Arsène Wenger

The current goal difference system is fine. In our scenario PSG have been rewarded for showing better offensive intent at an away ground. That fits into the ethos of why the away goal rule was introduced in the first place

1 Like

Yeah preponderance of evidence and Occam’s Razor…

I love Wenger but have not even the slightest fear of the day he is gone - frankly, at this point I can’t wait for it, which is a tragedy in of itself. Like ACuellar, I was a staunch defender of Wenger for a long, long time and fully acknowledge all the caveats to any failings, but I am ready for Arsenal’s next chapter.

12 Likes

Tbh sooner we get Rafa in the better.

FACHT! :wilshere:

Yep me too. It’s a shame because if Wenger had left end of last season I think I would have felt genuinely sad and sentimental, but now I think I would just feel relief. Watching us flounder against United left me convinced that he’s properly out of ideas. Thankfully I missed the PSG game.

2 Likes

I would say, when you can’t lift the league trophy, FA Cup is the next best trophy you can get.
But if you are an ambitious club, AFTER winning the FA Cup, the league and the CL should be the next target, retaining the FA Cup is just NOT ENOUGH.

4 Likes

And while a big honor, it is based off of what? 7 games? Of which 2-3 are against Premier League opposition? And maybe 1 or 2 max top 4 challengers? It is too much of a crapshoot with single leg matches too.

The league should always be the measuring stick of where we are as a club - 38 games, home and away.

CL is obviously a huge honor as well and requires getting in (an achievement that AW deserves tons of credit for - the streak of always qualifying is damn impressive). It also requires group competition and then 2 leg round of 16 and beyond. And it has the very best teams to get through by the round of 16 and beyond. Add to that NOBODY denigrates the competition in favor of other things (which sometimes our competition does in the FA Cup to be honest).

While FA Cup is a nice honor, it is simply not even on the same order of magnitude as the league or even CL in terms of how you measure yourself as a team. Since 2007, Chelsea has won it FOUR times, but you don’t really hear them banging on about it b/c they have league titles and CL honors. FFS Wigan and Portsmouth won it in the last 8 years too.

Even if we assume that every team takes the FA Cup as seriously as their top competition, it simply doesn’t represent enough games nor enough games against top teams (maybe 2?) to show the measure of a team.

I still cheer like a madman when we are in it and hope we lift the cup every year, but let’s not kid ourselves - we went back to 72 points last year and lost out to Leicester City when every other big team had a down year and lifting the FA Cup doesn’t somehow make me think we are way better than that.

2 Likes

No one is suggesting an FA Cup should be prioritised over the league or champions league.

However it’s still an important and prestigeous competition that (last year at least) 736 teams entered, of which only one team won.

In competitive sports, every competition and every opportunity for silverware especially is important.

We don’t go into league cup games with the intention of bragging to Bayern Munich about it one day, but it’s still a trophy that teams put a lot of time, money and effort into winning because they hold an element of value and significance domestically.

We are all keen for domination and success but that won’t come around any quicker by the fanbase diminishing the value of anything that isn’t the BPL / CL.

It has nothing the f*ck to do with prioritization, it is 6-7 games, 2-3 against top competition on average. It isn’t in the same conversation in terms of “level of commitment” - the point is more about how you measure yourself. And using FA Cup as a proper measuring stick compared to League or CL is ridiculous, regardless of the fact that it is still a big honor.

1 Like

Okay… ???

FA Cup is the highlight of over a decades worth of football as if we’re fucking Wigan athletic.

It’s cool though 'cause it’s progress right?

1 Like

Yes, that is pretty much my point. FA Cup is a big honor, but it is NOT a measuring stick at all in comparison to League or CL. However, until we won that second FA Cup last year, we had exactly as many big trophies as Wigan and Portsmouth in the last decade.

:grinning:

1 Like

wtf does this even mean lol?

Trion struggling with sarcasm/logic/analogies. The saga is really growing.

Also, attempts to make the complaints/gripes out to be unjustified/tiresome moaning is so desperate, it’s much more of a pre-programmed response than the stuff it’s aimed at, it’s just as boring and tedious, honestly, as the shit that would drive me crazy back in 2012, like, ‘Wenger won’t ever spend more than X amount’, etc.

We’re getting shat on, our football is shit, it’s evidently incoherent, our manager’s lack of quality and sometimes ineptitude is frustratingly and depressingly obvious to all but you and a couple others, those of us who loved the man and who aren’t as rare a combination of stubbornness and delusion as Brady are forced to watch him making his legacy and ultimate exit look worse and worse with every passing season and day, and there’s really no end in sight, because being realistic Wenger is not leaving soon and the board is not forcing him out. On top of it all we have to watch a genius like Özil waste the best years of his career. Wake up, bud.

2 Likes

It is so simple I am surprised you didn’t get it.

Ask Burgundy to sit you down and explain it to you.

1 Like

lol how many times you gonna go to that well (which wasn’t even a joke you yourself thought of haha)

So let’s see:

gf= wenger

I’m guessing being on her period (happens once a month ;)) refers to the last 13 years without a title… that makes a lot of logical sense…

The sex is what exactly?

Yeah, that analogy is about as inane as manager’s tactics.

Also, imagine being Trion and saying this to someone else :joy:

Wenger and Xhaka threads were worth the read just now, you’ve come up with some absolute gems Trion buddy.

I am not Burgundy.

That you are not.

Sigh

Wenger is sex bitch.
Wenger is sex.

What is further proof of that is you can’t entice top quality players to your club because you won the FA cup. Whilst the FA cup is nice to win as you have said the true measuring stick of any “top club” is the CL and your domestic league.

I won’t disagree, pal