Arsenal vs Southampton (Premier League)

Once he bangs in a few goals at CF he can be moved there permanently. Wenger always goes on about versatility but if he excels in one place, that’s where he’ll stay.

1 Like

A reverse of what we did with :henry2:

The guardian has it that Alexis didn’t return until late last night. I’d rather he was fit and ready to start.

"Wenger will make a decision on Alexis Sánchez, after the Chile striker returned late on Thursday night from international duty. "

Wenger on Lucas in a separate and recent interview

“He’s not only a goalscorer, he’s good in assists as well and because he has played on the flanks before, he can give a good cross. He has a short backlift and is very dangerous in the box.

He can play on the flanks because he has done it before. But my target was more to add one more player who can play through the middle.”

1 Like

I can’t see Perez playing out wide.
He might be able to deliver a good pass but the problem we have is that there is no one good enough to finish.

I think if he does play, he will come on to replace either Giroud or Walcott, if we need a goal.

It will be interesting to see him play with two of the best midfielders in the PL, Ozil and Sanchez, as well as some long through balls from Xakha.

Perez will 99% be playing on the wing for his first dozen games or so. It’s what Wenger does.

I dreamt about Perez scoring on his debut :slight_smile:

If Alexis doesn’t start, then I can see Perez out wide, with Giroud up front.

Walcott - Giroud - Chamberlain probably makes more sense in Wenger’s eyes.

I’m not entirely sure Perez will start tomorrow.

Walcott has been playing well on the wing so far and is well rested, and Perez won’t be unseating Giroud as our first choice striker in his first game for us. Excited to see him come on as a substitute though.

Cannot wait to see Mustafi and Perez and Xhaka and a full strength Arsenal tomorrow, can’t believe we’ve had to wait THIS FUCKING LONG to see our new signings play. It’s been fucking torture and driving me mad and I’m so excited and enthusiastic for this season now.

I’ve got a feeling Wenger might bench Sanchez because of his late return as well, so I could see the Ox starting as well, especially with a big game against PSG coming up on Tuesday so Sanchez will probably get subbed in.

The fact Walcott will soon be benched for Perez makes me so happy. Perez Giroud Alexis is a proper front 3. Finally!

We don’t know anything about Perez though. Could very well be a signing in the Gervinho/Podolski mould.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t count those chickens just yet

I think thats possible too. And all ill be left thinking is “who’s going to be our new bogey team now”.

See this is what I’m speaking to, lol you know absolutely nothing about Perez as a player, yet he’s already annointed with Giroud (which is a stretch anyways) and Alexis as a proper front three? I never thought you were such a sensationalist but cmon bruh slow you’re roll a bit. Also Theo is good.

1 Like

I’d genuinely prefer Perez upfront and Theo out right. At least Theo doesn’t annoy you as much as he goes invisible in a game but it’s hard to ignore Giroud slow-mo running to the Baywatch theme when a through ball comes his way.

1 Like

Alexis and Walcott on the wings is all that matters for me, those two will be absolutely electric with Xhaka and Ozil doing a madness.

1 Like

Match Stats:

The Gunners have won just one of their last six meetings with Southampton in all competitions (D2 L3), 1-0 back in December 2014.

Saints have scored just one goal in four Premier League visits to the Emirates, failing to score in the last three.

Arsenal haven’t lost in 21 consecutive home league games against Southampton (W15 D6), last losing back in November 1987 (0-1, thanks to Danny Wallace’s goal).

Southampton have kept three consecutive clean sheets against Arsenal, their best ever run against them in all competitions. Indeed, it is as many as they had kept against the Gunners in their previous 32 meetings (all comps).

The Gunners have not lost back-to-back home fixtures in the Premier League since August 2011.

Shane Long scored twice in Southampton’s 4-0 win over the Gunners on Boxing Day 2015, his most recent brace in the Premier League.

Mesut Ozil scored in Arsenal’s 3-1 win over Watford, but has not scored a league goal at the Emirates since December.

Puel is the fourth French manager to face Wenger in the Premier League, with Gerard Houllier the only manager to beat him (Jean Tigana and Remi Garde were the other two).

Santi Cazorla has been directly involved in three of Arsenal’s six league goals this campaign, scoring once and assisting twice.

Southampton also failed to win any of their opening three Premier League games last season, but they went on to secure their best Premier League finish (sixth).

I wonder if, with Giroud back, Wenger will decide that an Alexis-Giroud-Walcott front line is too offensive and will go back to dropping Walcott in favour of a more conventional wide midfielder on the right? Or if he now feels that Alexis-ST-Theo is viable?

Might not find out tomorrow if he decides to play it safe with Alexis and starts Iwobi on the left.

Great suggestion, I’m inclined to think we might opt to dominate early then shore up as soon as possible and conserve some key players for PSG. Giroud is in fine form for France so surely gets the nod.

Maybe Alexis is dropped then, I think he also probably returned too late from international duty.