Arsène Wenger

Hopefully, we win the Cup against Chelsea, and Wenger resigns amongst a cheering Arsenal fan base.

2 Likes

Win or lose, a final like this is probably the best moment to say goodbye anyway. Obviously a win would be the ideal scenario.

3 Likes

Totally agree @JakeyBoy! I’m hoping we win the Cup and he goes out on a high. Hopefully then my not so warm feelings towards him will fade away.

1 Like

Who knew that some tactical flexibility could be useful in football?

1 Like

Whatever we say about the man, how much ever we criticise him, no matter how badly we want him out of our club, we will always love him and want the best for him because at the end of the day, he is one of us.

That is uncalled for. You can hate him all you want but that doesn’t mean you cannot appreciate him when he gets it right. Can’t live life with so much bitterness man. I haven’t changed my mind about him but I salute his and his team’s performance yesterday.

Lol I know, I was being sarcastic. When we lose a match, Arsene usually tows the company line, and then he gets criticized for it. However based upon those comments he’s Arsenal through and through, he just wants the club to be successful.

1 Like

Mental strength!

I honestly relish the idea of playing in the Europa League right now.

1 Like

It’ll be alright for one season, I suppose. Or am I capitulating at the thin edge of the wedge?:facepalm:

Win the cup and win some love back. But thats your lot. Great way to go and re focus us.

I still feel like our midfield, the most important area of the pitch imo, is still exposed in how we are currently playing. Adding another body there would have made a little bit more sense. But at least he tries something.

It reads like the most boring press conference imaginable. Not a single interesting question or answer.

2 Likes

All his interviews are like that :smiley: I kind of like it. Giving the press so little to write about.

1 Like

Good thread.

16 Likes

This tiny part is patently nonsense, surely? If we sold Perez, Welbeck and Giroud it would quite obviously have a big impact on our squad depth. We’d be reduced to Sanchez and Walcott for the striking role, neither of whom are actually strikers.

Overall that is an interesting post you’ve quoted and it’s mostly right. With the Chelsea comparison it leaves out some mitigating factors. Of course we have a greater net spend than Chelsea, because we are now playing catch up with them trying to spend our relatively new wealth to catch up. L surely its reductive to ignore the rates they’ve been spending at for over ten years now? I have no doubt that bad decisions made in the transfer market have lead to us making fuck all in player sales, but it is also somewhat symbolic of the level of players we were buying some years ago. Whilst we were buying budget, stop gap players to replace outgoing top class players due to financial restrictions they could casually spend £25m on several players like Oscar, who then have a tangible resale value in a few years time whereas the players we’d bought are old and on the scrapheap by now.

Not gonna make excuses for everything as yhe club have absolutely been poor in the market, I wouldn’t disagree. But I think we have to at least acknowledge some of the other factors that contribute towards the difference in net spend.

Also with regards to our wage bill being higher than City’s, can anyone confirm the whispers we occasionally hear about our reported wage bill covering the salaries of more staff than other clubs reported figures do? I seem to remember hearing that ours include non playing staff whereas other teams don’t.

I would be pretty shocked if our wage bill was genuinely bigger than City’s.

2 Likes

I think what @Burgundy posted illustrates exactly where Wenger has gone wrong in recent seasons.
It highlights that Wenger has built a team of experienced Europa League players.

He has bought some decent players, including a couple of world class ones, but has kept long serving players like Walcott, Chamberlain, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Debuchy, Giroud, Ramsey etc, who’s talent is not matched by their world class wages or the fact they are constant first team regulars.

Apart from Ozil and Sanchez, the other players he has bought recently, Welbeck, Jenkinson, Perez, Gabriel, Elneny, Xhaka and Mustafa are good, but not more than adequate for a top European club.

I wonder if Wenger regrets the transfer window where he only signed a GK, which cost us winning the PL title, and the last window, where he again didn’t get a world class striker.

Wenger must be the only manager in football that doesn’t spend, even though he has supposedly on of the biggest transfer budgets in Europe.

His constant dithering and reliance on under performing players, has not only cost him the PL title, it will also cost him our place in the CL.
It will could also cost him the only two world class players he has, Ozil and Sanchez.
We also know that next season Walcott, Giroud, Chamberlain, Welbeck, Ramsey etc will all be in and around the starting line up, even if they have proved they aren’t good enough to win the top trophies.

Every other top club buys world class players in the important positions, when it’s obvious that what they have is not good enough.
Why doesn’t Wenger?

Embarrassing from Wenger yet again.

3 Likes

This is why we could win every match the rest of the season 4-0, somehow finish above Spurs after they collapse again, then crush Chelsea 8-0 in the FA Cup and it still would be a huge mistake to give Wenger another contract. The club is disfunctional and it won’t improve while he remains.

4 Likes