the season will not leave us in the same risky position as us waiting to sign mustafi

Liverpool getting behind our passive midfield with ease was a bigger issue than Chambers & Holding that opening day, their youth & inexperience being used as an excuse was a bit of a cop out.

And yet we’d signed our solid CM to sure up midfeild sooner than we signed the Bosnian LB we signed this summer so that doesn’t really support he argument of how important getting everything done quickly is critical does it?

I’m being lazy here but who were the midfielders?

That’s a valid observation tbh.

The problem is that we always lack something.

1 Like

LOOOOL

He’s right in a way. They have to perform so they get a higher signing on fee for whichever club they choose to join on a free :sunglasses:

It’s certainly not an ideal situation for us though - especially as it seems the players are opting to reject us rather than it being a case of us not offering them a new contract.

2 Likes

Two of these players are important for us: Sànchez & Ox. Sincerely I’m not interested about what Wilshere or Jenko will do in the future.

3 Likes

Hahaha he should be Theresa May’s spin doctor

1 Like

Özil…