Arsène Wenger

The invincibles wouldn’t have been champions this season. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think they would have been, because at 22-7-0 the title was won so we coasted the rest of the way.

1 Like

Well we wouldn’t have lost to Chelsea… we actually did the double over them that season so we’d have both been on 90 points with only goal difference separating us. Not sure who wins on that count though.

1 Like

Wenger told reporters after a 3-1 victory over Everton: “I think this group of players is good enough to come back.

“They have learned a lot and they have gone through difficult periods this season and they have bounced back in a very strong way.

“I think that will help them, absolutely, next season."

“But first I think we have to keep 90 per cent of these players together and find one or two more who strengthen the group but we don’t need a lot. We don’t need many. But we need maybe top quality

Come on now, don’t nitpick. I was referring to the points tally overall. You downgrade this Chelsea team to the invincible season which works in our favour because we beat them twice. If you move the invincibles to this season they wouldn’t be invincibles because we lost to Chelsea at the Bridge. You can only compare the points tally. Factor in the variety of factors that can be of influence and the argument gets ridiculous.

After 29 games, at 22-7-0, we were first on 73 points, 9 more than 2nd placed Chelsea on 64 pts.

After 29 games, at 23-3-3, Chelsea were first on 72 points, 10 more than 2nd placed Spurs on 62 pts. I guess Chelsea coasted the rest of the way too because they also had the title won after 29, otherwise they could have gotten to 100pts.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Because thats exactly what we need right now.

Great work.

1 Like

I meant to add an emoji on the end to emphasise that I wasn’t taking your point too seriously. But I didn’t. So it probably came across as ultra pedantic and nit picking lol.

1 Like

Fucking hell :joy::joy::joy::joy:

12 Likes

Let’s be fair here. He believes his future at the club should not affect the team’s performance. Of course contrary to his thinking, the media loves to bang on about it and with fans guessing whether he’s going or staying. It just fuel more of the protest from fans in order to urge him to leave and upset the team. Fans have the right to protest but I still don’t agree with the way they do it. It makes wonderful material for the press to mount even more pressure on our club.

Arsene Wenger, the team, the board and the protesting fans are all culpable for this poor season.

Anyone Stroller. Lol.

2 Likes

[quote=“Aussiegooner, post:6844, topic:125, full:true”]
“I think this group of players is good enough to come back.

“They have learned a lot and they have gone through difficult periods this season and they have bounced back in a very strong way.

“I think that will help them, absolutely, next season."

“But first I think we have to keep 90 per cent of these players together and find one or two more who strengthen the group but we don’t need a lot. We don’t need many. But we need maybe top quality
[/quote]You could take those quotes, as well as "having “mental strength” “Desire” “unity” blah blah blah, and link them to any season since we have been at the Emirates.

Wenger must think that supporters have the memory of a Goldfish, to keep coming out with them.

This is one of his biggest faults, and he is getting worse.
He says stuff that he knows isn’t true but like a child who lies, he forgets the previous lie and can’t cover his tracks.

3 Likes

It really is Don Quixote at this point… I assume he actually believes this stuff to a degree… it is sad. He is stuck and doesn’t know which way to turn. Always a move or two short and clearly past it in terms of modern tactics and man management.

1 Like

On the other hand, without how miserable the fan base has been, I’m 99% sure Wenger signs an extension before today and nothing at all changes.

There wouldn’t be any expectation for him to leave and no media backlash, it’s these fan protests, booing, abusing players that has even made it a plausible outcome.

Basically if he walks this summer I’m certain it’ll be because of the abuse, not because he’s acknowledged he’s past it football wise. It’s not pretty, in fact it’s basically bullying but people have had enough.

4 Likes

Yep - they read the fan base incorrectly and thought that they could continue with the old models but with a spending boost and somehow things could improve (or at least stay the same)… the reality is that we are getting passed… last year Spurs really should have finished above us and had surpassed us… This year it was Liverpool and City and Utd started to get more functional, plus Chelsea found their level again.

I have predicted he will stay 2 more years for a long, long time, but it is 100% correct imho that the only plausible scenario for him leaving is that the pressure from fans and anger gets too much and he calls it a day end of next season instead of staying 2. This year it is too late.

1 Like

I like how they made sure to animate those herpes on Klopps face :joy:

Exactly right. The sad thing is that the only way for him to leave will be by dragging us down so far that his position becomes completely unsustainable. Which is exactly what I expect to happen in the next year or two.

Imagine that you’re in charge of marketing at the club and the board comes to you and says, “Alright, lets come up with an optimistic message to convince the fans that we’re going to challenge for the league next season while keeping Wenger and losing our best player?” What the fuck would you even say?

1 Like

The problem Wenger, or anyone marketing the club has, is convincing supporters that this group of players is good enough, even without our best players.

Our first team is full of experienced players, there are no players with loads of potential.
This is as good as it’s going to get, and Wenger can’t fall back on that excuse like he has many times before.
He can’t even use the excuse that we had loads of injuries, because we had as many as most other clubs.

He has built this team, over several seasons, he has coached them using his tactics and he has had far longer than all the other managers of the teams that finished above him.
He is the person that has persisted with the same players and who chose not to strengthen in key positions.

If we lose Ozil or Sanchez or both, he will have only himself to blame.

I really don’t know if Wenger can get talk his way out of this mess.
But I’m sure he will try his best.

2 Likes

Let’s see if he can go past the playoffs though :wenger:

You mentioned we have no young players with loads of potential, however i’d argue Iwobi, Bellerin, Holding absolutely fit that bill. Renie-Adelade and Chambers to a lesser extent.

Furthermore, our academy, while not setting the world alight, still holds players with an abundance of potential. Stand out names for me (and my admittedly limited knowledge) would be Willock, Maitland-Niles, Crowley, Zelalem, Nwakali (!) but the real cream of the crop is Donyell Malen.

Obviously many will fail to meet expectations and wont break through, but we really do have many reasons to get excited about.

I suppose what we lack are players of Bellerins age, level and potential, but in a world where potential now gets a pricetag as much as if not more than established talent, id say we are doing alright!

@AbouCuellar are you still following the academy? If so care to weigh in?

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/