Arsenal vs Southampton (Premier League)

We were shit, didn’t deserve the win but neither did S’oton. I’ll definitely take it though.

Wenger and the team need to shape up immediately though because this was not a good display. Some good individual displays though.

3 Likes

The wrong XI (Lucas Perez, a counterattack player for a home game when the opponents play with the bus in front of the goal) has conditioned the game.

We played badly, slowly, a midfield dominated by Oriol Romeu, lack of organization on attack and with a problem on the left because of Oxlade didn’t helped a confused Nacho Monreal.

My thumbs go down for the former Malaga left back, for Arsène and our midfielder, for Ozil, for Oxlade and for a Lucas not ready to play an hard game like this, with not much space to show his qualities.

Koscielny and Mustafi (apart one or two errors) have impressed me, hard work by Theo Walcott and Alexis, brilliant Giroud when he came off from the bench.

Some good individual performances and the three points are the things good to take.

1 Like

Well they say if you cant be good be lucky . We were very lucky .take the three points all day long but they wont get away with that very often.

About time we get a bailout when we play a lackluster match. Happens to united almost every week.

Mesut spitting truth bombs all over twitter.

3 Likes

Pretty obvious to me, as Giroud has gone around his defender, he “will” win the ball in that situation and as for the pulling, in the vid you can see Giroud has half the bloody emirates logo in his armpit when Fonte finally lets go. The refs got it right there, and we were lucky in a sense but if Giroud hadn’t been in the position where he “would” win the ball the shirt pull would’ve probably never happened either so… to some degree we made our luck in the last minutes.

Tactically Fonte should’ve probably just let Giroud get the ball and go for the finish, couldn’t possibly be worse than Cazorla taking a pen lol

Didn’t get to see until after 60th minute. Watching the rerun now. Lucky 3 points indeed! But I’ll take them any day.

Oh right, I missed that. But ignoring that issue, looking at just the incident between Fonte and giroud in isolation, would you have given a penalty?

That’s not just the set-up and picking for Perez, mate. Arsenal, these days, are 8/9 of out 10 times slow and lacklustre and just bad at creating chances. Sounds more like a typical Arsenal performance of the last few seasons.

1 Like

It’s Long’s own fault for going down and grabbing his face like he’d been punched by mike tyson, if he’d have just reacted like a normal non cunt of a human maybe things would have turned out differently.

Going by the way refs have been judging these situations so far this season, it was a penalty, but i’m not a big fan. The bigger issue was though that he didn’t stop play and he’ll definitely have to explain that to the higher ups.

1 Like

It’s always a penalty. The refs are just clamping down on what is an obvious violation in the box. Ripping the shirt of a strikers back the defender has no one to blame but himself, officiating ineptitude in the past surely isn’t any sort of validation to do it.

If any of our defenders do it and get caught out I’ll feel the same way.

You don’t need a map to tell you the striker is going to struggle when Theo and Ox are your wingers. Though while I thought Mustafi was a little shaky today he doesn’t shy away from a difficult pass to the midfield and that could be a great asset for us.

Yeh, Theo and Ox should never be on opposite wings (Ox should never be on the pitch period, but can only say it so many times). Unfortunately, we’ve basically got 4 options for 2 wings, including Ox, 5 if you include Lucas. So this wing combination that should never repeat no doubt will at least once or twice more this season, again, because of poor squad management/planning.

1 Like

You put Lucas on the wing which might be a fair move but that leaves Giroud up top who himself is hardly a titan of the industry.

It really annoys me that we could have made some substantial moves this summer to challenge but once more we come up short. I’ll never understand why Wenger is unwilling to go that little bit further in the transfer market to complete a squad.

1 Like

We were never going to get all the business done this summer needed to give us the kind of squad that could cover up Wenger’s defects. We just did the bare minimum really. We needed to sell Ramsey, Ox, Gibbs, Debuchy, and find replacements ideally for all of them, as well (not all of those replacements had to come from outside, of course, but you know where I’m going with that ;)), and likely find a striker better than Lucas (we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now). We haven’t even watched what happens when Monreal or Bellerín aren’t available.

I’m not sure his defects can be covered up but I think one more signing may have helped us out. We were crying out for a signing like Mkhitaryan or Mahrez and both were obviously available. That would have made a simplistic CF option like Vardy/Perez/Austin more acceptable.

When you watch the likes of Sane and Gabriel both go to City it really makes you wonder what we are doing.

I’m starting to feel me and you are on the same page more these days man :scream_cat:

As long as you include the name of Charlie Austin with a straight (?) face, I’m not sure we’re on the same chapter. :wink:

2 Likes

We looked all over the shop defensively at times yesterday and also had 17 shots for only 2 on target, despite the win our shortcomings are obvious for everyone to see.

1 Like