Arsène Wenger

I liked Edu too. I remember being at Highbury for his last game and the more obvious candidates letting him take a penalty we got. Him scoring and saying goodbye to the fans was a very nice moment, there was a lot of warmth towards him from the Clock End as he celebrated in front of us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bergkamp extended his contract around Christmas 2000, somewhat unlikely that he was going to be shipped off to Fulham just a year later hah. Not having that sorry

Also you’ve taken that off a Fulham fanzine site I notice.

A lot can happen in 6 months. It doesn’t sound 100% improbable with Wiltord coming in 2000 and Wenger going for a Henry/Wiltord partnership replacing a lot of the first ‘old’ guard in his tenure (Overmars etc.). I know Wiltord played games for Arsenal as a winger, but he was a forward I think.

“He signed a two-year extension to his contract a few months ago and I didn’t let him do that to sell him now,” said Wenger.

“Fulham showed some interest and probably wanted to sign him but I told Dennis this and he didn’t want to go, as much as I didn’t want to let him go.”

Maybe I was too quick to accept what Drayton had to say haha

1 Like

Basically all this says is that they disagreed sometimes. No ill will on either side.

I do remember hearing rumours about a move to Fulham in 2005 but then he retired.

I think we all expect Wenger to get another extension no matter what…
It is actually not much to talk about (him) till he get us a league title, sign another WC player (or sell one), or retire/get fired.

Yep - pretty much the Wenger-tory that we are in… never too high, never too low.

1 Like

The word I prefer to use is “numb”

I don’t know if this is sad or not. I just start feeling nothing.

Trust me Wenger did a volte face on this one and was very very embarrased by it by Berkamp himself who forced him into a climb down .
Fulham were left very confused because they had agreed the fee ,knew the wage structure and were led to beleive the player wanted out .
Problem was no-one told Dennis and when wenger told him he flatly refused to even consider it ,

So because other teams do it we should do it to? Why are we only taking this mindset with the teams that fail? Chelsea and Manure have won the CL maybe we should try to emulate them in terms of what and how often they win instead of emulating Liverpool and how often they don’t.

2 Likes

Where did i say that…i said that there are lots of big teams that have droughts it seemingly goes in cycles, look at Manu now, the amount of money etc they have and also how much they have spent and supposedly have one of the best managers in the world but cannot get past 6th and that is with 7-8 goals they were rewards whilst been offside which if they were not awarded they would be around 12th. Mancity yet again one of the so called best managers in the world but yet they are struggling. It happens, am I happy about the drought NO, but who knows we could go get rid of Wenger install a new manager tactics etc and end up WORSE…you cannot guarantee ANYTHING in football.

Your fucking mad if you believe any of his little story’s he heard from some bloke round he back of arsenal car park that he claims to be 100% certified fact

It’s true, there are no guarantee"s.
But one thing you can guarantee is that if you keep repeating the same mistakes, with the same people running the club, and the outcome is the same, doing nothing isn’t going to change anything.

Liverpool haven’t won the PL but they have won the CL and got to a CL final but they have not just stood by and watched the same mistakes being repeated, they have made changes.

We need a big shake up to stop us from stagnating any further, and I don’t know that Wenger has got it in him to do it.

1 Like

@Maverick79

It is like putting “The Maze Runner” into reality, into an Arsenal version…

Some don’t want to change, afraid to change
Some want to change, to risk

No right or wrong, it is just a matter of choice.

Theres a sort of irony in you repeating this fucking paragraph.

As you said, nothing will change, we all know what your stance is. So give it a rest?

[quote=“Oliver, post:3031, topic:125, full:true”]

Theres a sort of irony in you repeating this fucking paragraph.

As you said, nothing will change, we all know what your stance is. So give it a rest?
[/quote]Oh sorry.
I didn’t realise that you made the rules up on this forum.
Please accept my humble apology and keep up the good work supporting Wenger, while putting down anyone who doesn’t agree with your views.

1 Like

Wow, asking you to take your own advice really struck a nerve didn’t it? :smile:

If your own words upset you, it might be time to go to bed.

If the price to pay to keep Alexis and Mesut is Wenger to sign a new contract i am gonna accept it. These two are too important for us.

There you go again. “end up WORSE”. That’s how the whiny Wenger fundamentalists talk.

2 Likes