Arsène Wenger

That’s enough weed for one night pal. :smile:

I have faith in Ramsey though.

When he was played (and started) as the central midfielder, he was fantastic; even more so when we had 3 centre-backs on the pitch.

I do agree that we do need another depth signing here, but if Wilshere stays, and we sell one of Coq/Elnenny, then it is clear that Wenger thinks Ramsey is the person for this role.

We are, what, 7-8 players over what we need?

That means we need to lose most of the following:

Perez (sell - hope not) £40,000 p/w
Walcott (sell) £110,000 p/w
Wilshere (sell) £90,000 p/w
Coquelin (sell) £45,000 p/w
Szczesny (sell) £65,000 p/w
Gibbs (sell) £60,000 p/w
Debuchy (sell) £70,000 p/w
Jenkinson (sell) £45,000 p/w
Akpom (loan) £15,000 p/w

total: £540,000 p/w or £28m p/a or £84m over three years (average wage length).

Big transitions; but should free up a lot of wage space. This would allow us to add that £50-100,000 p/w for Alexis, and £50-100,000 p/w for Ozil.

1 Like

Ozil to stay and sign, while Sanchez is a big question mark. Need to buy more big players to convince him to stay, imo.

3 Likes

Chris Wheatley from Goal.com is doing an AMA on the Arsenal subreddit as he is Goal’s Arsenal correspondent.

He’s saying that Sanchez is 100% gone, but it won’t happen until after we sign his replacement, that we will only sign one more player and that it will be a winger (to replace Sanchez).

WIlshere and Arsenal can’t agree on a new contract, so likely that he leaves on a free next season.

Goal.com :gabriel::gabriel:

5 Likes

:raised_hands:

1 Like

Ugh. :laca:

So much for Jack being Arsenal through and through lol.

1 Like

He’s playing guess work but yea it’s pretty obvious Alexis is gone if we’re looking at Lemar and Mahrez. It’s obviously a replacement in typical Arsenal fashion.

I think he’s wrong on ‘only 1 more signing’. With the amount of rumoured departures, ie Alexis, Perez, Gibbs, Debuchy, Giroud, Walcott, Chamberlain - well let’s be say 4 of them go, we’ll need to sign at least 1 player just for numbers. Then there’s the fact Cazorla is likely out for the season too. That leaves us with Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, Elneny, Coquelin for 2 midfield spots and 2 of them are frequently injured. I suppose there’s enough numbers wise but quality wise?

Won’t come into Wenger’s mind, no chance we sign a midfielder unless Wenger is brave enough to play Lemar there (I wouldn’t rule it out).

I lost the count of how many bullshit Goal.com said in the recent years…

2 Likes

He also went on to say he doesn’t expect Wilsh to sign a new contract until later on in the season.

Sounds like he’s spitballing to me.

1 Like

I think we’d be very, very lucky to sell 4 players this window.

1 Like

I think Alexis, Lucas, Debuchy and Gibbs are pretty much dead set to leave, the latter 3 been given permission to find clubs. One of Everton’s coaches seemed to think they were getting Giroud who’s been linked to Marseille, Lyon and West Ham. If that happens we need another forward for raw numbers

If by typical Arsenal fashion, you mean sell a world class player and replace them with an inferior one, then I would agree.
But it does look likely Sanchez will go and hopefully Mahrez or Lemar will replace him, even if they aren’t quite his level.

As for players leaving, I doubt if more than one or two will leave, because Wenger isn’t going to buy more than two top quality players in the same window, and he has already bought Lacazette.

I fully expect most of those players to be here next season and this transfer window to be the usual bare minimum that we are used to.

1 Like

I do wonder what is up with the lack of information on any departure of players who clearly aren’t in the planning for next season and players who shouldn’t be taken into the last year of their contracts.

So Lemar or Mahrez.

With Sanchez leaving and Cazorla not looking likely to play an important part for us, we need at least two players of this quality just to keep up.

This transfer window is going to be useless if we don’t get at least two more top players, because if we weren’t good enough last season, there is no way just buying Lacazette and replacing Sanchez with Mahrez or Lemar, is going to be nearly adequate.

I really thought after the season we have just had, where it was proved beyond doubt that we don’t have nearly enough quality to challenge for a top four place, let alone the PL title, that Wenger would go all out a shake the club up.
I thought he would get rid of a lot of the high earners that aren’t good enough and get in a few real top class players.

But instead we get the striker we have waited for since RVP left, and it looks like the only other decent player coming in won’t be to play alongside Sanchez but to replace him, and I don’t trust Wenger to get a Cazorla replacement either.

I was just talking to a mate of mine who supports West Ham, and he described us perfectly, he said, you are always playing catch up with the other top clubs, and that, Wenger only buys players when he is desperate to replace your best players who are leaving.

2 Likes

Wrong thread

If Arsenal are serious about Malen they should make him third choice. Unless Arsenal bought him for the sake of buying youngsters. Which is more likely when it comes to English clubs in general.