Arsène Wenger

What loans and agreements are you referring to specifically? What benefit is Kroenke getting in the above example? If the net effect is the same, why go through the trouble (and the legal risk) of making a bad deal wrt Arsenal in order to get a better deal somewhere else that is a wash? And if it isn’t a wash, why would both parties agree?

I think we have moved beyond fact to wild speculation at this point… if he was really fleecing us, there are way better ways to do so.

You are talking without facts… and in comparison to what the Glazer’s did, he has done nothing remotely impactful of our finances. He hasn’t run his franchises into the ground and if you don’t understand they are not comparable due to the rules of US sport, then you may need to evaluate who is thick… plus, what the f*ck does that have to do with Arsenal?

He has better ways to make money than own AFC - anyone who understands basic compound interest and opportunity cost can see this.

The benefit he gets iis a huge business asset that he wouldn’t otherwise own without using others assets, ie us and our cash reserves, to back up said debt.

1 Like

There are better uses of the money period… he had to buy the assets in the first place - he hasn’t done that through massive leverage like the Glazers… he isn’t getting cashflow from it… he would have better return AND cashflow from other investments - LOTS of other investments… FFS your average hedge fund is better investment.

We don’t know the facts. The only facts we know is Gazidis has stated numerous times that the cash reserves aren’t available to be spent. So why not?

And yes his US franchises have gone to shit since he took over them and he’s moved teams and fucked over season ticket holders refusing to refund them despite the teams moves. He’s bought land and forced old residents out of their homes. He’s the epitome of corporate evil and quite obviously doesn’t give 2 shits about AFC other than the profits/revenues we can facilitate him.

When Kroenke dies it’ll be a happy day

United invest, we do not

I really want to live in a world in which 250+ million pounds in 3.5 years is no serious money.

It’s not United levels but the amount invested in transfers in recent seasons is not insignificant when the last players we sold for a fee worth a fuck was Vermaelen (and even then it was only 15m euros or something like that). Lots outgoing and nothing coming in. We spent the about 100m in 14/15, Wenger chose not to invest in 15/16 apart from 25m-ish on Cech and Gabriel and then this summer we spent the best part of 100m.

Just my opinion but I don’t think you can say that 225m or so is not investing, especially when in one of the three summer windows Wenger chose not to spend more. Well, of course you can say that but I wouldn’t personally.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t these discussions be taking place in the silent Stan thread ?

Except I’m not sure that would be legit to do with a company you own 67% as opposed to doing with a company you own outright. As we’ve seen with the Glazers at man u there are clear distinctions between what owners can do when they own as opposed to being the majority shareholder. He didn’t need any cash in the bank to get 400m plus in loans to buy Arsenal shares because the value of the asset he was buying was clear enough. I’m guessing the same will apply to his farm or his stadium in LA. So yea you’re painting a way he could use the money (we disagree on the legitness of it but let’s just say neither of us know the score fully there) but he has no reason to do so and the banks have no reason to ask him to do so. If he doesn’t repay they’ll take the much more valuable asset, not the cash.

You’re being selective now. He’s only ever said that part of the reserves can’t be spent. And the only legit reason ever provided for that is a lean on approx 1-2 years stadium debt repayments so 30m or so max.

I thought we didn’t spend between 08-12, because of the stadium debt. Or so I was told by Wenger adepts.

1 Like

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2016/10/04/tracking-the-impact-of-arsenals-move-to-emirates-stadium-ten-years-on-was-it-worth-it/amp/

The stadium move was the right move. But because of the Sheikh takeover at Man City and the fact we had to settle for long term sponsordeals with Emirates and Nike back then make it seem we missed the boat a little bit. Whilst United signed shorter contracts and already got 80m/4 years back in 2010 with AON, Arsenal still needed to wait to negotiate. Hence the improvement might not seem that huge as it was supposed too.

1 Like

There is an Arsenal finances thread.

1 Like

Back on track… FOW
You have no right to decide when youll leave fuck your legacy its ruined… The reason you didnt take other jobs was not because of loyalty it was because you had no bottle to take on a club that wants to win at all costs…
C’est la vie

When you think back Ash. This is the man who gave us Silvestre, sender’s, dojo when we needed a defenders.
Chamack when we needed a striker.
Cast off Le coq and flamini when we needed midfielders.
The list goes on and on.
Now all he will do is go into the market big time and buy us the striker we have needed for years.
The defenders we’ve needed for years.
The defensive midfielders ee’ve needed for years.
And then he’ll mismanage everything again and get sacked. Yippeeee!!!
Tic tac tacticless Wenger will bite the dust. LmAO.

1 Like

Super Sanogo

1 Like

I’m reading some reports about Bakayoko turning Wenger down. I don’t know if it’s reliable, but the two arguments often used in Wenger’s defence these days (ability to get top four and his pull on players) seem debatable too.

2 Likes

I think wengers turning into Bob Monkhouse…with that smarmy all knowing grin… You know you want to…

1 Like

I can’t really see what pull he’d have on international under 25s these days anyway. Finishing top 4 consistently means nothing to a player, maybe the last 1 or 2 would count for something. But we suck in Europe and nobody really cares who won the domestic cup in any top league 2 years ago. You might go Wenger, I’ve heard of him but I doubt anyone really looks at him and sees a genius that you’re desperate to play for.

We haven’t even had a good French player since who? I’m struggling to remember any since Henry who has been gone a decade. Sagna? Kos? maybe but they’ve never been international stars consistently.

Wenger is just another coach these days. Nothing wrong with that as pretty much everyone else is too but there’s no point trying to pretend he holds much sway with anyone. He might be liked by some people but I doubt very much he’s still got a “big reputation in Europe” like some would have you believe (Im happy to be shot down by Europeans who can dispute it though)

4 Likes