Arsenal Vs Middlesbrough (Premier League)

True, although I’d argue that most of our chances have been from a more open play and that we’ve been having a hard time to break down defense in numbers all season. Certainly it doesn’t help when both of them aren’t quite at their best, but I’m not convinced it would have really changed an awful lot when it comes to brute forcing our way to a goal. It’s still something we have to figure out how to do consistently and for that changing personnel may be the solution.

There are probably enough examples out there of him bailing us out with his presence, but ‘gambling’ on the ball failling well by hitting the targetman time and time again, seems such a naive tactic in such games. If anything it’s in a way easier for centre backs to anticipate on.

1 Like

Yesterday’s game so poor I felt like we were going to lose rather than win. I saw no chance of score it just looked one of those games where a draw is the best we could come up with

If you replayed their two chances with the header straight at Cech and also the blocked shot 10 times, I’d bet we’d concede more often than not. It was a lucky point really, it’s why I never get carried away with win streaks.

The dominant match we’ve had this season was Arsenal 3-0 Chelsea, that was important for us. Most others have been tight games that we’ve done well to come through.

2 Likes

It’s not a gamble rather than a theoretical measure of efficiency. Our chances of being a danger at set piece’s increase with Giroud on the pitch and like our presence in the opposition box does.

Making use of a striker like Giroud will naturally yield more success than Alexis playing a false 9. Look at Alexis’ heat map and he’s operating mainly in the area just infront of the opposition box.

Alexis didn’t win a single aerial duel and their CB’s were never bothered by him in any meaningful way - This is why tactical pluralism is important for Arsenal this season. Even if CBs can anticipate Giroud they still have to combat his presence in the air and his hold up play. This means the CBs are occupied dealing with him which means the players around him make more effective runs and balls.

We saw it against PSG away, Giroud occupies CBs very well. I suggest you rewatch Alexis’s goal and focus on Giroud in particular. That Mustafi ball from deep is something that we’ve not utilized well either. Look at the penalty for our second goal against Southampton

I agree but Özil had a simple pass to lay a simple header on Alexis and missed it, aside from being off the pace in general. Usually he makes that pace with precision, and we get a goal.

Like I said there obviously are examples of success with said tactic, but the ‘simpleness’ (can’t think of a better word) of that strategy could make us less dynamic and more predictable in the long run. Something we definitiely were when he was a starting player for us. But since the window is closed, we probably have no other option than going that route.

Against these teams Giroud is an option BUT you need more than 1 in the box so you need to play someone else up front too. Weve played this way b4 with Giroud and it hasnt worked because defenders can outmuscle 1 man .

3 Likes

Late in matches last year we were throwing Giroud and Welbeck on when we needed a goal and it was working pretty good. Low on options ATM though.

Yup thats the Wenger hail mary after 70 mins but ,Im thinking we need to make a game plan of it for teams that will lock up the shop . Since neither are currently available though we are short on options .this isnt new its been happening for years and years . its about time we tried something else.

2 Likes

Simplicity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prosaicness.

Just got to watch this game and we were lucky to escape and this is the kind of game where you wonder how many PL titles we’d have had over the past decade with a real gk because this point is all due to Cech IMO and I’m sure he’ll earn us a few more over the course of the year. Cech was motm. The post was runner up lol.

1 Like

It’s going to be interesting to see what we’ll do with his successor in two years time.

The only reason I have Cech ahead of Ospina atm is because of experience and leadership. Ability wise I rate Ospina ahead of Cech but I don’t see him as Cech’s successor

Looking to the future I’m not sure what I want from a keeper. I don’t buy into the sweeper ball playing GK hype. I want a solid shot stopper with average distribution

Jack Butland would be a signing I would make in the next year or two. Guy is gonna be world class

Not sure about Butland tbh. He needs to lay down some solid form and game time, he’s been tossed around on loan alot too. Not sure he has the mentality to start at a top club any time soon.

I haven’t given up on Szczesny either, I’d like to think he’s done alot of maturing at Roma