Arsène Wenger

D - Swiss Ramble Already debunked the idea that Arsenal’s cash reserves is being retained for no reason. Large % of the money has already been account for with a small amount available for transfers. Arsenal have spent heavily over the last few season without relying on outgoings as a form of income.

E - Only one obscure Journalist has ever claimed this, Matt Scott, a guy whose obviously got a massive chip on his shoulder a regularly baits Arsenal fans with nothing but bad news.

No mainstream UK Journalist picked up on that story, not even the tabloids. What does that tell you? Now he’s heard Wenger’s signed a new deal? How would he have access to that information? Literally the only reason why he’s even remotely relevant is because of his Arenal related tweets. The man is a BS merchant

3 Likes

He did no such thing.

In other words, there is still substantial money available to spend. It’s clearly not as much as the £226 million in the books

Yeah but it doesn’t clarify WHO is truly limiting spending… Is the issue AW doesn’t seem to rate anyone above the squad unless they are unreachable?

I think the assumption that AW is being significantly limited by the board in the last 3 years is just that, an assumption. We don’t really know 100% what is going on. My sense is that AW has left money on the table, but to be fair, that is equally an assumption.

1 Like

Arsenes MO:

No quality in the market (doesnt buy)
he buys ‘quality’ which are projects which never comes to fruition or puts square pegs in round holes
quality in the market gets sold sometimes at a cheaper price than who he buys ‘we almost signed’ or ‘we couldnt afford’

2 Likes

Quality to Wenger is a guy that can make a jaw dropping against the grain cut back pass twice a year.

D - Agreed, which makes the natural conclusion why, how is it invested and what is it leveraged against in terms of borrowing. The best case scenario is that it is merely leveraged against stadium debt to reduce

E - https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2016/02/09/stan-kroenke-buys-massive-texas-ranch-listed-for-725-million/#5f4dff9e767c

Businessmen do often raise finances by borrowing against their other business assets. All of Kroenke’s other franchises have plummeted as sporting entities since he took over them.

Not sure what E has to do with anything. He hasn’t burdened AFC in any way with his other financial dealings - at least not that I have seen from any reputable source. Rich people all have loans b/c it is easier than liquidating assets - of course their other assets enter the equation b/c it is context for the lender… not really sure what you point you are trying to make since there is no evidence he has hampered AFC financially beyond our traditional “self-sustaining” model.

And the point about his other teams - not sure how they are relevant either since he is a “hands off” owner - none of those teams are hamstrung by resources because the leagues in the US have salary caps - it is completely different situation and don’t even get me started on the NBA. Plenty of “activist” owners who are an embarrassment b/c they make things worse in the US.

Not saying I particular care one way or another about Stan, I just don’t get the hate directed at him OTHER than the fact that he lacks the conviction and balls to fire a living AFC legend.

1 Like

Good for him. That cash raising has nothing to do with Arsenal or our cash reserves.Some of the cash reserves are leveraged, most are not! Anything that is leveraged is to do with the business of Arsenal FC.

Sure he could issue dividends but considering 30% of those would go to Usmanov i don’t think that’s gonna happen. Plus it would probably devalue the shares he does have.

KSE doesn’t own Arsenals cash reserves, Arsenal does. As Arsenals majority shareholder they have quite some say in what happens to those reserves but they don’t own them. Unless they take them as a dividend, which, again i see as quite unlikely.

3 Likes

Whilst I agree it’s not indisputable Wenger would have done better with Dein, I don’t think the influence of should a figure can a underestimated.

You point out the emergence of the financiel forces; I think one of the reasons he backed kroenke/usmanov was exactly because of that. It’s speculation, obviously, but he maybe foresaw our coming struggels. His son also is a football agent. I reckon between father and son there would have been an extensive football network. Could have made it easier for us to acquire targets or even keep Arsenal players he was representing.

He didn’t prove anything at another club, but two managers we had were very succesful whilst he was overseeing things at Arsenal.

Those type of figures do create an environment for managers to be succesful in. But yeah and the end of the day Wenger has nobody to blame but himself.

1 Like

[quote]Wenger said: "I’m convinced, maybe because I’m French, but at the moment the best players in the world are in France.

"When you put yourself today in Deschamps’ place it’s a nightmare to select the first 20 best … and [then the] XI best – that is not a problem we have at the moment in Spain.[/quote]

Why don’t we see any of those players in Arsenal colours, Wenger?!

1 Like

It’s ironic that Wenger is well known for not giving long contracts to players over thirty, and rarely buys anyone over that age, because they are considered over the hill and not worth the money, yet doesn’t consider himself too old or not worth the 8m we pay him every season.

I wonder how long he would stay if the supporters never put him under any pressure, because the board certainly don’t.

1 Like

Why would you say that to someone you don’t know.
What does " f**k off then"actually mean?

1 Like

So go and get them.

I’m right beside you there LenG
I’ve never hated an Arsenal manager like i do Wenger . Like you we’ve seen some baron trophyless years .
I couldn’t give two fucks now if i watch them or not . I’ve never been like that EVER .

You misunderstand, no he obviously hasn’t and can’t directly use Arsenal cash reserves. But that doesn’t mean a cash rich Arsenal isn’t more attractive to lenders when Kroenke secures loans against KSE as a security.

He can also do a deal with a bank to get a loan for his farming enterprise while banking Arsenal funds at said bank and agreeing to keep X amount of Arsenal funds there for the period of the loan. Essentially funelling Arsenal funds into other businesses while technically Arsenal ‘own those cash reserves’ that tjhey can never be used. So yes essentially Kroenke can spend Arsenal’s cash reserves on his empire while it technically remains on Arsenal’s balance sheet.

You’re just completely and utterly making shit up now. The only way he can use that cash for anything is if he takes it a dividend. Otherwise it belongs to Arsenal PLC, not it’s majority shareholder.

No one is going to give him money on the basis of some cash one of his companies have in the bank, they will give him money based on the shares of that company he owns which are worth a few times the amount of cash being talked about anyway.

1 Like

I disagree that he hasn’t burdened us. Since he’s been on the board our purse strings have been closed. The ‘self sustaining model’ wasn’t a thing in the 90s, we were one of the largest spenders and investors. We also aren’t ‘self sustaining’ because we can’t spend ‘our money’. He blatantly spends our money on his companies ‘services’. He gives his son a job on the board as an act of nepotism. Who knows what he’s doing behind the scenes that we don’t know about.

I’ve just told you a legit way he can use Arsenal’s cash without taking a dividend. And yes, every bank in the world would agree to the following:

Can you give me a £200m loan at 5% for my business venture if I agree to bank £200m of one of my other companies with you with 4% interest rates? That’s a cool £2m a year for doing fuck all. Alongside collateral of a cash rich business it’s a no brainer and he’d likely get loans much higher than 200m off the back of a deal of that nature.

He paid his consulting company a couple million for services, which is normal - if you know you have competent people to do proper jobs, why not bring them in to help… FFS you are looking for reasons and even speculating/making up ones… he has done nothing remotely burdening… and you are asserting we were losing money in the 90’s? Or what are you arguing exactly?

Really, you don’t like him and i get it… but you are massively exaggerating his negative influence (if there actually is any) on our actual operating finances.

He paid his company a few million for doing sweet FA. We haven’t invested any serious money since he’s been on our board, he’s run all his other sports franchises into the shit and now we’re being run into the shit. If you can’t joing the dots there I dont know what to say

2 Likes