Arsène Wenger

^ this.

Tell RVP about this BS.

2 Likes

And/or Henry who left to go to Barca because he wanted to win the CL.

2 Likes

Mentally strong…Tony Adams
Brave, physically strong, mentally strong, inspirational.
Does what it takes to win, respected by players and supporters

Mentally weak…Theo Walcott
Not brave, physically weak, mentally weak.
Does what it takes to get his next big contract.
Respected by ?

When we were winning trophies most of the team was made up of players like Adams, Keown, Vieira, Henry, Lauren, Bergkamp etc.
That is why we won so many trophies.

5 Likes

Sorry, I don’t follow Arsenal long enough.

Back in those invincible days, did Wenger praise Adams/Keown’s mental strength openly and repeatedly?

1 Like

Exactly.
He didn’t have to.

Mine was really a question… :slight_smile:

So I assume your answer is “no”… because he did not have to, correct?

I suspect he would have if those teams had come from three goals down mind. Not that I agree with his latest assertion of mental strength.

My friend. I am really really sorry to have to nit pick one of your posts again. But Tony Adams has lived a life of alcohol abuse. Mental strength certainly isnt his forte.

On a pitch obviously he was the man, i think his story of holding Ray Parlour (?) against a wall by the throat before a tottenham game has always resonated with me. He is EXACTLY what any football club would want in their ranks. Desire to win and the ability to facilitate that desire.

But mental strength? Im not entirely sure he captures what it really is. As for who does, fuck knows, we could probably nit pick any name tbh. In which case just ignore me.

True story before I heard Wenger say it I didn’t have a clue what Mental Strength was.

Wengers Book should be called Mental Strength and Little Bit Handbrake two words I will forever associate him with :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I think the idea is mental strength relative to football… Michael Jordan was one of the most competitive and strongest mentally athletes in the world and he is basically a gambling addict… John Terry didn’t have enough discipline not to sleep with his teammates wife…

I do think that sometimes this whole issue is overstated - it takes a LOT to get to the top level, even if you have immense natural talent… but I definitely think there is still significant difference in the competitiveness, drive, and mental characteristics (maybe generically mental strength is just a bad term) between players even at the level of the Premier League.

2 Likes

I don’t remember Wenger talking about mental toughness, although he did used to mention the word qualitee rather a lot :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah upon reflection i think we need to try and understand what Wengers definition of mental stength actually means.

Obviously he means it in footballing terms only, so what i said above should quite rightly be dismissed. @InvincibleDB10 thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks, and that proves mine and some other’s point.
When you have it, you don’t need to say it.

To be fair to Adams I think he did kick the habit, which was probably quite difficult.

I used to watch him when he first played for us, and he was still a teenager, and what he lacked in skill, he made up with bravery and leadership qualities.

I don’t think we have any more players like that than any other team, but what is annoying is that Wenger mentions it after almost every game, when clearly it isn’t true.

I would imagine that most players have a winning attitude, otherwise they wouldn’t have got to where they are.
But from a supporters perspective it’s nice to see a player wearing the shirt of the team you support caring as much as you do, even if they are only doing it for themselves.

1 Like

Bold Prediction: Sanchez will not sign a new deal and he will be in Blue Manchester. We will have more money and are less likely to pull a Leeds/Portsmouth/Rangers so everybody get stoked! The club will be saved from the brink of bankruptcy once again! yay!

2 Likes

Maybe we gave Alexis the spill about how we couldn’t compete due to financial restrictions due to the stadium but that has now changed e.g. signing Ozil 12 months earlier. But now he has been busting his balls for 3 seasons and we are no closer to challenging in England or Europe so I dare say he’s now realised whats really going on.

I doubt those type of things even enter the discussion in transfer negotiations to be honest.

Yeah Unlikely obviously I’m just speculating. I think this upcoming deal is a more important one for Alexis though as he’s now 28 not 25 and he’s also even a more highly regarded player now than he was back them so I expect a lot of interest. Personally I think he would be a 1st 11 player at any club in the world not named Barcelona.

2 Likes

Forget our opponents, point tallys and what position we finished in or whether our manager can hack it.

How do you think our team at the moment compares to our team the season before Ozil joined?

Man for man I think we have improved tremendously. We certainly have a way to go, but we are getting stronger with every passing year, and i still genuinely believe that any player in the world would welcome the opportunity to be here.

Alexis is a winner, a fighter and dare i say it a leader. I think having top dog status at Arsenal is exactly what he wants.

For all we know he has said he will sign if wenger leaves :smile: