Arsenal Vs PSG (Champions League)

Interesting looking team if you just take Coquelin out for Xhaka, ugh :expressionless:

Alexis-Ozil-Iwobiā€¦technic, pace, intelligence. Greā€¦ Giroud as striker.

:expressionless:

Wenger has a disgusting obsession with Ramsey.

5 Likes

Today of all days is the day my Virgin Media box decides to just stop working. On hold with customer service now but blatantly wonā€™t be ready in time. Iā€™m fuming. Main reason for having the fucking thing is the ā€œfreeā€ BT Sports package, now Iā€™m going to have to use a shite fucking stream for a massive game.

Cuntā€™s sake

2 Likes

Wow Wenger actually picked almost the exact line up I was hoping he picked. This is much better than just naively going for the same set up without the key figures like Cazorla and Bellerin. If people still wanted the same front three after our last four games, where we donā€™t have Cazorla to pull any strings or Bellerin to occupy channels, I donā€™t think theyā€™ve understood how futile that system is without them. It only works when our best XI is fit.

This is a good experiment and change up.

Gibbs for Monreal isnā€™t too bad but I donā€™t understand why Coquelin is in for Xhaka. If youā€™re going to play Ramsey in CM, you need a player similar to Arteta in the holding role and it remains to be seen if Coquelin can do that job. Xhaka should be the lynch-pin by now.

Iā€™m glad Wengerā€™s seen that Xhaka isnā€™t much of a box to box player at all. Rather than having a central pair that canā€™t push forward, itā€™s better to have either Xhaka, Coquelin or Elneny, alongside a player like Cazorla or Ramsey. All Xhaka could do against Spurs was pass the ball, without the ambidexterity to open a game up anywhere near Santiā€™s level, whilst offering no movement.

I reckon Wenger is trying to play Ramsey in the role he was in years ago when he was our star man.

We may as well give it a go given how crap all the other options are. With Giroud, Ozil, Iwobi and Alexis around, Ramseyā€™s late runs should get chances.

Alexis on the right for once, wow, must say I can see him, Iwobi and Gibbs whipping in some decent crosses tonight.

4 Likes

Lovechild Ramsey getting another start in a different position, Granit must be secretly seething.

Tell me how Iwobi, Alexis and Walcott has worked wonders for us since Cazorla was out?

Itā€™s only worked when the first XI are all fit mate.

With the players available we had to change it up instead of sticking to a failing game plan.

Some nice positivity here Hass! I do dread seeing Ramsey in the line up and would have preferred Xhaka but letā€™s see what Wenger is trying to go for here whilst our main system is on the back burner until Santi and Bellerin are back.

1 Like

While I agree 100% Ramsey should not be playing, Xhaka hasnā€™t really set the world on fire either. I have not yet been impressed with his passing accuracy (not talking about the Denilson specials here) nor his technique (seen first touch like Walcottā€™s too often) - I am hopeful he can develop into the player whose trajectory got us excited in the first place, but bar a couple of screamers against lesser opposition, I am not impressed.

Le Coq and El Neny are probably the best two on form but at least Ramsey offers us a little more in the final third and a bit more drive overall, which is probably what Wenger is looking forā€¦ either way, I would love if he, Ox, and Theo were jettisoned and we got 2 proper players.

1 Like

We need to find a compromise/solution in midfield so starting Ramsey there is not an issue imo. What is an issue is not starting him alongside Xhaka which on paper at least makes more sense as heā€™s a player both more comfortable & useful playing the ball from deep & supporting ball circulation from the Def third to Mid third than any of our other available midfielders are whilst Ramsey is quite clearly more effective in advanced positions than anyone else.

I hoped that pair would create situations where our midfield line is staggered with Xhaka receiving deep & Ramsey ready to receive slightly further forward similar to how Dahoud worked with Xhaka for Gladbach.

2 Likes

I do agree that Granit has only been ok when he has played and not anything special, but Iā€™d rather see him get an extended run as its such a small sample size. We pretty much know what to expect from Ramsey whoā€™s had over 200 appearances for the club and aside from a cinderella 13/14 season he is underwhelming.

1 Like

Surely his toe is still brokenā€¦ however, Ramsey CM, if he is to play anywhere in the pitch itā€™s there.

Absolutely love the idea of Alexis on the right for a change. This will be interesting.

Fully expecting Iwobi to come away with his head held high too. Maybe no output but a solid game either way.

I can see why we play Coquelin next to Ramsey, you need mobility to cover the back 4 if he is going to roam around, fingers crossed he plays a reserved game and shows us all a solid range of passing.

1 Like

Ramsey canā€™t play in the middle he doesnā€™t have the awareness or tactical discipline, then thereā€™s the fact he cannot keep possession.

Thatā€™s what Wenger has done for years, now itā€™s like people are OK with Ramsey playing in a position that he just isnā€™t built for lol, Wenger is one of the greatest magicians of all time.

Alexis has played on the right before and I wasnā€™t that impressed.

Iwobiā€™s defensive work is so poor fucking hell.

1-0 to PSG, deserve to be behind. Awful performance so far.

Terrible terrible.

Sanchez has been absolutely wank too. Passing and synergy is all over the place from the team as a whole and Sanchez has been as guilty as anyone so far.

This game is as dire (by us at least) as my stream.

Also Wengerā€™s having zipper problems, thatā€™s usually a prelude to a few bad results :laughing:

And some people think we are making progress hahahahahahahah, this has been absolutely dire PSG just toying with us.